Self tacking jib

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
bobflshmn
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Self tacking jib

Post by bobflshmn »

If you have been nosing around the latest new sailboats you see the growing trend to setup self tacking jibs. I know there are some performance issues, but since I will never race, and have recently lost my first mate I am looking to make sailing simpler.
I searched the mods and only found one with a jib boom which does not appeal to me. Has anyone else done a self tacking jib on their Mac? plenty of info on the net to set it up, just curious if someone has a tried and proven plan for MAC specific.
Thanks
DaveC426913
Admiral

Re: Self tacking jib

Post by DaveC426913 »

This isn't answering the question you asked but...

I single-hand most of the time and I never race. But I've found ways to sail without giving up too much.

Maybe there are things you can do to simplify your sailing that don't require a self-tacking jib?

In the winds I sail in, I rarely need to use the winches at all. (If I need the winches, it may be time to furl the jib a little.)

Best addition I made on my boats was a set of EZ-cleats on the jib cars. They auto-lock and release your jib sheets just by yanking on them from the helm.

I can trim and tack and sail without ever leaving the helm.

They cost me about $90 for the pair. Just stick em in your tracks (I didn't even remove my blocks), and you're good to go.

Some threads on EZ-cleats.

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/phpBB/v ... =9&t=24934
http://www.macgregor26x.com/forum/viewt ... =8&t=17938

Just a thought.
bobflshmn
First Officer

Post by bobflshmn »

DaveC426913 wrote:This isn't answering the question you asked but...

I single-hand most of the time and I never race. But I've found ways to sail without giving up too much.

Maybe there are things you can do to simplify your sailing that don't require a self-tacking jib?

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/phpBB/v ... =9&t=24934
http://www.macgregor26x.com/forum/viewt ... =8&t=17938

Just a thought.
Dave that is a better answer than the question I asked. About 1/2 the price, and no labor. This will be my mod this weekend. Thank you
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

I am very pleased to have been able to pass on something I learned. :)
Brian-Up-North
Deckhand

Post by Brian-Up-North »

Hi,

The old links on the EZ cleats (above) no longer work. Does anyone have a picture of how this works and know where you get them?
I am hoping this can be a poor man's self tacking jib

Thanks
B
kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by kurz »

when I remember correctly, BWY sells the "ez cleats" also.

Best mod ever!!!

Never used the winch since I bought :macm: in 2011...
WinSome
Engineer

Post by WinSome »

I’ve been admiring this auto job setup on stingy sailor site. Looks easy to try out.
https://stingysailor.com/2016/08/13/how ... -for-free/
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

WinSome wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:46 am I’ve been admiring this auto job setup on stingy sailor site. Looks easy to try out.
https://stingysailor.com/2016/08/13/how ... -for-free/
Not sure that sail shape is going to do much for you. But, won't cost anything to try it. Let us know how it goes if you give it a try. I'd sail with jib only to verify it was actually helping.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

here,s E/Z cleat one mounted on my cockpit gunnels

here r two more mounted om my 7ft genny track mounted on the cabin roof top

There were a few guy,s on here who done self tracking jibs & were not very satisfied with their performance they do work better on bigger boats

J 8)
jimbo
Engineer
Sailboat: Other

Post by jimbo »

Something I built for my current yacht.

First requirement is that the jib to be self tacked fits inside the forestay / mast triangle. Larger sizes - gets a tad messy.

So - and I am going from memory now - from the cabin top tracks - add another jib car with no pulley on the starboard car and a jib car on the port side with a pulley. (pulley not "really" required if the jib car has a suitable hole to run the line through). Secure a line at the starboard jib car, run in front of the mast through the pulley on the port jib car and back to a cockpit jammer. Fit a pulley to the jib clew. Run the line above through this pulley. The line from starboard to port will allow the jib to self tack. You can adjust the line tension to have "some" control of sail shape.

BUT

The jib sail shape will probably be terrible as you will have limited control of leech and foot tension. Typically too much twist off higher in the jib and the clew of the jib too close to the mast reducing the slot size and degrading pointing ability (wider slot can be better for pointing - counter intuitive I know).

But it will work and if you are tacking up a narrow channel it sure makes life easy.

If you have a jib with an adjustable clew then this may assist in correct sail shape by allowing the pulley to be located higher up the clew plate that you would normally consider.
2011 Macgregor 26M "Edge of reason" eTec 60hp. SOLD to happy new owner
Now sailing a Castle 650.
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

I've done a lot of singlehand sailing on my :macx: and what makes it easy for me is where I sit at the helm. I prefer to position myself on either side of the helm pedestal, depending on tack. The working area of the cockpit is between the pedestal and the companion way. My positioning is so that I have one hand on the wheel and one hand to adjust the sheets, ready to step up to deal with the winches.

The drag on the original rack & pinion steering was just enough to allow for hands free sailing. The new rotary steering is not as stiff but I figured how to work that as well. When singlehanding, I never sit behind the helm, and even prefer to remove the helm seat altogether.
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

K9Kampers wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:16 am I've done a lot of singlehand sailing on my :macx: and what makes it easy for me is where I sit at the helm. I prefer to position myself on either side of the helm pedestal, depending on tack. The working area of the cockpit is between the pedestal and the companion way. My positioning is so that I have one hand on the wheel and one hand to adjust the sheets, ready to step up to deal with the winches.
What are these "winches" you speak of? :D

I only ever use winches when the wind is heavy.
MacX 2000 Honda BF50A 'SeaSaw'
PhysicsTeacher
Deckhand

Post by PhysicsTeacher »

Brian-Up-North wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:53 pm Hi,

The old links on the EZ cleats (above) no longer work. Does anyone have a picture of how this works and know where you get them?
I am hoping this can be a poor man's self tacking jib

Thanks
B
Here is the link to Blue Water Yachts' version of the EZ Cleats:

http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/4306-1v0.htm

Good cheap mod. Allows you to easily single hand from the helm.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.