Epirb vs sat phone

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
whgoffrn
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Epirb vs sat phone

Post by whgoffrn »

As I march down the list of items I feel I may need for a long trip in the exumas I'm now down to epirb vs sat phone and small solar panel to charge sat phone....i know the standard is an epirb but I can't help but wonder if a sat phone and way to charge it is better..... hopefully I'd never need it but just wonder what everyones thoughts are on which to choose

Also wonder if any one else has any ideas on man over board with GPS abilities .... one of my biggest fears is one of my kids going over ... I've had my dinghy pop off once and it was quite a challenge trying to find it in waves ...i can't imagine trying to find a person or small person / child in a storm.... the obvious is keep kids down below and I know that but kids don't always listen things happen and as in my usual fashion I like to over prepare
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Epirb vs sat phone

Post by Sumner »

If you had the SAT phone who would you call? The other devices don't require to you do anything but activate them and then they do the work and you can try and handle the situation. If you have a good VHF radio Coast Guard would probably hear you for at lest 75 miles off Florida. I could pickup NOAA weather almost 100 miles out. I'm not saying rely on the VHF radio but you could possibly still use it to describe the situation after deploying a locator device.

Here is a good review of the main locator devices and also gives you items that the kids and you (what happens if you are the one to go overboard) could use.....

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/ ... ncy-Beacon

.............. I'm assuming that you have a radio that can send a distress call and receive distress calls from personal beacons and other boaters.

A friend loaned me a PLB when I went to the Bahamas. Since I've bought a SPOT. I mainly bought it to use at home as I ride the dirt bike out in canyons alone and at times have no cell phone service. So it is my backup if something happen to me out there. I also now carry it on the boat. The Endeavour came with an EPRIB but I still haven't re-registered it. Need to do that.

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

An ounce of prevention:

http://www.apsltd.com/race-safety-line- ... -clip.html

At least for the Gulf crossing, or any open-water or wavy conditions. Of course the kids will be wearing life jackets whenever there is a risk of going overboard, so maybe make a rule to wear tethers too.

My vote is for EPIRB. Because it's automatic. And, you don't need to be awake, alert, or even conscious, for that matter. And it's probably more durable than a sat-phone. And kids can easily activate it themselves.
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Yeah I do have a vhf radio 1 mast antenna another large Shakespeare antenna and 1 handheld.... that's primary communication but I wanted something in case boat swamped fried electrical or battery died boat caught on fire or a megladon ate my boat (ok that was a joke lol) but who id call is family with gps coordinates and let them do all the talking to coast guard for me.... I actually just bought fiorentinos sea anchor 30 mins ago ...zach the owner I believe? Guy in all their videos said he bad a catalina 25 in 16 foot breaking seas with a 6 footer and it did well... they claim 1/2 knot drift once deployed and id likely need a storm sail to keep it pointed into the wind with as flat of a stern as the boat has ...so

Ive spent a lot of time in other categories I felt needed attention rudders drogues sea anchors water makers ais communication ...got the fuel filters u suggested this week ty sumner and found 2 neptune 6 gal tanks surprisingly at Wal-Mart and hoping they restocked so I can get the other 2 so I have 4 neptune 6 gal tanks today and an endless list of stuff to where my friends say if the apocalypse comes i can live at sea lol

I'm just now scratching the surface on man over board what ifs....most of my time has been spent in other areas and I haven't figured out do i want a quick release for my dinghy and leave my new motor on it so I could catch back up to the boat ...jack lines are an obvious up coming addition....and what kind of alarm systems for mob for kids and or me ais or GPS or both if they make them?

Some of my additions seem I'm sure unnecessary a drogueAND sea anchor for a mac? It's because the age of my kids and I know if I go over they couldn't get me and all of us likely die ....when me and my buddy sailed through a nasty nasty storm to test the macs abilities I know id never do that with just me and my kids.. I know with my kids on board I would likely throw out the anchor on the banks if hit by a squall early and wait it out or if in open water I'd throw the sea anchor early when I prob could have sailed through it ok had another adult been with me..... but you just never know so I prepare for the worst it's just how I've always done...so we prob will drill for mob this summer in the keys and figure out if a quick release for the dinghy and leaving the dinghy motor on is a good idea or bad idea along with trying to learn what new modern technology has to try to mitigate this as much as possible
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

I'm looking at the Garmin inreach... I like the fact that it can send and receive texts ...and the messages are more customizable instead of the ones you program into spot... I never realized how expensive a sat phone is so I don't feel that the cost outweighs the advantage it has so I'm thinking inreach vs epirb now ...... both once again have their advantages but with the tracking and messages sent received and ability to use rechargeable batteries indefinately.....im almost feeling the inreach has more of an advantage...... an epirb will automatically turn on if water touches it yet wont do a thing if one of your kids puts the propane tank for the grill under the galley and it leaks in the middle of the night and everyone is unconscious where as the tracking services of spot and in reach let family know where you are if they don't get the "we're all ok and going to bed.. text u in the am" text they can call for u knowing something is wrong...... as with all things boating always the compromises to weigh
jimmy alonso
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by jimmy alonso »

I use the inReach
https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/

After the hurricane last year when no cell phones were working I was able to send and receive emails and text messages to my daughter in California.
The battery lasts a long time you can pair it with a iPad or cell phone and use its GPS as a backup. When gone on a trip I change to the Expedition plan for unlimited text, email, tracking points and basic weather. And it works from inside the boat.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

In most places EPIRB's are mandatory if going more than 2 miles offshore.

Here is the equipment recommended by the ASA

http://www.ussailing.org/wp-content/upl ... 2017.0.pdf
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Jimmy Alonzo ty for feedback that's exact product I was thinking of getting....to me it seems to do everything a epirb will do and also send and rec texts and weather....although at an additional cost ....but my trip was only going to be 2 months so I think I read 65 bux a month....plus I can use a solar panel to recharge and lasts 10 days... unless I'm missing something it seems to have a few advantages with tracking charging texting . Do u have the Delorme or Garmin version eBay has some cheap delorems that I think? Are the same
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

I hope not mike cause I already do that from time to time 2 miles....wonder if a spot or inreach or sat phone works in place since all have sos capabilities
kadet
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet »

epirb all the way it is designed specifically for the purpose. It broadcasts so emergency aircraft and vessels can locate you not only relay the destress via satellite to ground stations, they are waterproof and designed to work over the period of their life 5-10 years on standby depending on model. All rescue vessels and most aircraft are fitted 406mhz beacon locators. If it takes them several hours to reach you without continuous GPS location data you maybe several miles from where they are looking.

How waterproof is your sat phone? If you have lost all your electronics on board from being capsized and swamped how are you going to report your position accurately enough for another vessel to find you at night?

How much is your life worth? For $300 it is cheap life insurance so get a freaking epirb and carry your sat phone as well. 8)
Last edited by kadet on Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner »

kadet wrote:epirb all the way it is designed specifically for the purpose. It broadcasts so emergency aircraft and vessels can locate you not only relay the destress via satellite to ground stations, they are waterproof and designed to work over the period of their life 5-10 years on standby depending on model. All rescue vessels and most aircraft are fitted 406mhz beacon locators. If it takes them several hours to reach you without continuous GPS location data you maybe several miles from where they are looking.

How waterproof is your sat phone? If you have lost all your electronics on board from being capsized and swamped how are you going to report your position accurately enough for another vessel to find you at night?

How much is your life worth? For $300 it is cheap life insurance so get a freaking epirb and carry your sat phone as well.
I agree. One thing I don't like about my SPOT and others like it is that you read that the response time can be all over the place. Not to bad if I'm laying next to my motorcycle with a broken leg but not so good for an emergency on the water. Also I think they are reluctant to take family members seriously if they try and contact them because they haven't seen updates for a day or two. I personally would never count on family members to make a judgement on your condition. Puts a lot of burden on them and you read on the boards about them calling in only to find out the person's locator had bad batteries or they had turned it off, or on the other side the family is not keeping a close track of you. If you want the best get the EPIRB. You can still get SPOT or something like it if you want friends/family to track you,

Sumner

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Mac-Venture Links
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

The two I'm trying to weigh out to see which one I think would be best is epirb vs inreach .... I'm a total rookie at this so correct me if I'm wrong but I think spot uses the globalstar network where inreach uses iridium network which I think I've read is much better ...from the limited time I've read ....is the response time still much slower with an iridiun device than an epirb ....inreach is water proof and has long battery life so those are pros in its favor but didn't know an epirb was better response time???
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

The new EPIRBS can locate you anywhere in the world to within 3 meters AND they have a homing beacon that the rescue boat can home in on to bring them directly to you as in bad weather people can be very hard to see in the water. The homing beacon is like a radio beam they can follow to take them straight to you, or thats the way its been described to me by a good friend who was a high up in rescue services

In general a EPIRB battery will last over 24hrs from activation and the notification to rescue services is with 1 hour of deployment, the reason its 1 hour is they have to do all the checks when they receive your distress signal, firstly they try and contact you to ensure its not a false alarm.

A mobile phone or satellite phone is not a replacement for a EPIRB, it may be a nice addition to but certainly not a replacement
Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner »

The following is a quote from one boater's assessment of which to go with ...
True Personal Locator Beacons (PLB) operate on “official” GMDSS/SOLAS radio frequencies to communicate with the international, government-operated emergency satellite network. PLBs have some limitations compared to Emergency Position-Indicating Radio Beacon devices (EPIRB), but use the same satellite communications network. This system is monitored by government (often military) emergency response agencies.

The SPOT device by SPOT, LLC and the InReach device by DeLorme, Inc., are referred to as “satellite messengers” or “satellite communicators.” These devices also communicate with satellite networks, but those networks are privately-owned and operated. Their “911” emergency feature is routed to a privately-owned and operated emergency control desk. What is important to understand is that the SPOT and InReach devices are not GMDSS/SOLAS-compliant EPIRB-class devices.
https://gilwellbear.wordpress.com/2013/ ... -plb-spot/

The important factor if you are looking for the most risk adversion is that Spot and InReach calls go to a private control desk and then they have to decide if they should contact the appropriate authorities whereas the EPIRB's are monitored by government agencies directly.

The author of the above finally decided that for their cruising needs and risk assessement that SPOT would work for them. I have SPOT but for a better sense of security believe that we will re-register the EPRIB we have and make sure it still works or get a new one before going to the Bahamas after rethinking all of this.

We were headed there with the Endeavour and are at Marco Island, FL as I write this. We were on our way south 2 days ago to the Keys and then on to the Bahamas when a line to the transmission that I can't get to sprung a leak rendering the transmission useless. We are waiting for a weather window now to sail north back to the boatyard. Might try to fix it when we get there or wait until next winter, but we are done for now and will head home. Glad this came up as it made me rethink the whole deal,

Sumner

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Mac-Venture Links
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Back to the exumas again? Please post pics yours are by far my favorite to read and re read ..... so correct me if I'm wrong I've been reading a good deal on these devices and here's what I think I've learned .... the iridium network (what the in reach uses) while it works better than a spot it still has a higher frequency transmission so rain and cloud cover affect it more and you may not get your signal out to the satellites which may make it not as reliable if you are floating with pfd on trying to hold it up in the rain towards the satellites where as the epirb and plb has a stronger and better signal making it much more likely to reach a satelite...... and please someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe a plb and epirb are basically the samr an epirb just has a longer life and the epirb is registered to the boat where the plb isn't BUT SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG an epirb and plb both have the same approx signal strength and wavelength as to have the same reliability for hooking up to a satelite
Which if that is true to me a plb make more sense in the exumas where it wont take over 24 hours to rescue ...ocean crossings an epirb makes better sense ..... if both have the same signal strength I will prob go with a plb as carrying it on you at all times is a huge bonus ... if hurt on an island, I've had my dinghy engine die in strong currents before and push me out luckily it started after a few hundred more tries , what if mob .... an epirb would be useless sitting on your anchored boat as you are pushed out to sea in your dinghy trying to paddle with little to no water ...
So I believe if a plb is equal in signal strength and only con is battery life I will opt for a plb and in reach over the epirb but someone please correct me if I'm wrong in thinking a plb with GPS has the same strength and signal as an epirb

For me if my assumption is correct about a plb being nearly 90% as strong of a signal the portability is invaluable as i won't be swimming in thunderball grotto with my epirb in a plastic bag ....also the cost is less giving me the ability to have both a plb and inreach so I can text family member to call the various numbers I have pre given them to ENSURE the message is clear that I'm in distress ...so I do believe that's my plan