A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Alexis
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Model year questions

Post by Alexis » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:31 pm

Hi,

The Mac 26X I purchased is a third hand from 1998. I have a flew clues that I was told the correct production year, but I was wondering if I could check it?

I looked at pictures online and noticed that:
- the rudder heads on my boat are the aluminum ones
- the pedestal is the lower version: it stops just above the wheel axis, while I noticed that on some boats the pedestal gives more space to include an instrument above the wheel.
- on my boat the mainsail sheet is directly connected to the pedestal, while on some boats the sheet is attached to a chrome arch leaned in front of the pedestal. Was that arch an option on the 26X?

Does this description match with a 1998 26X?
Is there a way to check the exact production date (and other details if possible) from the hull number?

Thanks,

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Model year questions

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:32 pm

Alexis wrote:Hi,

The Mac 26X I purchased is a third hand from 1998. I have a flew clues that I was told the correct production year, but I was wondering if I could check it?

I looked at pictures online and noticed that:
- the rudder heads on my boat are the aluminum ones
- the pedestal is the lower version: it stops just above the wheel axis, while I noticed that on some boats the pedestal gives more space to include an instrument above the wheel.
- on my boat the mainsail sheet is directly connected to the pedestal, while on some boats the sheet is attached to a chrome arch leaned in front of the pedestal. Was that arch an option on the 26X?

Does this description match with a 1998 26X?
Is there a way to check the exact production date (and other details if possible) from the hull number?

Thanks,
Sounds like a '98. Mine's a '99, but in a transitional period. I have the ballast vent in the bow, but the removable step where the vent was on earlier models. I also have the SS rudder brackets. And the low pedestal.

Speaking of pedestals, the main sheet originally attached to an eye strap on the pedestal. The helm guard with the welded loop for the main sheet is available from BWY, but was not standard.

But the HIN, on the starboard stern and also on the little seat behind the galley, will tell you the model year.

Alexis
Engineer

Post by Alexis » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:59 pm

Tomfoolery wrote: Sounds like a '98. Mine's a '99, but in a transitional period. I have the ballast vent in the bow, but the removable step where the vent was on earlier models. I also have the SS rudder brackets. And the low pedestal.

Speaking of pedestals, the main sheet originally attached to an eye strap on the pedestal. The helm guard with the welded loop for the main sheet is available from BWY, but was not standard.

But the HIN, on the starboard stern and also on the little seat behind the galley, will tell you the model year.
Thanks, Tom!

My ballast vent is under the step.

Yes, the sheet is on that eye - which needs a little bit of maintenance by the way: the nuts have a tendency to loose their grip. I check them every season.

I have to check the HIN again (I thought I had a picture but I can't find it...) I am guessing that the year appears in that number?

Do you know if there is a way to tell if the deck core is wood or the newer material, without having to cut through the roof?

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:55 pm

Hopefully this helps.

Ray

https://wadler.org/boat-mac/hullid.php

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:03 am

This is a great site. 8)
NiceAft wrote:Hopefully this helps.

Ray

https://wadler.org/boat-mac/hullid.php

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:08 am

Here's the pedestal guard.

http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/6303-1x0.htm

It keeps the main sheet lower block higher than my engine control, which I reconfigured to make it easier to use, but resulted in the lever being higher up.

Cougar
Engineer

Post by Cougar » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:15 am

Alexis wrote:
Do you know if there is a way to tell if the deck core is wood or the newer material, without having to cut through the roof?
If it's a '98 it's most probably wood. The transition to newer spec was done in '99. I'm a lucky bastard, my :macx: is from april '99 and appears to have all the new specs, despite being from early '99. For example, I already have the hinged ladder, whereas some later boats still have the removable step.

warfin
Deckhand

Post by warfin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:25 pm

Look for a brass plate, starboard side, tramsom. Also there is one above and abaft of the stove area. From memory the laast two numerals give the build year.

warfin
Deckhand

Post by warfin » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:44 am

Before I'm corrected, it should be: above and to the rear of the gally area.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:29 pm

warfin wrote:Also there is one above and abaft of the stove area.
Mine is riveted to the horizontal part of the seat cushion support, abaft the galley. And to the stern, starboard side, like most boats of course.