Is There No Hope For The Widow’s Son?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Is There No Hope For The Widow’s Son?

Post by NiceAft » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:03 am

I was told to try again, so here’s hoping this desperate attempt for rescue will get a positive response. Despite attempt's to alert us to the urgency of action, nothing has changed.

Heath has produced an amazing accomplishment by creating a site that even he did not imagine would create a world wide tribe of MacGregor enthusiast, but that is the past. He seems to have acknowledged his time demands have not allowed him to pay the attention to this site in the previous manner. He deserves accolades for what he has done. Now, we are facing all of this coming to an end. Either by sudden death, or trickling membership, with no means of replacements. With the extent of the varied expertise in our community, is there no one with a viable solution? There was a brief surge of interest, but that has ceased.

Someone among us must have the capabilities to continue this site, or know someone who can. There are plenty of moderators who can continue what they are doing, but what is needed is a new attention to the site. The next time this site goes dark, it might be for good. That is a loss we will all lament.

I am sorry to say that I don't have any answer either, but I am only one; we are a vast tribe.

Ray
Last edited by NiceAft on Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

bwygirl
Engineer

Re: Is There No Hope For The Widows Son?

Post by bwygirl » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:29 am

We reached out to Heath but did not get a response. We at Blue Water Yachts are interested in continuing the site. It is a valuable asset to the MacGregor community and we would hate to see it go completely. If someone could call us and talk about the next step and what is involved in maintaining a site like this, I would really appreciate it.
Cheryl, Blue Water Yachts

Bobglas
Engineer

Re: Is There No Hope For The Widows Son?

Post by Bobglas » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:56 am

Please Please Please don't let it die! This site gets me through the winters especially! :| :macm:

Alexis
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Is There No Hope For The Widow’s Son?

Post by Alexis » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:07 pm

Hi,

IT professional here ! I may be able to help but I would like to ask a few questions about the way it is owned, organized, hosted, maintained... before going any further.

I can be contacted at alexis (dot) g (dot) robert (at) gmail (dot) com

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:32 pm

Alexis wrote:Hi,

IT professional here ! I may be able to help but I would like to ask a few questions about the way it is owned, organized, hosted, maintained... before going any further.

I can be contacted at alexis (dot) g (dot) robert (at) gmail (dot) com
I wish you well. I hope you can get the info you need. As our boats (and many of us) age, we will be in greater need of a forum for maintenance and related issues. I have a 60 year old O'Day Sprite, for example, and I am out there seemingly all alone when it comes to keeping this little gem sea worthy and performing. What little info is out there on O'Days is spread very thin due to their age and the large number of models under that brand, but limited online discussion is, also, a real handicap. I would hate to see our MacGregors fall into that situation.

Alexis
Engineer

Post by Alexis » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:54 pm

Herschel wrote:I would hate to see our MacGregors fall into that situation.
I can't agree more! I feel very grateful for this forum to exist. It really helps in maintaining and sailing better these rather unusual boats.

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:36 pm

Well, I can’t announce any commitments for anyone at this point, but I will say that as a result of the conversations and emails I’ve been working on today, the future of this forum may now have the potential to be much brighter. Much work still has yet to be done, but stay tuned... and keep the faith.

Thanks, Ray, for stirring the pot.

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:26 am

GREAT! THANKS

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:31 pm

Great to hear Kevin.

I offered my IT help and even the option to buy the domain and site. We must move it forward and there are plenty of us willing to help.

--Russ

DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:27 am

Also let us know if there's anything the rest of us can do to help. Money? Time?

warfin
Deckhand

Post by warfin » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:44 pm

Perhaps we could rely on that bright morning star?