List of Questions: Ballast, Sails, etc.

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
zamber
Just Enlisted

List of Questions: Ballast, Sails, etc.

Post by zamber »

Below are a list of questions that I could not find answers anywhere on the web. Instead of 14 additional posts, I put them in one. Someone on the forum asked what I wanted to do with it. I am attracted to the MacGregor 26 because it is the only boat with a big cabin for week long sails and it is trailer-able. I was surprised how few places can take a big sailboat out of the water. Also the movable keel is something I like, I will be in mostly shallow water and besides I see a lot of big sailboats destroyed because the keel hit bottom. Any answers would be appreciated, please.

1. How strong is the mast? How long does it last? How much to replace?

2. How strong are the sails that come with the original? How long does it last? How much to replace? What type of sails would you recommend and what would the cost be?

3. Can the ballasts be filled with saltwater? How are the ballasts cleaned? How much of a problem are zebra mussels? Can lead weights be put in the ballast?

4. What modifications would you recommend?

5. Do the windows scratch up a lot because of the location? What is the cost to replace windows?

6. I saw a video where they used magnets to hang up curtains, is there metal around the windows?

7. How powerful of a car is needed to pull it?

8. What is the cost to change the keel? How delicate is the keel when it hits bottom?

9. What breaks/decays on it the most?

10. Is a 5 HP sufficient to dock it?

11. What repair cost you the most?

12. People say it is not good for crossing the Atlantic, though I read it was done, but what about the Gulf of Mexico?

13. How much harder is it to sail than a regular sailboat?

14. What is the worst thing about it?
Chinook
Admiral

Re: List of Questions: Ballast, Sails, etc.

Post by Chinook »

I think a comprehensive response to your post would require a small book. The format here is not well adapted to such a shotgun approach to researching the boat. Each one of your questions could easily sustain a major thread. I commend your interest, and I hope you can obtain satisfactory answers to your questions. I would suggest that you identify a Mac owner in your vicinity and arrange to go out for a test sail. It would give you a great opportunity to discuss things in detail. I think you'll find most Mac owners are happy to talk about their boats, and this would be a great way for you to gain the information you seek.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I agree with Chinook, but I also don"t wish to dissuade you from investigating further.

1) Something not to worry about. do you anticipate striking low branches or bridges? 36,000 boats made. Not a problem more than any other sailboat.
2) Mac have not been manufactured in years. If you're buying a Mac with original sails, expect to replace them.
3) Lake, River, ocean; makes no difference. It's all good.
4) This is a personal question. Check the Mod's section for choices.
5) Windows are fine. Some older boats have had a leak problem, but again, 36.000 boats made; not a problem. If there is a problem, this site has the answers to solve your problem.
6) Plenty of curtain Mods in the Mods section. No idea about magnets.
7) 4,000 lb towing capacity with a towing package. the greater the towing capacity, the better. I use a GMC Acadia. Not a monster truck.
8 No keel. :macm: has a dagger-board, :macx: has a centerboard. When raised, the boat floats in a foot of water.
9) It's a boat. Things happen.
10) Yes. As long as your are not fighting strong tides or winds. Then you will wish you had more umph.
11) It's a boat. They don"t say for nothing that B.O.A.T. is an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand
12) Anyone who says they have crossed the Atlantic in any 26' boat that has not been reequipped for an Atlantic crossing is a liar. With the prices you have been seeing for a Mac, do you really expect an Atlantic crossing. Many sail the Gulf of Mexico, crossing it, I don't know.

As Chinook said, find a Mac owner in/near your area, ask to go for a sail, or at least ask to sit down and talk.

By the way, you never said where you are located.
Ray ~~_/)~~
JotaErre
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by JotaErre »

I'll answer what I can...
zamber wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:10 pm Below are a list of questions that I could not find answers anywhere on the web. Instead of 14 additional posts, I put them in one. Someone on the forum asked what I wanted to do with it. I am attracted to the MacGregor 26 because it is the only boat with a big cabin for week long sails and it is trailer-able. I was surprised how few places can take a big sailboat out of the water. Also the movable keel is something I like, I will be in mostly shallow water and besides I see a lot of big sailboats destroyed because the keel hit bottom. Any answers would be appreciated, please.

I THINK IT'S STRONG ENOUGH. MINE IS 22 YEARS OLD AND IT DOES NOT SHOW ANY PROBLEM

2. How strong are the sails that come with the original? How long does it last? How much to replace? What type of sails would you recommend and what would the cost be?

IF THE ORIGINAL SAILS ARE IN GOOD SHAPE, THEY CAN LAST SEVERAL YEARS MORE. BUT, AS IN ANY SAILBOAT, SOONER OR LATER, YOU'LL HAVE TO REPLACE THEM

3. Can the ballasts be filled with saltwater? How are the ballasts cleaned? How much of a problem are zebra mussels? Can lead weights be put in the ballast?

MY MAC HAS BEEN IN THE MEDITERRANEAN ALL ITS LIFE. THE MEDITERRANEAN HAS A HIGHER SALT CONCENTRATION THAN THE ATLANTIC OR THE PACIFIC, AND THERE HVEN'T BEEN ANY PROBLEMS UNTIL NOW. OCASIONALLY, POR SOME BLEACH OR AN SPECIFIC BIOCIDE PRODUCT IN THE BALLAS TANK AND THAT'S ENOUGH. ALSO, WHEN YOU TAKE THE BOAT OUT OF THE WATER, EMPTY THE BALLAS TANK

5. Do the windows scratch up a lot because of the location? What is the cost to replace windows?

6. I saw a video where they used magnets to hang up curtains, is there metal around the windows?

8. What is the cost to change the keel? How delicate is the keel when it hits bottom?

I FIND IT A BIT SCARCE WITH A STRONG CROSSWIND.

12. People say it is not good for crossing the Atlantic, though I read it was done, but what about the Gulf of Mexico?

I LOVE THE MAC, BUT I WOULD NOT LIKE TO CROSS THE ATLANTIC WITH IT. MACS HAVE TRAVELLED FROM FLORIDA TO THE BAHAMAS, OR FROM CONTINENTAL SPAIN TO THE BALEARIC ISLANDS, BUT I WOULDN'T RISK LONGER CROSSINGS.

IT'S A REGULAR SAILBOAT... THAT CAN ALSO MOTOR FAST.

IT USED TO BE TO DEFEND IF AGAINST THOSE WHO CONSIDER IT CRAP WITHOUT EVEN HAVE GOT INTO IT, BUT NOWADAYS, MACS SEEM TO HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED (SOMEHOW RELUCTANTLY) AS "MORE OR LESS RESPECTABLE BOATS".
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Should last forever. Not a concern. If you hit something (bridge/trees), it's probably $1,000 to replace. So don't hit stuff.

Depends on use and care. New sails are approx $1,000 each. With proper care, they will last a very long time. Headsail depends on types of winds you expect to be in. My suggestion is a roller furling genoa. It can be "reefed" to make it smaller. That's what I fly.

They are filled with whatever water your boat is floating in. Once the boat is launched, the valve is opened and it fills with seawater and then shut once full. I drop a few chlorine tabs to keep stuff from growing.
Lead weights? Some have modified daggerboards with minimal benefit. I see no need for this.

We have a whole mods section.
BWY motor disconnect
Magma grill
Boarding ladder
Topping lift
Furling headsail.
Waterproof VHF radio
Comfy cockpit cushions

They don't scratch easily. They are plexi. Ours are 12 years old and look fine. my understanding is they can be replaced fairly easily.

Hmm... Don't think so. Got a link to this video?

3,000 + tow capacity.

I think BWY sells them for approx $500. Depends on the boat. The 26x board will kick up when grounding. The 26M dagger will hit hard. My dagger caught an underwater cable (attached to a floating dock) while motoring slow. It put a mark in it but didn't break. The boat came to a suddern stop. With that said, the dagger is meant to be sacrificial. If you hit a rock or somthing hard at fast speed, it will break off.

The motor and sails

Yes. But what boat are you looking at? The 26 D/S will get in/out of a dock with a small motor. The X/M are powersailors meant to go fast.

Engine maintenance. Change oil/filters/plugs/impellers.

It's not a blue water boat. If you are asking so many questions, my guess is this should not be a consideration.

The X/M have high freeboard and are a compromise boat. They don't perform well under sail.
With that said, its' a VERY easy boat to sail. The boat is light (trailerable) and tender. It will heal faster until the ballast kicks in. For some people this is an adjustment. But it's a VERY easy boat to sail.
The D/S are true sailboats and perform well and are also easy to sail.

The X/M sailing performance and hard to dock in high winds.

15. What is the best thing about it?

Value and size. For us, it is the largest trailerable sailboat ever built. Stand up headroom in the cabin. Big motor that gets me back in when the weather turns bad. This forum. Tons and tons of information and great people to ask questions. Comfortable and flexible. Reliable and safe. With 36,000 of these boats built, there are very very few incidents of failures and those tend to be a mixture of stupidity and alcohol. Great boat for families. Can go in shallow water where keel boats cannot. Best value for the price.
--Russ
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Just a quick note on the ocean crossing question. If you are remotely interested in blue water sailing a substantial distance from land in a 26-foot sized yacht, I suggest you look at a keel boat such as the Contessa 26. That will give you a good comparison regarding hull shape and keel construction designed for significant blue water sailing vs. our Mac's whose main strengths are trailerablilty, power motoring, and cabin space for extended vacation trips. Our boats are light sailors, as our ballast becomes more effective as it rises above the water level of the pond in which we are sailing. In a strong gust, until the ballast "catches", a Mac can feel like a dinghy for a few seconds, and that can be unnerving for even the experienced sailor not to mention guests. Several folks have taken a Contessa 26 around the world and across oceans. Some of our Mac members take in the Bahamas, the San Juans, the Channel Islands, and the Great Lakes, and similar venues around the world but we watch the weather closely when we do. And I judge those trips as the guys on the "edge" of our capability. If they haven't already, somebody will probably try to take one of our Macs across the ocean some day, but it won't be me, and I have been sailing since 1959 and have done some blue water sailing on other boats. I speculate about such an unadvised ocean crossing trip in a Mac because a couple of "dudes" did take a Hobie 18 from Africa to the Caribbean a few decades ago. So, you never know who might try what. As I recall from the article in Hotline (the Hobie mag), they ceased talking to each other, much less being friends, as soon as they touched down in the Caribbean. It was a miserable idea and a miserable experience.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

zamber wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:10 pm Below are a list of questions that I could not find answers anywhere on the web. Instead of 14 additional posts, I put them in one. Someone on the forum asked what I wanted to do with it. I am attracted to the MacGregor 26 because it is the only boat with a big cabin for week long sails and it is trailer-able. I was surprised how few places can take a big sailboat out of the water. Also the movable keel is something I like, I will be in mostly shallow water and besides I see a lot of big sailboats destroyed because the keel hit bottom. Any answers would be appreciated, please.

1. How strong is the mast? How long does it last? How much to replace? Strong enough. It's a light mast on a light boat, but short of abuse or a lot of spirited sailing for years, even the old ones seem to be just fine.

2. How strong are the sails that come with the original? How long does it last? How much to replace? What type of sails would you recommend and what would the cost be? If they're original, they're worn out. They were worn out a year or two after the boat was new if it was sailed at all.

3. Can the ballasts be filled with saltwater? How are the ballasts cleaned? How much of a problem are zebra mussels? Can lead weights be put in the ballast? Whatever you're floating in is what the ballast water will be. Don't bother with lead - it'll only make the boat heavier and therefore sit lower and sail slower.

4. What modifications would you recommend? That's a bottomless pit. Whatever mods float your boat. One of my favorites was the steering quick disconnect on my :macx: . Makes for very light steering under sail, while retaining the ability to drop the outboard and use it in a pinch to get some forward speed going (like when caught in irons).

5. Do the windows scratch up a lot because of the location? What is the cost to replace windows? Not if you don't do stuff on them to scratch them. Cheap enough to get new ones, though.

6. I saw a video where they used magnets to hang up curtains, is there metal around the windows? Someone musta glued steel plates to the liner. Or used carbon steel screws (not a good idea on a boat).

7. How powerful of a car is needed to pull it? Depends on the model. With the :macm: being the heaviest, you're looking at 5000 lb tow rating minimum with at least 500 lb tongue weight, in my opinion. Don't need a lot of HP if you're not climbing lots of big hills or mountains.

8. What is the cost to change the keel? How delicate is the keel when it hits bottom? Swing centerboards like the 26S and 26X will just kick up. Dagger boards like the 26D and 26M will stop the boat and/or break something.

9. What breaks/decays on it the most? Gel coat gets chalky, just like every other boat.

10. Is a 5 HP sufficient to dock it? Depends on the model, but in still air with no current, 5 hp is plenty for all of them. Add a bit of wind with a high freeboard (26M/X) and it starts getting exciting.

11. What repair cost you the most? The trailer when I put new disc brakes on it, including the coupler and lines and all new tires (2-axle retrofit).

12. People say it is not good for crossing the Atlantic, though I read it was done, but what about the Gulf of Mexico? If you have to ask, it was nice knowing you.

13. How much harder is it to sail than a regular sailboat? Not harder - different. It's hard to get into much trouble in a Mac trailer boat, though. Unless you forget to fill the ballast and put a sail up anyway. That can get you turned turtle real quick.

14. What is the worst thing about it? It's cheaply made. Which is one of the best things about it, too, as a solidly built boat of the same size and interior volume wouldn't be able to do what the Macs do - too heavy to tow with a car, too high on the trailer for easy launch/haul, and certainly too expensive to buy. They're out there, but there's a reason the Macs are still so popular, even many decades out of production for some models.
Just some random thoughts, with overlap with other responses. And yes, each question could (and has) been the seed of many lengthy discussions in the past. Do some searching around here for more detail on just about anything you could want to know.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Hey zamber,

Okay, so it sounds like you thinking of a boat. That's cool.

First thing you need to know is that there is no 26 foot boat that is safe to sail in the Atlantic. Even the 40 foot catamarans that are all over the South Pacific will not venture in to the Atlantic.

If your going to sail in the South Atlantic you need a bigger boat - the distances from one safe harbor to another are just too great and there are not many islands out there either.

If you going to sail in the North Atlantic you need a boat that can take the cold. Even boats that sail the South Atlantic do not go into the North Atlantic as much because they are not insulated for the cold.

So the MAC has two issues in regards to the Atlantic Ocean - It's too small for the South Atlantic and it's too thin for the North Atlantic.

Without knowing which hemisphere you talking about I can tell you to look at boats like the 11.4 Jinn Fizz Jeanneau. It's well insulated and easy to sail. That's the smallest boat I would take into the Atlantic.

Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Boat, I am with you on the size of boat for the Atlantic, but you might enjoy this fellow's trek across the North Atlantic in a Contessa 26. He starts in PEI, Canada, and goes to the Caribbean by way of the Azores and Canary Islands. I think he gives the 26-ft cruiser a good run for its money. He does eventually suffer a knock down in the Southern Atlantic that cuts his effort to circumnavigate the globe short. But still what he does accomplish is pretty noteworthy. He is leaving the Caribbean at the end of April and heading home to PEI with his "Wave Rover".
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=co ... &FORM=VIRE
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

Russ wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:26 pm 15. What is the best thing about it?

Value and size. For us, it is the largest trailerable sailboat ever built. Stand up headroom in the cabin. Big motor that gets me back in when the weather turns bad. This forum. Tons and tons of information and great people to ask questions. Comfortable and flexible. Reliable and safe. With 36,000 of these boats built, there are very very few incidents of failures and those tend to be a mixture of stupidity and alcohol. Great boat for families. Can go in shallow water where keel boats cannot. Best value for the price.
+1.

Don't know a Mac owner who doesn't love their boat for all the right reasons.
MacX 2000 Honda BF50A 'SeaSaw'
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Herschel wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:58 pm Boat, I am with you on the size of boat for the Atlantic, but you might enjoy this fellow's trek across the North Atlantic in a Contessa 26. He starts in PEI, Canada, and goes to the Caribbean by way of the Azores and Canary Islands. I think he gives the 26-ft cruiser a good run for its money. He does eventually suffer a knock down in the Southern Atlantic that cuts his effort to circumnavigate the globe short. But still what he does accomplish is pretty noteworthy. He is leaving the Caribbean at the end of April and heading home to PEI with his "Wave Rover".
Hey Herschel he did not mention South or North Atlantic and your talking about a British built boat very small like the Dragon Class and those are very thick and made for the North Sea and Norwegian Coast. Any of the Nordic Folkboat or Danish boats are fine for short legs in the North Sea passages but a larger boat is required when you get out into the North Atlantic because there is no Island bridge after the Acores. Longer passage requires more provisions.

The small thin fast boats are really good in the South Pacific because the legs are shorter - more like a voyage than a passage. Pacific Islanders called them "voyagers" because they were really following a highway of island stops all across the oceans from Hanga Roa to Adamstown to Pape'ete to Apia right on to Fiji and Solomon. They used the Pitcairn, Cook, Solomon and French Polynesia. Small thin open boats like the MAC do fine on short passages in warm weather. Not so good in the North Atlantic.

zamber just said "Atlantic" so I must take into account the South atlantic where passages are VERY long - months without land. For that you need a bigger boat.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Boat, I encourage you to check out his following weekly updates. They run up to episode 31. You are absolutely right; it is an English built boat from the 70's, and he did a lot of refurbishing. He takes Wave Rover from PEI to the Azores, then the Canary's, then to the Caribbean. Essentially crossing the North Atlantic and the equatorial Atlantic both. If he is on his new schedule, he will depart the Caribbean at the end of this month and head north, back to PEI. I agree with you that I would not want to head out anywhere on the oceans of the world with a 26-ft boat, but you do have to kind of admire this guys resourcefulness and thoroughness of preparation, and his accomplishment given that he did set out in the Atlantic with a 26-ft-er and lived to tell the tale. I threw this in because I sort of think of all of us 26-ft-er types as a loose brotherhood of sorts. With that, I'll give you the last word on this! :wink:
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I'll give you the last word on this!
As if you have a choice Herschel :D
Ray ~~_/)~~
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Herschel wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:58 pm Boat, I am with you on the size of boat for the Atlantic, but you might enjoy this fellow's trek across the North Atlantic in a Contessa 26. He starts in PEI, Canada, and goes to the Caribbean by way of the Azores and Canary Islands. I think he gives the 26-ft cruiser a good run for its money. He does eventually suffer a knock down in the Southern Atlantic that cuts his effort to circumnavigate the globe short. But still what he does accomplish is pretty noteworthy. He is leaving the Caribbean at the end of April and heading home to PEI with his "Wave Rover".
Thanks for posting this Herschel! I spent my lunch hour watching some of his videos. Very interesting guy.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

You are welcome. He does have a very thorough knowledge of his boat and his mission. I hope he posts videos of his homecoming leg due to start in the next day or so, I think.