26M Better than 26X?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: 26M Better than 26X?

Post by kmclemore »

Inquisitor wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:32 am
TF1500?

My Dad had one when they were new. He always wanted one again.
Nope, but close. 1953 MG TD. I dragged it out of a garage about 8 years ago and after a lot of work it's now very nice.

Inquisitor
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Inquisitor »

kmclemore wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:36 am
Inquisitor wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:32 am
TF1500?

My Dad had one when they were new. He always wanted one again.
Nope, but close. 1953 MG TD. I dragged it out of a garage about 8 years ago and after a lot of work it's now very nice.

I didn't recognize, but should have. I preferred the TD's... especially the ones with the big diameter wire wheels. My Dad and I built a very nice metal model of one back... oh... 50 years ago. I grew up getting a double dose of "English Motoring"... both parents... drove MGB's and then Jaguar convertibles... top-down, heater blasting in 50F weather.
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

The :macx: is the TR-4a if the fleet

The :macm: is the TR-7

( that’s really mean)

Sorry I’ve been out of pocket, big good life changes in our house
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

Catigale wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:58 pm The :macx: is the TR-4a if the fleet

The :macm: is the TR-7

( that’s really mean)

Sorry I’ve been out of pocket, big good life changes in our house
Know the feeling... about both: coming and going from the forum. Always smile when I see your Avatar... you look exactly like my High School buddy.

BUT! :D Having an M... I really disliked the TR-7. It was a POS! Always wanted a TR-6. Would settle for a Viper. :)
Last edited by Inquisitor on Sun May 16, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dguy
Chief Steward

Post by Dguy »

X might be the Spitfire.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

:wink:
Dguy wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:45 pm X might be the Spitfire.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

We like that!
A Spitfire! :D :D

Now...... If we newbies can first survive the training phase this could get interesting! :D :D

8) 8) 🐩
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi kmclemore!

We really think you did a beautiful restoration! :) :)
It takes a lot of TLC and skill to bring back a gorgeous car like that.
We hope you and your wife take many trips with it so more people can see what a real sports car is supposed to look like 👍.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

OverEasy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:12 pm We like that!
A Spitfire! :D :D

Now...... If we newbies can first survive the training phase this could get interesting! :D :D

8) 8) 🐩
My favorite plane... probably because my Dad took me to the original showing of "The Battle of Britain". It was my first non-kid movie. I was enthralled!

Inspiration...
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Great Movie and great association with your Dad!
Those are good memories to hold on to.
8) 8) 🐩
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

Still have my make believe standing purchase order in by bucket list for and M/X, Highlander's specs, 28-30ft. I was on a X for the first time a few weeks ago. No questions the X interior is superior. Like the zero maintenance of the M dagger board....until you hit something then the X swing keel suddenly becomes your favorite. I would gladly give up some M cabin space for a larger M cockpit. Both are excellent boats. More durable gel coat on the topsides would be preferred. Off topic... I switching from New Glass2 to Glidecoat marine professional I report in the fall. Don't want to polish the stripes anymore. Prefer to go sailing.
:macm:
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

:macx: swing keel versus :macm: dagger board

The biggest reseller of the Macgregors boats in the EU said: He selled MUCHE MORE swing keels for the :macx: the daggerboards for the :macm:

Don't know why... But don't trust that the :macx: -keel will stay save all time.

An example: If you stuck with the :macx: - keel in the sand an have a windy day an the boat turns, also the x-keel will break. As soon as it goes in sand, it will not brake by hitting the sand. But be aware that maybe you won't be able to pull the swing keel out of the sand (this occured to friends of mine with there :macx: ). If the boat stays like this you have time to solve the problem. If the boat turns the keel may brake...

If you just hit a stone in the water then the swing keel of course will be the saver way to go...
Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor »

1st Sail wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:17 pm Still have my make believe standing purchase order in by bucket list for and M/X, Highlander's specs, 28-30ft. I was on a X for the first time a few weeks ago. No questions the X interior is superior. Like the zero maintenance of the M dagger board....until you hit something then the X swing keel suddenly becomes your favorite. I would gladly give up some M cabin space for a larger M cockpit. Both are excellent boats. More durable gel coat on the topsides would be preferred. Off topic... I switching from New Glass2 to Glidecoat marine professional I report in the fall. Don't want to polish the stripes anymore. Prefer to go sailing.
I have to agree about the M's cockpit. For me... it really makes the boat a two person only. With even three in the cockpit, it feels like trying to stuff three people on a Love Seat. And you can't confine someone below. :? Sleeping six is NEVER going to happen on my boat. Maybe two and a couple of Grand kids will be doable. Only fleetingly seen an X, but it seems far better in this regard.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Maybe, (if Rodger unretires restarts his company reintroduces the Macgregor product line), what the next iteration should be is a raised top cabin version like that of the later Mac26M with the floor plan of the 2001 Mac26X.
Hmm....What would be an appropriate moniker for it?....Hmm......Ahhha! It could be called called the Mac26XL! :D :D

All the nice features of the Mac26X interior cabin & cockpit layout combined with the cabin headroom of the Mac26M.
Maybe use the Mac26M pivoting mast and include a furling mainsail with the furling Genoa.
Size the transom to accommodate up to a 90 hp engine with a hinged raised slat level stern deck.
Fuel locker cubbys sized to accept 12 gallon tanks with fuel tank selector valve and fuel filter/water-separator.
Build in a real stern arch with brackets to mount the gas fired Barb-B-Que on either side and optional davits and/or solar panels.
Step the mast base so the lowered assembled mast and boom is level above the small Dodger and Bimini for water and road travel.
Use the Mac26M helm pedestal and mainsail traveler.
Add in a lever-cable type aft ballast tank fill and vent valves accessible from the helm while seated as well as a ballast full/empty indicator light.
Wouldn’t hurt to incorporate a ballast purge air pump system with interlocks as an option operated from the helm.
An anchor roller with a valid anchor locker capable of housing an anchor line drum roller winch (also wired back to the helm).
Appropriate bilge pumps.
At least a dual battery system with an optional extended battery compartment.
A real electrical control panel with at least 6 switches using circuit breakers.
Make the Head watertight and have a shower option kit.
A built-in removable for cleaning 20 gallon potable water tank.
An option for grey and black holding tanks.
Have it come on a dual axle EZ-load aluminum trailer with an all-up dry tow weight (with 90 hp engine) of less than 3500 lbs and priced below $20k. :D :D

🤔🤔