to paint or wax topside...when is it "OK" to start thinking paint

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Herschel
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: to paint or wax topside...when is it "OK" to start thinking paint

Post by Herschel »

Dimitri asked:
This seems like a nice old thread to 'bump'.. @Hershel, did you ever paint your boat?
No, but this fall is "fish or cut bait" time for me on this issue. Beginning to wrap my head around it and set aside time in the fall for same. I have often thought I would use the forward hatch as my test piece. When I get it right and feel like the process is working, I'll try the main hatch, trying to learn as I go. I hope I can do a "rub rail to rub rail" job without doing the sides, and it will still look good/right/match.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

OK, I am six months away from painting my topside, which I define as a "gunwale to gunwale" job including hatches, cockpit and stern. I am collecting info and tips. I ran across this on an boats.com website:
"With on deck-painting projects the most important step will be to carefully tape off hardware, handrails, hatches, etc. It would be ideal to remove these things before painting, but in many cases it’s impossible or impractical. For crazing and gouges, the same processes of sanding, filling, and fairing apply as they do in topsides projects. As for non-skid surfaces that were molded at the factory, there’s no way to bring them back; the only solution is either to stick on an entirely new surface like Treadmaster, or paint the areas using the same type of boat paint discussed in the section above on topsides, but laced with a nonskid compound that will dry in place with the paint. You can get boat paint with nonskid material already mixed in, like Interlux InterDeck or Pettit EZDecks, or you can buy your paint and nonskid compound separately and mix them yourself according to how aggressive you want your surfaces to be. Done correctly, a paint job with nonskid compound will provide better footing than the original molded nonskid and will look neat and uniform to boot." Comments from actual Mac painters would be appreciated as the months slide by. :)
Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa »

I'll be rooting for you and following closely particularly in terms of how much work it ends up being and how it looks when you are done! I'm a bit mortified of doing a crappy job, a lot easier to paint a bedroom well...lol I know when I painted my 17, at least half the work was in the prep if not more, so much taping, that part took forever. I think it ended up taking me about 3 weekends to do the whole job, iirc. That's probably a relatively slow pace compared to any real boat painters.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Herschel!

We’re ‘in the same boat’ as it were with top deck painting. For us it’s gonna have to be next year’s project.
New Ablative Bottom paint this year…

We’re currently in SC and have this horrible yellow pine pollen season during the spring in our new season boat prep time.
This lasts until about mid April..sometimes longer 🙄🫣
Before painting I’m gonna have to rig up some kind of covered area with sides to have a weather & pollen resistant work area along side the garage…nothing too permanent or anything to worry the local busybodies… just a 90 day wonder…or a shade gazebo that I can unfurl a tarpaulin over the top & sides.

Pretty much decided upon the Alexseal product approach top deck for both the white & black raccoon stripe.
Will be replacing the windows too as the existing ones are crazing after 23 years and the sealant also has seen better days.

Keep us posted on your efforts!
We can all benefit from our collective experiences!

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

I have a huge tarp that I bought a while back originally to cover my travel trailer, but it is too cumbersome to be wrangling a huge 32x16 ft tarp on the top of my travel trailer at my age. So, I hope to detach mast, of course, build a braced X frame at each end of boat in which the mast will be placed as the peak beam, and the tarp, stretched over and anchored in the ground (or around a tree) at a suitable angle leaving me a temporary "shed" for painting. Very open to ideas about brand of primer/paint. My biggest boat painting job was a ten-ft O'day Sprite I did several years ago. It turned out well, I think.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Stopped by West Marine today. One quart of topside Petit paint is $59.95. Primer same price. :o My O'Day Sprite needs some touch up, so I will use it as my practice boat. Then move on to the forward hatch of the Mac. May use the month of May for the practice run but will probably put off the whole Mac topside until Jan/Feb 2025 when I can trailer it home and put together a temporary cover and the working temperature will be comfortable for the most part. Plus, the autumn is a good sailing season as Florida temperature is more comfortable.
1st Sail
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by 1st Sail »

Following is an old YT post from Boatworks Today. Scrolling thru more recent posts it appears there are some follow up posts. Here is the original from three years ago. The surface finish is amazing for a roll on nontipped finish. Had I not found and had excellent results with Glidecoat I would have made the jump.

:macm: