Post by Russ » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:00 am

Here is a vid that might help

--Russ

Drifter
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: So I just bought a Mac X....

Post by Drifter » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:36 pm

I think once I actually get started trying to rig then that vid might help a lot. Right now I think it's just confused me more, as he seems to have done a lot of customization :D

Good news! - after digging around under the sails in the rear berth, I've found a weirdly-shaped mast holder!

I thought it was the T section thing for the mast, but looking closer it seems those are built into the mast and already attached, so I pulled this big chrome thing out and yet, it is definitely a mast holder!

Sadly the end is a bit bent but I guess it can be straightened.

Next question - where does it actually fit? In the vid above he has a straight one, which seems to be fitted inside the cockpit, in front of the canopy?

I have 2 stainless steel ring things on the back of my boat, and I suspect this mast holder is meant to fit into those? Even then I'm not sure if the dog-leg is meant to point forwards or backwards. Even if that is not meant to be where this thing goes I might use it for that anyway, as it seems ideal. My big concern is if it is too high, in which case it won't fit under my driveway shelter.

Maybe I can cut it shorter?

I'll go see if I can find any pix of early 26X so see where it's meant to fit and at what angle...

Drifter
Engineer

Post by Drifter » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:56 am

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/53090

So I found the pic linked above. That is far too high and no way I could get in and out of my current shelter. :(

Unfortunately the weird shape will make it very difficult to shorten too. I could shave a couple of inches off but it will still be around 8 inches too high (guesstimate).

Mmm.

Bonus pic of my speedboat, which has been sold but waiting for the new owner to fix up the trailer a bit, then I've promised to tow it to their boat club.

svscott
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by svscott » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:41 am

My 1998 26x cockpit mast support is a straight pole that fits into a socket directly in front of the steering wheel. In that location, the height of the support allows for the boat to be used as a motorboat while keeping the mast down, but still high enough that you can stand at the helm and move around the cockpit without the mast too in the way. I imagine the support pipe could be cut down a bunch to lower the mast at the stern but you'd lose the ability to easily use the boat with mast down.

My boat is now home in my driveway for winter and I can take pics or video of anything you want or need to see.
1987 26D - Three Hour Tour; 1998 26X - to be named

Drifter
Engineer

Post by Drifter » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:01 pm

Thanks Scott (?)

I would like to see the arrangement on the later X, yes. Seems they changed from my early design. Can see why, as it must be awkward and expensive to make this dog-leg style.

I'm curious if it interferes with the pedestal guard that I've only just bought (haven't fitted it yet)?

One thing I have realized is that my "mast raising system" seems to be missing a pole. I have a winch thingy but there's no pole for it. :cry:

svscott
Chief Steward

Post by svscott » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:52 pm

Drifter wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:01 pm
Thanks Scott (?)

I would like to see the arrangement on the later X, yes. Seems they changed from my early design. Can see why, as it must be awkward and expensive to make this dog-leg style.

I'm curious if it interferes with the pedestal guard that I've only just bought (haven't fitted it yet)?

One thing I have realized is that my "mast raising system" seems to be missing a pole. I have a winch thingy but there's no pole for it. :cry:
Drifter, here are a couple pics that show the mast support and the pedestal guard with table and cupholders attached to it. The mast support simply slides into a little stainless socket on top of the pedestal. As you can see, there is enough room for the guard in front of the little pole and I mounted the garmin chartplotter between the pole and steering wheel.

My mast raising pole can be seen in the last pic but it's not a great camera angle. I don't have a winch on my gin pole... just a couple stainless brackets that through bolt to the mast deck plate on one end and a couple pad eyes in the other to attach the tackle to. I used the main halyard hooked to the top eye and the mainsheet between the bottom eye and an eye on the fore deck. I'm sure you can devise a similar pole fairly cheaply.

Good luck, and please keep us updated on your progress!

Here is a boring little video I took a few weeks ago that shows how some of my rigging is run. I'll be improving the deck hardware for next year by adding rope clutches and a couple other items.

- Scott

Pics of mast support and gin pole -

Drifter
Engineer

Post by Drifter » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:15 am

That does help, cheers!

I suspect that would still be too high for my shelter... I may try cutting down the one I have, swivel it on the new lower bit and just tie the mast at the front so it is poking out further. It's just tied on at the moment anyway.

What I really want is to be able to lower the mast but keep the bimini up for motoring around without the sails.

GOOD NEWS! I tried starting the old Honda 50 today, after charging the battery....

First few attempts I got nowhere, then remembered it has a safety lanyard lol. Popped that one and she started immediately, which is great :D

What is not so great is I don't see any sign of water 'peeing' out from anywhere? And I'm not sure where to even look for it?

I suspect it's a rubber pipe coming from the engine to the cowling? But there seem to be a lot of pipes... Google image search fails to show anything for the peep hole location of a 1996 BF50A

Drifter
Engineer

Post by Drifter » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:19 am

Quick question - is it possible the pee stream only happens once the engine is warmed up?

I've never had a 4 stroke outboard before :|

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:52 am

2003 model has it on starboard side recess. Your second photo appears to show the outlet with no hose attached, although it's hard to get oriented. Or, it could be the rust tinted clear hose, headed in that same direction. Sorry, I don't own one.

The other end of the hose should come from the engine water jacket...

Owners manual indicates water should be coming out if engine is running.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

svscott
Chief Steward

Post by svscott » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:14 am

That's great news that the engine starts and runs but it should have water coming from the tellale any time it's running. Higher rpm pumps a fair amount more water in mine but even at idle there is a steady stream. I also had no water flow when I first started it and I found that I had salt or sand sediment clogging the plastic outlet port on my BF50a and I used a paper clip to clear it out. The water should be coming out a rubber hose that attaches to the little plastic nipple shown in your second picture.
This is a screenshot I took from one of my first starts that shows the water stream, though it's a weak stream.

Here is the hose that connects to the plastic nipple

For your mast support, you may find that you will want or need two poles at different heights so it'll fit under the shelter but still give you the height you need to lower the mast and use the bimini under power. My bimini fits under the mast or boom when using the pedestal support pole, but the pole did keep it from going forward any further. My bimini needs some canvas repair so I haven't used it yet, aside from just trying it in the driveway.

Drifter
Engineer

Post by Drifter » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:51 am

Thanks Jimmy :)

So it is that hose. Well that's progress...

Yes it's disconnected in the pic cos I pulled it off to see if it was the end fitting that was blocked, but no water from the hose. So then I tried disconnecting the hose from the engine block - still no water.

For my next trick I shall try unscrewing the nipple itself, that the hose attaches to - because I found this:

"Re: Honda 50 no water flow
disconnect water tube from the discharge nipple at the block.
remove the nipple and i will bet there will be debris plugging the oriface.
run the motor on muffs fro about 20 -30 seconds, and yes there will be water blowing every where, and i bet it will clear.
i had the same problem for years before i did this and it's worked well."
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/ ... water-flow

If that doesn't work I'll be frowning a lot, as the next step I believe is to take off the thermostat and make sure water is pumping from the hole. As well as soaking everything that is likely to mean replacing the gasket. I don't have a gasket and a thermostat gasket for a 1995 Honda outboard seems tricky to find anywhere, and I guarantee is not available here in Borneo.

Bonus question! Anyone had any success with that 'liquid gasket' stuff? If so, any recommendations?

Before the boat arrived I ordered (and received) an impeller replacement kit. On the happy bright side when the boat finally did arrive I found in one of the lockers an impeller replacement kit! I'll have to compare the 2, see if they are exactly the same (I'm not sure if there were significant changes with later BF50A engines?)

I guess either way I should try and remove the lower half of the engine and replace the impeller anyway, as I have no idea how old the one in there is. The PO seems the type to service and look after everything well, but could be the opposite and they bought spares because they know it hasn't been serviced? I dunno, so guess I should change it. :|

I'll try changing all 3 spark plugs and the oil filter while I'm at it. I suspect this engine has just been serviced before being sold, as when I checked the oil it's so clean it's literally see-through. When I pulled the dipstick it suddenly popped out and splattered what I thought was water at first, then saw it was just very clear, clean oil. So I'm pretty sure it doesn't need a service but I guess changing the plugs, filter and impeller won't hurt. Unless I lose the woodruff key or have the wrong gaskets... :cry:

The hydraulics seem to be functioning fine, so I'm not touching that!

Did I mention on this thread that I just bought a shiny new Tohatsu 9.8 HP 2-stroke, as a kicker? It's a short-shaft which I've heard is not ideal but I'll see what I can do with it. I already have the engine, in a huge cardboard box in my living room. Still waiting for the transom mount to arrive, then I can try and figure out where exactly to mount it.

Good news - the little 12 liter fuel tank that came with it does fit nicely in the starboard locker. More good news, I see my port locker has the main engine tank and it's a fairly hefty-looking stainless steel one. Clearly not original. The gauge on the pinnacle works and said it's 3/4 full, so that's nice.

I will see what I can do with the transom mount.

I got the 9.8 partly as a spare kicker, and also to fit onto a rubber dinghy. Will take a while to arrive but I have ordered a 3.3 meter dinghy that can take up to 15 hp, so the 9.8 should be fine.

The Tohatsu is 26 kg (57lb) allegedly, putting it about 10 kg (22lb) less than the Yamaha 15 kicker on my old boat.

Cunning plan - fit it on the starboard side, taking care that the rudder can still turn fully, and hopefully with the transom mount low enough that the cavitation plate is level with the bottom of the hull when the mount is down and the engine is tilted fully down. On the inside of the hull, fit thick plastic plating, like a cutting-board type of stuff, and the biggest stainless steel washers I can find (I've ordered a pack of various sizes). Does that sound feasible?

Sorry for such a long post :)

An alternative plan is to figure out somewhere to put it and just mount it on the dinghy when needed, and for emergencies could tow the Mac with the dinghy? However the more I think about that plan the more I find myself thinking 'Well if mounting it on the boat somewhere it will be high and unbalanced, or filling the cabin with petrol fumes... so why not just stick it on the transom?'

Talking of the transom, I see all the gelcoat has a lot (lots n lots) of crazy-paving cracks everywhere. I hope that's just the gelcoat and the fiber is all OK :?

Hi Scott, you posted while I was writing this small book of a post ;) Yes, have identified it for sure, that is the right hose. Fingers and eyes crossed that tomorrow I'll be able to undo the nipple from the engine and everything will be good after cleaning that bit!

For your mast support, you may find that you will want or need two poles at different heights so it'll fit under the shelter but still give you the height you need to lower the mast and use the bimini under power.
Well while it's in my driveway I can, and do, just rest the mast on the hatch. Indeed I didn't know I had a mast rest until pulling the sails out from the main berth! I thought that pole was for the mast raising system but no.

I also have a weird plastic pipe, with some fittings on it? I'm pretty sure it's a 'gin pole' or whatever it's called, to push the jib out when sailing downwind? But absolutely zero idea how to set it up.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:38 am

The pee stream is a well known problem with the BF50. Honda even sells an upsized fitting and hose kit. the problem was so bad I had to clear the fitting on every other trip, and remove the hose and clear the engine block fitting every once in a while.

I ran the hose straight out the hole after removing the outlet fitting and installing the larger engine block fitting. Nice, big pee stream now, and it doesn't clog any more. 8)
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:48 am

Drifter wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:51 am
Thanks Jimmy :)
Sure, but svscott gave the detailed pics that show the exact info (thanks svscott :wink: ).

And, I hate to say it, but I'd probably change the impeller, too. That way you'll know where you are with it. Also, see if you can get the prop off and grease the splines. The PO had never taken mine off, and I wound up with a real treat. Best to take it off once a year and grease the shaft so if you ever break a prop, you can change it.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo

Drifter
Engineer

Post by Drifter » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:50 am

Well I was replying to you when I noticed Scott had replied as well (I'm getting spoilt with all this help, and I do appreciate it!)

Regarding the prop, I need to take it off anyway as PO has a (rather battered) 4 blade on there and he also supplied the original 3 blade. I'll go back to the original.

So any thoughts, advice or warnings regarding the 57 lb kicker motor?

And liquid gasket stuff?

I believe the actual dinghy is even heavier, around 100lb, so will be like having an extra person on board. I've already decided the Big Mac will have a maximum of 4 people, inc me, same as my old boat.

Other than the kicker/dinghy combo I intend keeping weight minimal. For example I think I'll just for 12V fans rather than a generator and aircon, use a pretty small ice box and basically nothing on board that doesn't need to be there.

My general mindset is more like camping than luxury yacht, as I'm already somewhat bemused at the idea of a little 50 pushing it along and there's not a huge amount of space inside. Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's pretty much the perfect compromise for me really, as long as it's as least reasonable on speed. Certainly looking forward to getting her on the water and trying her out. First I need to pull it out of the garden again and have a go at raising the mast... :wink:

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:47 am

Drifter wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:50 am

So any thoughts, advice or warnings regarding the 57 lb kicker motor?

And liquid gasket stuff?
I think if you can throw 57 lbs around, it won't be a problem. Depends a lot on the user. Lighter is easier obviously. All of my small motors are 1955-1957 vintage. They aren't terribly light.

There are very few places I use liquid gasket, unless in emergency situations. Can you get gasket material and cut your own? That's what I would do rather than gunk it together.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo