So I just bought a Mac X....

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Re: So I just bought a Mac X....

Post by NiceAft » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:43 am

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6npwhos19uyw ... 5.jpg?dl=0

A penile implant for an elephant.

Do they have elephants in Borneo?
Ray ~~_/)~~

Drifter
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Drifter » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:01 pm

We do, but this boat came from Japan...

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:05 pm

:D :D :D
Drifter wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:01 pm

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:29 pm

Drifter wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:01 pm
Maybe he gifted you. :evil: :D
Ray ~~_/)~~

Drifter
Engineer

Post by Drifter » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:42 am

Quick question - the webbing strap on my winch snapped (did I mention that mishap?) so I'm looking to replace it.

Looking at what is locally available, I think that strap was rated for 2000 lbs. The 26X is more like 2500 lbs, and was moving at the time, so hardly surprising I guess.

(If I didn't mention it, before leaving the dockyard I tried testing my brakes to make sure they could stop the boat/truck/trailer combo, also to check the boat was secure. It wasn't secure and rolled forward, managed to miss the bow-stop and went sideways, gouging the bow and snapped the winch strap like a cotton thread. Happily it stopped before reaching the back of my truck)

I read online someone recommending dyneema rope? That seems crazy expensive, then another chap said nylon winch rope, which is like super strong, very light etc.

Sounds like a plan?

Wondering if I need to upgrade the winch itself? I see affordable ones offering 3500lbs using steel cables. I have no idea if they will fit my trailer or how easy it is to replace the cable with a winch rope for a 4x4 truck?

I guess what I'm asking is what do the original trailers use, and are they up to it or do you guys tend to upgrade?

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:19 am

Since you don't have anything stock with that trailer it's hard to comment. Your has rollers??

I would replace it with a nylon strap. I just replaced mine with something rated at 5,000 lbs from Amazon. Do you have Amazon in Borneo?
It doesn't have to lift the weight of the boat.

Also, I have a ratcheting strap that goes over the cockpit holding the boat to the trailer.
--Russ

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:37 am

Also, if you have rollers, you need to strap the boat to the trailer so it can't move fore and aft. This usually looks like straps from the bow to the back portion of the trailer - each side in addition to a strap over the boat to hold it down on the trailer (or stern straps if your trailer is long enough). The winch should keep it from moving aft - if you've got a good winch strap. Roller bunks are nice for launching and retrieval, but the boat is basically loose on the trailer. So, a bit of extra tie-down is in order.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:47 am

Russ wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:19 am
It doesn't have to lift the weight of the boat.
This is important. It's not lifting the boat; it's pulling it into the bow block, and holding it there.

From the description of the bow taking off sideways, it sound's like the bow wasn't in the block. That's not good. It should be snugged in there so it can't move sideways or forward, and as Russ pointed out, the stern should be strapped down.

There should also be a safety chain from the trailer bow block tower/structure to the bow eye. It doesn't have to be tight, and in fact it's better if it isn't, as it would be hard to make that connection if it was. It just has to be there in the even the winch or strap fails, to keep the boat from moving back on the trailer.

My chain is just a short length, with the middle link nutted onto one of the existing winch mounting bolts, and wrapped around the bow block structure. There's a chain quick link, which is a chain link with the long hex barrel nut to close the gap, which hooks onto the bow eye and both ends of the chain. It's in the way of the winch handle, which is a convenient reminder to remove that chain (and secure it through the ladder) before doing any prep for launching.

Not a great picture, but it shows the hook on the winch line, and the quick link connecting the chain to the bow eye also.

Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Drifter
Engineer

Post by Drifter » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:10 am

Hi Tom! You posted while I was posting :) I do indeed cover these points below:

Yes.... as mentioned, I tested to make sure the local attempt at tie-downs were secure - and they weren't.

I'm currently using trucker's ratchet straps, 1 on each corner, so it can't go too far backwards or forwards. For the strap which snapped I have added a chain, though it just has an open hook which I need to improve on.

Yes, we have Amazon, in that I can often order from the UK or USA Amazon sites. An awful lot of the time I get a "This item cannot be delivered to your address. Delete or change address" message but some things can be shipped.

Regarding tie-downs, any recommendations? Those trucker things are perhaps a bit over-kill and are certainly clumsy and beating up the poor old boat a bit.

And yes, this trailer has rollers. I love the concept but while it sure did move too easily when I tested the brakes and snapped that strap and does NOT move easily by just pushing on the boat. I can't move it.

I do need to move because 1. I've painted 95% of the underside with anti-fouling (would prefer shiny white gelcoat but it was pretty rough and already antifouled, so I just sanded and repainted it). So need to move it to reach the unpainted bits, and 2. I need to fit the new middle ballast valve, and needless to say it's directly over a bit of trailer so I can't get it in there.

Pushing by hand is not working and it can't really go any further forward, so my next cunning plan is to repeat the mishap but this time with those sturdy straps... ie move it forward a bit, then go back and jam on the brakes, to roll the thing backwards.

No, the strap doesn't need to lift the boat but I saw how that current strap just snapped and didn't even slow the boat down, so yeah, I want something stronger. I can't say what the strength of the current ones are meant to be. They are black and about 2 inches wide - but I see some claiming 600lb and others claiming 2000lb that fit that same description?

Now I hear 5000 lb? And on Amazon I see these:

www.amazon.com/CarBole-Black-Trailer-Re ... ref=sr_1_7

10,000 lb?

The numbers keep going up, but they all look the same as that black strap that snapped like a cotton thread? :|

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:49 am

The differences may be what the straps are made of.

My trucker strap is wrapped around the trailer and boat at the forward section of the cockpit. My recollection is it's a 10,000 lb rated strap. It is also yellow, not black. Who knows if that difference signifies anything. It appears to made of a man made material. Definitely not cotton.

I would go for a 10,000lb rating. The higher the rating, the better protection, the less worry of snapping. But I state the obvious. :wink:
Ray ~~_/)~~

Drifter
Engineer

Post by Drifter » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:39 am

I just dutifully ordered a 10,000 lb strap from Amazon :)

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:32 pm

Check the serial number posted on the rear. The last four numbers indicate the month and year made. The first numer in the sequence gives the hull number progressively from one, which was apparently not sold, to four thousand something which was the production run over the years.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:41 pm

Replace it with a strap rated at NLT 4000 lbs.

Like your trailer tires, just being exposed to the elements will degrade the material. So plan on replacing the strap every 3-4 years. :wink:
Drifter wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:42 am
Quick question - the webbing strap on my winch snapped (did I mention that mishap?) so I'm looking to replace it.

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:01 pm

dlandersson wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:41 pm
Replace it with a strap rated at NLT 4000 lbs.

Like your trailer tires, just being exposed to the elements will degrade the material. So plan on replacing the strap every 3-4 years. :wink:
Drifter wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:42 am
Or, you can get a much heavier rated strap and replace it less often. :wink:
Ray ~~_/)~~

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:43 pm

This thread is getting long.

Drifter, I would suggest going forward you create new threads with the specific topics so it gets more reads.

eg: "What trailer strap should I use" might be more pointed and have more members respond.
--Russ