So I just bought a Mac X....

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

OverEasy
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: So I just bought a Mac X....

Post by OverEasy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:56 pm

I used to think that dealing with our inflatable was a challenge but after watching the nested boat video in calm water I know that I’d be a major hit on “YouTuber’s Greatest Hits” with just a bit of chop-wind-wake. :o :? :| :D

More power to those with the dexterity to pull off the launch-assembly and disassembly-retrieval!
I’m pretty sure that I’d be swimming with the fishies 🐠 🐟 🎣 :D :D

Like the prior model personally…. Looked more stable and more utility…. But, to each their own 👍😊😎😎

Best Regards

Drifter
First Officer

Post by Drifter » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:36 am

Well I have an inflatable and have used it twice now - and both times was constantly paranoid about punctures :?

And putting the thing together is such a pain. Pump all 4 sections a bit for shape, insert all 3 floor sections, carefully, and the pointy bow thing, then fiddle with the side bits to hold the floor rigid (they don't work so well...), then pump the the 4 sections up fully, then the other stuff with engine, fuel tank, assemble oars etc.

Even with practice it takes about 30 minutes of fiddling and trying not to puncture the thing.

A hard dighy that split in half, then just takes 3 big wingnuts to put back together again seems like a dream in comparison. What I really need is one that will fit in the back of my Hilux, so I can also take it camping etc.. 8)

OverEasy
Captain

Post by OverEasy » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:30 am

Hi All

Yeah, the inflatable is no picnic either.
Getting one that fits the back of a Hilux (or back/top of minivan) & deck would be an ideal solution for sure.
We looked at this “2” person fishing plastic as a potential contender but nixed it when we saw how little freeboard and lack of stability. Not light either!

This Polycraft Tuffy 300 as a tow behind boat & Hilux (or minivan) seems to be 10x more stable and useful.

There’s got to be something out there…

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:05 pm

Other dinghy alternatives discussed here in the past include Walker Bay dinghies and the folding Porta Bote. Search the archives ...

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:37 pm

I have had an 9.5’ Achilles inflatable with an inflatable floor for sixteen years. I inflate it with the supplied foot pump, and it’s ready to go in about twenty minutes (maybe less). Once inflated, I just plop it in the water. If there was a any part of the process that is difficult, it’s mounting the 50lb 4stroke, 6HP Mercury. I have not dropped it in the drink yet.

First mate
Ray ~~_/)~~

Drifter
First Officer

Post by Drifter » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:54 pm

I'm starting to feel my inflatable is the worst of both worlds...

A rigid floor would give me a lot of peace of mind and be generally practical and fast to get ready but hard to store. An inflatable floor would also be fast to get ready, but with easy storage. In fact I could store it inside the boat...

My current thing with it's complex 8 part floor thing is a PITA, taken a long time, weighing a lot and it still tends to bend in the middle now and then.

If pre-assembled and towing behind the 26X it should be OK but there's nothing casual or easy about it. :|

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:42 am

My Achilles also has an inflatable keel, helps against drifting/side slip.

If I remember correctly, Chinook has towed an inflatable on some long cruises. He pointed out that if an inflatable flips, it won't sink; not so with a solid like a Walker Bay. Alto Walker Bay does offer some sort of a ring around the boat. I think Highlander has that. Still, more of a pain if it swamps.
Ray ~~_/)~~

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:29 am

Drifter wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:36 am
Well I have an inflatable and have used it twice now - and both times was constantly paranoid about punctures :?
That boat looks fairly sturdy. I doubt you will puncture it unless you hit a submerged stick or something at speed. Or fishing gear.

It looks too large to store on deck. That's where I store mine inflated or deflated with floor still installed.

As Ray said, installing the motor is probably the hardest part. My little 2.5hp Suzi is still dicey. I attach a safety line as it's lowered into the dinghy. I never tow any distance with motor still installed. I had a big blow almost flip it once.
--Russ

Drifter
First Officer

Post by Drifter » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:08 am

So today while fiddling around the Big Mac I found out why we heard a loud 'DONK!' last time.

My alloy prop is quite badly damaged, with 2 of the 3 blades missing bits on the end.

No rocks in that area, just muddy bottom, so presumably hit some floating debris.

Max 4 people, overnights but rare for anything longer, so not carrying much water or provisions; I generally try to keep the boat light.

Any recommendations for the ideal prop? Off the top of my head I think the one on there is a 8 3/4 x 10. Dark and mosquitoes out there at the moment, and it might not be ideal anyway..?

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:04 am

Are you happy with the current prop? Maybe just get it reconditioned. I used to bang up our powerboat's prop and it was amazing how they could fix it.
--Russ

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:25 am

If the existing prop worked well, you can just read the diameter and pitch off the hub and get another one.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:31 am

Do both as Russ and Tom said. Get the prop repaired, and also have a new one on board for when there is another such prop issue.
Ray ~~_/)~~

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:45 pm

NiceAft wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:31 am
Do both as Russ and Tom said. Get the prop repaired, and also have a new one on board for when there is another such prop issue.
My boat was overpropped. I think BWY props their boats for sea level and salt water (their turf).
I couldn't get RPMs up and went down a size. Kept the old one for a spare (still have it stored) expecting to damage the new prop like I did with my powerboat. Nope. Same prop. Some paint worn off, but it's been great.

My old runabout boat ate props. Or I guess it was the captain's fault. I sent them in for reconditioning and came back looking brand new. Amazing what they can do with aluminum props. SS, not so much.
--Russ

OverEasy
Captain

Post by OverEasy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:10 pm

Hi Russ!

Hmmmm….🤔…..
I wonder if that might be some of the rpm limitations we are experiencing with our old Tohatsu 50 hp 2-stroke….

Is your engine a 50 hp? 2-stroke?

Would you happen to know the prop numbers for your old and current props?

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:35 am

OverEasy wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:10 pm
Hi Russ!

Hmmmm….🤔…..
I wonder if that might be some of the rpm limitations we are experiencing with our old Tohatsu 50 hp 2-stroke….

Is your engine a 50 hp? 2-stroke?

Would you happen to know the prop numbers for your old and current props?

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
It's a Suzuki 70 4-stroke, so my rig isn't going to compare to yours.

The boat is in storage right now. Next time I go out to check on her (later this week), just for giggles I'll get the prop sizes.
--Russ