Sail or Motor

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Would you improve the sailing abilities of your Mac at the loss of its motoring prowess?

Nah! Its good enough for me now.
78%
Sure! I'm a sailor first.
11%
Undecided! I bounce back and forth also.
11%

Total votes: 18

Drifter
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Sail or Motor

Post by Drifter » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:11 am

I think it bothered him.
:D :D :D

socalmacer
Chief Steward

Post by socalmacer » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:37 pm

Sailing is something in your blood. I've spent the last 2 years using my boat for strictly motoring off the Southern California coast even leaving the mast at home in a lot of cases. Having sailed the boat lots in the past (original owner of a 1996 X) I knew it would not be long before I would have to quench by thirst for sailing again. Well, I did just that 2 weeks ago with the wife and some friends. There is nothing quite like sailing out from the harbor on a perfect summer afternoon with the wind filling the sails and nothing but the blue sky and the ocean to take in. Did I set any sailing speed records that afternoon or reach my destination ahead of schedule. No as I did not have a destination to reach nor speed record in mind. My sailing needs were met and I was able to take in some good sailing music in the process....John Denver - Calyspo, CTN - Southern Cross and Looking Glass - Brandy to mention a few. When the sailing was over and it was time to head back, I dropped the sails and headed back to the harbor at a pace most sailors could only dream of. Oh yay, I made it back in time to have dinner at my favorite restaurant in the harbor to have dinner and a cold one with these same friends. The experience was priceless and would not have changed a thing that day!

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:41 pm

Socalmacer said:
The experience was priceless
So was the post, thanks.
Ray ~~_/)~~

opie
Captain

Post by opie » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:56 pm

I bought my X in 2004 when I was 56. No regrets. No keel envy. No center console envy. Sailing out to our local 5 mile ocean buoy, motoring on the inside to Charleston, entering shallow water, backing down to sound-side beach and stepping off in calf-deep water, using it as a RV on the water, sleepovers with the grandkids in the v-berth......... so, I'm keeping my MacGregor 26X until some boat-necessary part of my body gives out.

Opie .. 72 yrs.

(and still raising mast only by hand)

Dougiestyle
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Dougiestyle » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:31 pm

opie wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:56 pm
I bought my X in 2004 when I was 56. No regrets. No keel envy. No center console envy. Sailing out to our local 5 mile ocean buoy, motoring on the inside to Charleston, entering shallow water, backing down to sound-side beach and stepping off in calf-deep water, using it as a RV on the water, sleepovers with the grandkids in the v-berth......... so, I'm keeping my MacGregor 26X until some boat-necessary part of my body gives out.

Opie .. 72 yrs.

(and still raising mast only by hand)
You go Opie sounds great.
Dougiestyle
1998 26X , Nissan 50D, "Water Buffalo"

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:34 am

so, I'm keeping my MacGregor 26X until some boat-necessary part of my body gives out.
I’m with you Opi.

I bought my 2005 :macm: in 2004, when I was fiftyfive :D

The :macm: mast though is significantly heavier than the :macx: , so after the first time raising it by hand, I purchased the mast raising system.

Taking some of the grandkids out is priceless.

Ray ~~_/)~~