Passing (dropping) of the torch

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Inquisitor
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Passing (dropping) of the torch

Post by Inquisitor » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:33 am

I've read a few articles online about the closing of MacGregor (CA) and the stillborn birth of Tattoo (FL). They mostly sounded like corporate double-speak to say how rosy things are and we're merely moving to greener pastures. I'm just wondering...
  • did the retirement home neighbor get them shut down?
  • did CA strict environmental policies finally make it impossible to build?
  • was demand dropping to make sustained production unfeasible?
  • were the children, just not cut out to run a business?
  • did FL's boating industry strong arm them out of business?

I guess its sad that there is no future resource for new sailors coming up in the same price and feature range. It was a one-of-a-kind boat.
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call

Russ
Admiral

Re: Passing (dropping) of the torch

Post by Russ » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:30 am

All good questions.

I do believe CA VOC regs reduced the amount of production of the M26 to 1 boat per day.
Demand seemed to be still going strong when Roger decided to retire.

Marlow-Hunter seems to be doing fine in Florida.

The Tattoo website has been stagnant for nearly 6 years. Last I heard the M26 molds were shot and they were going to build the T22.
They actually had a photo of a T22 hull that looked pretty cool. Then it went dark.
Kevin seems to have a line to Laura Sharp. Maybe he can offer more.

https://tattooyachts.com/first-photos-of-the-tattoo-22/
--Russ

Wayne nicol
Captain
Location: Queen CHarlotte Islands,B.C.---------------- lightning white 2012 26M "Merrylegs"

Post by Wayne nicol » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:19 pm

my thoughts are, i wonder if the public/consumer would be willing to pay a bit more for a boat with better design and finish.
Or is this class and style of boat, sliding into obscurity?
I saw the tatoos were 26000 USD, so thats trailer, main, some cushions.
what else?
i know when i bought my :macm: New, the heads'l, cushions, motor , rigging , porta pottie...... everything, was extra!
the sales price sure climbed in a hurry!

what about a boat, that sailed better, motored better, was still "moddable"-( that seems to be the real attraction!). Does anyone think there is still a market out there?
this is not a market/ business survey, rather just curious about opinion!

Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:41 pm

Wealth gap is widening. Wealthy people buy larger more expensive boats. Non wealthy don’t boat. Or buy legacy used. So many good used boats. Boating trends away from sailing anyway. Power boats in the size range, faster easier to launch. No rigging. Few people weekend in them, and who has time to actually cruise? Small Sail boats will be more popular outside the USA.

Ix
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.

Herschel
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Herschel » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:51 pm

I cannot speak to anything Tattoo, but to the general topic of the future of sailing I do have an opinion. I observe that the trend in many activities seems to be toward opportunities for quicker, faster gratification and briefer attention spans. The America's Cup is now raced with 50 m.p.h. hydrofoil catamarans. PWC enthusiasts seem entranced with jumping waves at 20+ m.p.h. TV commercials are often spliced together from 3-5 second images. News programs often only give you a snippet of a persons comments. When I drive 70 m.p.h. (the speed limit) on an Interstate, most cars just fly by in the passing lane. I am told by some of my single friends that dating is often problematic because of many folks wanting "things to develop" quickly or its on to the next "candidate". Those of us that still embrace the grace of a monohull sailboat slipping across the swells of a bay or lake while our white sails willingly conform to the flowing shape of an airfoil... with our hand gingerly on the wheel at the helm.... silently and automatically correcting for a slight weather helm...the admiral gracing the foredeck with her hair catching a summer breeze...well, we are the lucky ones. I do have to admit that I have been happily surprised that my three sons, as they have grown slowly into middle age, have undertaken boating, two with sailing in particular. One with Hobie sailing kayaks, one with aspirations for a 50-footer with which to sail the Caribbean in retirement, and the third a center console fishing rig for deep sea fishing and scuba. So, there is hope for continuity as our kids catch the bug in one form or another. There is hope. 8)

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:50 pm

Russ wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:30 am
Kevin seems to have a line to Laura Sharp. Maybe he can offer more.
Sorry, just seeing this.

I wish I could, Russ. I haven’t heard from Laura in a long time. I do have her direct contact info, as well as Roger’s phone and such too, but I’m loathe to ‘bug’ them about the future of Macs/Tattoos. Last time I corresponded with her I didn’t get the feeling the business was high on her list of important priorities.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:02 am

Herschel said:
I observe that the trend in many activities seems to be toward opportunities for quicker, faster gratification and briefer attention spans. The America's Cup is now raced with 50 m.p.h. hydrofoil catamarans.
I agree with the crux of your post, except for the above quote.

Whenever two sailboats meet on the water, it’s almost inevitable that the two captains try to see who’s boat is the fastest. The America’s Cup evolution into catamarans on steroids is natural. Wait until they come up with flying sailboats :o :D
Ray ~~_/)~~

Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:27 pm

NiceAft wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:02 am
Herschel said:
I observe that the trend in many activities seems to be toward opportunities for quicker, faster gratification and briefer attention spans. The America's Cup is now raced with 50 m.p.h. hydrofoil catamarans.
I agree with the crux of your post, except for the above quote.

Whenever two sailboats meet on the water, it’s almost inevitable that the two captains try to see who’s boat is the fastest. The America’s Cup evolution into catamarans on steroids is natural. Wait until they come up with flying sailboats :o :D
Oh, Ray. Touché'. You have sent this old retired shrink back to his text books collecting dust on the shelf...Freud would be proud of you for reminding us of young male competitive urges... :wink: