JIB OR GENOA?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

BlueSky Sailor
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

JIB OR GENOA?

Post by BlueSky Sailor » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:03 am

As the season ended I was noticing my Sunbrella covering on the Genoa starting to come apart at the stitches. Was weighing the value in getting it repaired or just flat out replaced?
My guess is the sail is original when the boat was new in 2005. Probably end of life anyways. I'm not experienced enough to know the actual condition of the sail.
I've read comments about pointing and how some sails are better than others. My experience so far leads me to believe with this current sail that sailing into the wind at anything closer than about 50-60 degrees isn't going to happen.
So my question is this. Does the boat point better with a Jib using the cabin top tracks? I'm currently using the cockpit tracks and going back foward to the winches.
I'm sailing on a narrow lake that doesn't give the best wind conditions. It's not steady like you might get on open ocean or big lakes. Gusting and coming from different directions. Nothing stays the same for very long.
Would I be better off with another new Genoa or a smaller Jib? So far I swing back and forth between too much sail and reefing the genoa because of gusty winds causing the boat to heal quickly and unpredictably.
I know if I'm going to have lots more fun its going to require I sail on a larger and more open lake.

Larry

rsvpasap
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: JIB OR GENOA?

Post by rsvpasap » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:19 am

I'm in Puget Sound. I have a jib and a genoa. With the jib and the cabin top cars all the way forward, I can close in to about 30 degrees off the wind. It requires attentive sailing, autopilot not recommended when cutting that close.

Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:18 pm

I switched to my jib about 15 years ago. I sail in Central Florida on a freshwater lake about 5 miles wide shaped in a rough circle. I found the Genoa was too much sail for gusts that came across the lake in summer squalls or even good breezes that would flare up a tad on a good day. I, also, didn't like how it restricted my vision on the leeward side of the boat. When I did want to lessen sail and do a partial reef with my roller furler, the luff seem to become a fairly large roll. When I did shift to my 110 jib, I found I could point higher, see better, not heel over so much in gusts, and otherwise enjoy my sail more. This may sound like sailing heresy, but I like to mostly relax when I go sailing. I am not in a particular hurry to get to the other side of the lake anyway, so my jib meets my needs better than the Genoa. Maybe since I sailed Hobies for 17 years and flew my quota of hulls (and buried my leeward hull a few too many times), I got my speed and excitement needs met. 8)

Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:50 am

Herschel wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:18 pm
... Maybe since I sailed Hobies for 17 years and flew my quota of hulls (and buried my leeward hull a few too many times), I got my speed and excitement needs met. 8)
I came from a Hobie background also... cracked a rib with that mast a couple of times. I attribute it to a flat learning curve (and hormones). :P

When I purchased my M back in 2007, I pretty much loaded up with every option. I am usually tone-deaf to salesmen. New cars, I always know more about the car than they do before I go in to buy. Anyway, this was definitely not the case with the Mac. Something in my guy's (Boat4Sail in Wisconsin - can't find him any more) manner led me to trust him. He didn't really sell me... it was like - Him, "Ever hear about running the lines to the cockpit?"... Me, "I want some of that!" :)

I was damn certain I wanted a furled Genoa... which I got. He tried to convince me that I would like the Jib better. Anyway he threw in a hanked-on Jib for nothing. I think he even threw in an extra forestay. (Note to self - Find that extra forestay). I'm sadden to say, between the furler - not having to go on the fore deck... the Jib has never been out of the bag.

I really need to remedy that!
Odysseus, expert on the Siren's call

wakataka

Post by wakataka » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:46 pm

I've got a jib and a genoa, both roller furling. I mostly sail solo and rarely use the genny. I find the boat to be very well balanced and with the jib. In a 5 to 10 knot breeze I can trim it to be pretty much self-steering when going to windward. I can go below and make a cup of tea and the boat just tracks the wind perfectly. That doesn't work so well when reaching or running. With the jib, I rarely need a winch handle on the sheet, which makes trimming much easier. The jib is also easier to tack.

I've got an asym spinnaker that I can throw up if the wind goes light and I'm in a hurry. It's not easy to manage the spinnaker single handed, however. I don't have the snuffer line run back to the cockpit.

If I had to chose just one sail, I'd go with a roller furling jib, then maybe consider adding a spinny for the light air days.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:23 pm

My thinking is it really depends on the wind conditions where you normally sail.

If you encounter really low wind conditions on a regular basis, a Genoa is better for you. If that is not your normal sailing condition, then a jib is your choice. I have a 150 Genoa because I used to do most of my sailing on the Delaware River. The wind was frequently low. That large Genoa was needed.

Since I don't race, I have never worried about pointing. Very much more concerned about efficient use of the wind. If you have the boat bucks to spend, go for both jib and Genoa, and use them according to wind conditions.

The thing to pay attention to with all of the responses, is what are the wind conditions each of those captains sail in. In good wind, a Genny will be furled, or you will be sailing at a heel of greater than 15 degrees. A lot of fun, but not for all folks. The Admiral and I enjoy Nice Aft heeling in excess of 40 degrees. Your not going fast, but it is exciting. Especially looking at the faces of power boaters thinking we're about to capsize. :D

There is one other reason for a Genoa. With the wind coming directly astern, a Genoa allows one to sail wing on wing in a way that a Jib just can't compare to. It is a thing of beauty to see. Not enough to be the choice to make, but it is pretty. :)
Ray ~~_/)~~

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:50 am

I have both, and an asymmetric spinnaker. The nice thing about the genoa is that if I’m feeling lazy, I can deploy it alone, no main, and sail pretty well. Not great, but remember - “lazy”.

The jib points much higher, doesn’t block my view on the lee side, doesn’t need a winch, and the sheets don’t foul the lifeline stanchions at the cockpit (a problem on the X).

I go back and forth between them, depending on how I feel at the time I load one of them onto the fuller. :P
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:59 am

I just looked up a new CDI for my Jib... OUCH. $700.
I wish I kept receipts... I don't recall it costing over $300 in 2007.

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:39 am

Mountain lake sailing comes with constantly changing winds.

For us, winds are either very light or too much.

I have both a jib and genny. I now fly the genny and just "reef" it when winds are too strong. I often go from full headsail to reefing to full sail again within an hour.
--Russ

DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:09 am

BlueSky Sailor wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:03 am
I'm currently using the cockpit tracks and going back foward to the winches.
So far I swing back and forth between too much sail and reefing the genoa because of gusty winds causing the boat to heal quickly and unpredictably.
Aside from your primary question, I have some suggestions you might try:

1. I only need winches when the wind gets up above 12 knots or more. Consider getting a pair of EZ Cleats, specially built for Macs. Best addition I've ever made to my boat.
They allow you to control the foresail without leaving the helm.

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... =9&t=24934
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... hp?t=10064

2. When the wind builds and I haven't reefed, my Mac tends to round-up in a gust. I've found this is actually to do with the main sail, not the foresail. So, I keep a hand on the main sheet. As the gust comes, I ease the main sheet - a lot. This prevents rounding up. When the gust passes, I just harden the main up. Sometimes, the wind will build and stay high. I ease the main until it luffs, and just leave it there. I sail on foresail alone.
MacX 2000 Honda BF50A 'SeaSaw'

rsvpasap
Chief Steward

Post by rsvpasap » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:44 am

When I learned about ez cleats, boats4sail.com no longer functioned and there was no response to emails/PM. One would expect they sold all that inventory long ago. Fortunately, Blue Water Yachts sells the same item. SAIL TRACK CAR W/ CAM CLEAT http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/4306-1v0.htm

BlueSky Sailor
Just Enlisted

Post by BlueSky Sailor » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:17 pm

Interestingly enough, I bought a set of the cam car cleats in early spring and never ended up installing them. Maybe I need to dig into my bag of goodies and drag them out. My concern with them was putting all the load of the Genoa on those units. Maybe I worry too much?
In any case, I feel a new sail in my future. Leaning hard towards a jib. The genoa just seems such a handful when sailing by myself.
Seems thoughts about jibs and genoas is about even split. No doubt the jib makes handling the boat less of a chore.
Appreciate the input.

Larry

Inquisitor
Captain

Post by Inquisitor » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:30 pm

BlueSky Sailor wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:17 pm
... My concern with them was putting all the load of the Genoa on those units.
I have four on my rails for Genoa AND Spinnaker... and I run'm hard and at the same time... although on opposite sides in broad reaches / runs. Spinnaker leeward and Genoa poled out windward. Never heard a single complaint from them, rail or fiberglass.

Got mine boat and accessories at Boat4Sail also. To bad he's gone out of business.

mlin2001

Post by mlin2001 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:42 pm

I'm also looking to replace my jib and can use some suggestions.
Anyone using one of the jibs below? Are they working well?

Without UV it's $450:
http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/7204-1v0.htm
From the description: this sail does not have a UV cover, you must either take it down when not in use or use a pull up "sock" type cover (part #2301-1V0) to protect it.

With UV it's $550:
http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/7206-1v0.htm
It says for maximum sail life a sock type cover is recommended over any sail even if it has a built in UV cover.

I'm in CA so it's sunny most of the time. It looks if I should get the sock type cover either way I might as well just go with the $450 no UV jib. Suggestions?
Thanks!

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:05 am

BlueSky Sailor wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:17 pm
Interestingly enough, I bought a set of the cam car cleats in early spring and never ended up installing them. Maybe I need to dig into my bag of goodies and drag them out. My concern with them was putting all the load of the Genoa on those units. Maybe I worry too much?
In any case, I feel a new sail in my future. Leaning hard towards a jib. The genoa just seems such a handful when sailing by myself.
Seems thoughts about jibs and genoas is about even split. No doubt the jib makes handling the boat less of a chore.
Appreciate the input.

Larry
Yes your worry too much.
For ten years I only used the ez cleats. I never use the normal setting with the winch. Never had problems so far.