New 26X owner with some questions

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
charleshagen
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

New 26X owner with some questions

Post by charleshagen »

I am about to get my 26X. I am putting a new Yamaha 50 high thrust on her. What is the best propeller pitch/type for her.

The plan is to do Great Lakes in Summer and Atlantic/Florida/Bahamas in winter. I am gearing towards live aboard.

I could use information on current mast lighting. I do not think I have an anchor light but need one.

First, engine is on order but I need to know best prop.

Thanks,

Charles
SV Wind Catcher
Be Free
Admiral

Re: New 26X owner with some questions

Post by Be Free »

I don't have any specific knowledge of that engine on a Mac but in general the hull shape of our boats under power acts more like a pontoon boat than anything else. Finding the right prop is as much art as science. Science will give you a good starting point but you may have to try a few similar props to find the one that works best on your boat.

There is usually a trade off between displacement speed economy and top speed when choosing a prop. For me, I prefer to have a prop that gives me the best range at or near hull speed rather than one that gives me a few knots more top speed. The other trade off is in the "hole shot" or how quickly the boat will accelerate. This will also affect how well you can pull a skier or tube. For some that is an important point, others not so much. The right prop is going to be a trade off between acceleration, economy, and top speed. Decide which one you want to maximize and choose your prop accordingly.

The factory mast lighting was just a steaming light (also known as a masthead light). The masthead is the front of the mast, not the top. There was no anchor light. Most people put an all around white light on the top of the mast. There are many discussions on this board on how to rig an anchor light. The short version is: battery operated (not recommended), run a new wire to the base of the mast and reuse the steaming light circuit (anchor and steaming are never used together so this is practical), run new circuit (through the cabin ceiling) with new or larger connector to allow both lights to work from the fuse panel independently, use LED for the masthead and anchor light with a double throw center off switch to change polarity and share most of the wiring.

Welcome to the board and good luck with your upgrades.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Give me a yell if/when you hit Lake Michigan. I'm good for at least one meal plus free labor. 8)
charleshagen wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:33 pm I am about to get my 26X. I am putting a new Yamaha 50 high thrust on her. What is the best propeller pitch/type for her.

The plan is to do Great Lakes in Summer and Atlantic/Florida/Bahamas in winter. I am gearing towards live aboard.

I could use information on current mast lighting. I do not think I have an anchor light but need one.

Thanks,

Charles
SV Wind Catcher
Cougar
Engineer

Post by Cougar »

No better choice than a Yamaha High Thrust, since top speed isn't important for a Mac. I suggest you use the factory standard prop.
Democritus
Chief Steward

Post by Democritus »

Be Free wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:20 am There are many discussions on this board on how to rig an anchor light. The short version is: battery operated (not recommended), run a new wire to the base of the mast and reuse the steaming light circuit (anchor and steaming are never used together so this is practical), run new circuit (through the cabin ceiling) with new or larger connector to allow both lights to work from the fuse panel independently, use LED for the masthead and anchor light with a double throw center off switch to change polarity and share most of the wiring.
One other option that I chose is to just use the same plug and circuit for either light. This requires you to go on deck to plug in the appropriate light. The plugs (and everything else for your mac) are sold at Blue Water Yachts. https://shop.bwyachts.com/category-s/106.htm
Vince
"Spiraling Shape" 2002 26X
Tohatsu MFS50A
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Democritus wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:32 am One other option that I chose is to just use the same plug and circuit for either light. This requires you to go on deck to plug in the appropriate light. The plugs (and everything else for your mac) are sold at Blue Water Yachts. https://shop.bwyachts.com/category-s/106.htm
That's actually the way mine was rigged when I got it. I just got tired of going up there and switching the connectors so I swapped it out with a 4 connector plug when the deck mounted side of it died.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Democritus
Chief Steward

Post by Democritus »

Be Free wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:24 am That's actually the way mine was rigged when I got it. I just got tired of going up there and switching the connectors so I swapped it out with a 4 connector plug when the deck mounted side of it died.
I am rarely under way at night so I just leave the anchor light plugged in 99% of the time. If I motored at night regularly I'd do the 4 prong plug as well.
Vince
"Spiraling Shape" 2002 26X
Tohatsu MFS50A
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

You can keep the existing wiring and use the method described in this mod. Also, if you use LEDs for the lights, you may not need to add the diodes:

https://macgregorsailors.com/mods/index ... tem&id=453
~Rich---Hamin' X---N7ZH~
charleshagen
Deckhand

Post by charleshagen »

For some reason I never got notifications on my posts or replies?

ANYWAY

I will be on North end of Lake Michigan by end of May.

Sincerely,

Charles
dlandersson wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:01 am Give me a yell if/when you hit Lake Michigan. I'm good for at least one meal plus free labor. 8)
charleshagen wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:33 pm I am about to get my 26X. I am putting a new Yamaha 50 high thrust on her. What is the best propeller pitch/type for her.

Thanks,

Charles
SV Wind Catcher
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Don't forget Michigan City, IN - and let me know when you'll be there. 8)
charleshagen wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:33 pm The plan is to do Great Lakes in Summer and Atlantic/Florida/Bahamas in winter. I am gearing towards live aboard.
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

What is the trip report since 2021 ? Have you lived aboard ?
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie