For 26X owners with a CDI furler. How long is your furler (exactly, not "about") length?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

For 26X owners with a CDI furler. How long is your furler (exactly, not "about") length?

Post by dlandersson » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:36 am

Mine broke and the replacement roll is simply - a roll. So I need to know how long to cut it. ;)

pitchpolehobie
Engineer

Re: For 26X owners with a CDI furler. How long is your furler (exactly, not "about") length?

Post by pitchpolehobie » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:10 am

I would call and ask BWyachts if someone can't give you an exact answer here.

dlandersson
Admiral

Re: For 26X owners with a CDI furler. How long is your furler (exactly, not "about") length?

Post by dlandersson » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:30 am

Per the F2 manual, the RF should be 12 1/4 inches shorter than the forestay (pg 5)
dlandersson wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:36 am

Mine broke and the replacement roll is simply - a roll. So I need to know how long to cut it. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wakataka
Deckhand

Post by wakataka » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:49 pm

I measured my old forestay at 26' 7" total length to the end of the threaded stud that connects to the turnbuckle. This doesn't include the turnbuckle, just the cable and the attached stud. The spec in the CDI manual is for the overall length including the turnbuckle.

Hope this helps.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:20 pm

Thx 8)
wakataka wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:49 pm
I measured my old forestay at 26' 7" total length to the end of the threaded stud that connects to the turnbuckle. This doesn't include the turnbuckle, just the cable and the attached stud. The spec in the CDI manual is for the overall length including the turnbuckle.

Hope this helps.

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:44 am

Do you want the forestay or furler line measurement? I think the latter.

You will need to do this one “ custom” for your boat if you have the Genoa. It’s a very close fit to get a few wraps left on the furler line and not overfill the cup on a FF2. One solution is to Decore five wraps to make lots of space.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:04 am

dlandersson wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:36 am

Catigale wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:44 am
Do you want the forestay or furler line measurement? I think the latter.

You will need to do this one “ custom” for your boat if you have the Genoa. It’s a very close fit to get a few wraps left on the furler line and not overfill the cup on a FF2. One solution is to Decore five wraps to make lots of space.
If it's the furler line that's in question, I would furl the genoa, plus at least a few extra turns to wind up some jib sheet around the sails, then terminate the end of the furler line on the drum. Unfurl the sail all the way while the drum winds up the line. Once it's fully unfurled, run the line back to the cockpit if it didn't start there already, add some extra line so you can hold it while at the wheel and maybe some extra beyond that just in case (can always cut it later), and cut/melt/stopper knot it. Pull it all out to wind the sail back on. Done.

The above assumes you can terminate the line on the drum without taking it apart. I don't have the boat here, so I can't just go out and look. :wink:
Tom
Be seeing you . . .

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:36 am

OP: Are you asking about the length of the luff extrusion?

The "few extra turns" Tom mentions for the furling line are of vital importance. Furling your headsail in the yard will result in a loose roll. When you furl it in a blow, the sail will roll tighter, requiring more wraps to get it completely furled. You don't want to find that out n a blow.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River

OverEasy
Captain

Post by OverEasy » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:44 pm

Off topic….

Anyone want to get rid of a functional CDI Furler/Luff and Genoa/Jib?
We need one.

8) 8) 🐩

Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:29 pm

OverEasy wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:44 pm
Off topic….

Anyone want to get rid of a functional CDI Furler/Luff and Genoa/Jib?
We need one.

I might be able to partially help you out, if you haven't solved this yet.

I was putting my furled jib away yesterday. I store it inside the boat, loaded through the forward hatch, furler drum first, and curled slightly into the aft berth. Well, I needed just another inch or so to get the top part of the furler luff in through the hatch, so I bent it a bit with my hands and....SNAP. WTF. I mean, yes, I've been working out, but with my bare hands??? And just a very shallow bend radius, nothing crazy at all. So after a fair amont of cursing, I sucked it up and spent a boat-buck at BWYachts and ordered a whole new one, with a new drum and upgraded bearing.

So, either in a few weeks or in the spring, I'll have the old furler drum to give away to a good home. You'd have to adjust the forestay length and add the internal turnbuckle, and find a new furler luff or come up with a genius way to repair it. The luff itself is less than half the cost of a new forestay, so if you wanted to build a frankenfurler based on my 20 year old original furler drum, you're welcome to it, and you could have a working system for much less than a new system would cost.

OverEasy
Captain

Post by OverEasy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:05 pm

Hi StarScream!

YES! 8) 8)
Very Interested!! :) :)

I’ll PM you!

Thanks for thinking of us!

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈