26X bimini/enclosure ?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
svscott
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

26X bimini/enclosure ?

Post by svscott »

I just came across a bimini and enclosure that someone is selling. Before I drive 2 hours away to get these, can anyone confirm that they're for the 26X based off of the pics below? What would you say is a fair value?

Also, I'm not sure the enclosure will fit with my stern arch?

He's also got some stainless steel railing bits and pieces he will throw in. The guy bought, refurbished, and flipped the boat for 3x what he paid and has this stuff to get rid of.

1987 26D - Three Hour Tour; 1998 26X - to be named
pitchpolehobie
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: 26X bimini/enclosure ?

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Looks like a 26X to me. Sounds like a good deal! I'd like to get an enclosure for mine too.
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
svscott
First Officer

Post by svscott »

I will pick it up in the next couple days and hopefully it fits and has all the components. I suspect I'll need to install new snaps onto the deck, but that's easy enough.
If it doesn't work due to my sweet stern arch being in the way, the enclosure will be posted here and up for grabs.
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Def lemme know I could drive up and pick it up
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Link? :)
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

svscott said:
If it doesn't work due to my sweet stern arch being in the way, the enclosure will be posted here and up for grabs.
Don't post it here, post it in the "classifieds" section. That's what it's there for. It's FREE.

From another friendly moderator.
Ray ~~_/)~~
svscott
First Officer

Post by svscott »

NiceAft wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:24 am svscott said:
Don't post it here, post it in the "classifieds" section. That's what it's there for. It's FREE.

From another friendly moderator.
Fair enough, though I'm very hopeful it will work on my boat and not get listed for resale!
dlandersson wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:09 am Link? :)
There's nothing to link yet... I'm going to pick up the stuff tomorrow but it may be awhile before I can test fit everything to my boat. I honestly don't even know for sure that everything for the enclosure is there, but I'm willing to take the gamble. I asked for better pics but he's busy with other stuff and after this week, I'm busy with other stuff next week and for several weeks after so I'm going to fly blind and cross my fingers that I don't waste $75 in gas and 4 hours of driving.

Is there anyone with pics of their enclosure that can show some detail pics of how everything goes together and attaches to the X?

At a minimum, I'll update this thread when there's a worthwhile update...
Stay tuned
svscott
First Officer

Post by svscott »

I picked up the lot of stuff a few days ago and am very satisfied with my purchase but it's not all that I was hoping it to be.
I got a like new bimini that in itself made the $100 purchase plus 200 mile round trip drive and gas worth the trip. Also included was the rear portion of a full enclosure and a piece that may be part of a dodger. They are mismatched and don't have the zipout windows. I also got a box of stainless steel pipes and fittings plus a bag of clamps and a couple cockpit lifelines that have pelican hooks on them, which should be a nice improvement over the shoddy attachments that came on my boat.
Last week, I also picked up a big bimini for free on Facebook marketplace less than a mile from home. It's like the type you'd put on a pontoon boat.
I haven't decided what I'm doing with most of this stuff yet but I'm super excited to finally get a bimini installed on 3 Hour Tour, my 26D. I'll dry fit the stern enclosure on the X and see what it's like but I suspect I'll just roll with the standard bimini and maybe try to sell the rest of the stuff, if I can find a buyer.
Maybe with some of the extra canvas, I can come up with a decent pop top cover for the D.

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

The pictures look to me like parts to the Dowsar bimini/dodger surround. Unlike the BWY design, Dowsar has a taller bimini which enables you to stand upright while at the wheel. Also, the color and presence of zippered window are consistent with Dowsar. I don't believe Dowsar is still being made, but while it was in production it sold for close to $1000 more than the BWY setup. I think BWY sells theirs for close to $3000 now. If you got usable components for $100 you got an incredible deal. If you don't have the equipment and/or skills to fabricate your own additional components, you could probably get a local canvas shop to make them and still be ahead on cost.
svscott
First Officer

Post by svscott »

Chinook wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:10 am The pictures look to me like parts to the Dowsar bimini/dodger surround. Unlike the BWY design, Dowsar has a taller bimini which enables you to stand upright while at the wheel. Also, the color and presence of zippered window are consistent with Dowsar. I don't believe Dowsar is still being made, but while it was in production it sold for close to $1000 more than the BWY setup. I think BWY sells theirs for close to $3000 now. If you got usable components for $100 you got an incredible deal. If you don't have the equipment and/or skills to fabricate your own additional components, you could probably get a local canvas shop to make them and still be ahead on cost.
Great info, thanks! I knew I was getting a great deal and I told the seller that I would be willing to make the drive for just the standard bimini at the $100 asking price (the bimini is not pictured but matches my existing bimini on the X) and the rest is all a bonus. All in, for the stainless fittings, the tall tan bimini, plus the dodger and a like new grayish bimini, it cost $100 plus 4 hours driving and maybe $50 in fuel.
I'm a sucker for a great deal and I keep on stumbling across unbeatable deals surrounding this boat and I LOVE IT!
Is it worth trying the Dowsar bimini without the remainder of the kit? I'll dry fit it this week to see if it clears my stern arch.