Tips for faster setup of the 26?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
LordElsinore
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Tips for faster setup of the 26?

Post by LordElsinore »

Hi all. For me, the one disadvantage of trailering around my :macm: is the time it takes to set up the mast, rigging, etc once I get to where I want to go, and of course, tearing it all back down and packing it up again to trailer back out.

I usually sail alone, so that's probably a big reason why it seems to take so long. I'm sure it would go a bit faster with a 'crew' that had their own individual assignments and were practiced at doing it.

I'm interested in any tips you have found that help the process go faster.

I used to fully remove the stays, coil them up, and tuck them away inside all nice and pretty. These days I just leave them attached to the mast and and chain plates and bungee them to the mast when I tow somewhere. It seems to go faster this way, since attaching stays to chain plates tends to take a good amount of time for me, but then again dealing with all the bungees and potential tangles takes a while as well, so maybe I'm not really saving the time I think I am.

I've also started leaving the mast raiser attached after lowering the mast, and towing with it connected as shown in this picture.

Once the mast is raised, I do usually disconnect it and hang it on the port side forward life lines on some clasps tied to the tops of the stanchions. Both of these steps do save me some time compared to taking the mast raiser down below and storing it under the port benches like I used to.

Any tips you guys use for setting up and packing up more quickly so that you have more time on the water and less time monkeying around in the parking lot?
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Tips for faster setup of the 26?

Post by Tomfoolery »

That's essentially what I do, but I also remove the spreaders, leaving them attached to the shrouds, and I fold back the bimini hoops and bungie the canvas with several short cords. If it's a long trip, I remove the canvas. Same with the dodger.

Everything else stays attached and bungied to the mast or whatever for quick reassembly except for the backstay, which you don't have. MRS stays in place, but lays flatter than yours due to the shape of the deck of an X. Fenders I usually just flop over the lifelines onto the cockpit seats. Mast gets tied to the cockpit coaming through the genoa blocks and forward to the winches to stop the mast from wobbling side to side, which is just unnecessary wear and tear, using a bow dock line, and the other bow dock line (from my slip) wraps around the two rudders and is cleated, as a backup. Also makes both lines ready to go for launch, as they're never put away.

The mid-mast support is just two pieces of 2x4 with 45 deg. cuts facing each other to make a vee, glued and screwed, with a screw eye in each side and a single bungie to hold it to the mast. It sits on the tabernacle and doesn't move, but takes seconds to remove by unclipping the bungie at one end. It keeps the mast from bouncing, obviously, but I can't tell if you're using one or not.

I'm usually doing this alone, and I'm not getting any younger, so anything that can speed up the process while roasting and/or sweating like a toilet tank in August is a good thing. :wink:
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

I leave all the stays attached, bungee everything a, and leave the MRS hooked up but lying flat. I do not remove the spreaders, but I do make sure to slide them under the life lines.

I don't leave the boom attached to the mast, but I understand some people do. I find that with copious use of bungee cors it take me 45 minutes - some of which is thinking things thru - I only do this twice a year. 8)

LordElsinore wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:14 am These days I just leave them attached to the mast and and chain plates and bungee them to the mast when I tow somewhere.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

To hit my 30-minute launch challenge:

1) Sidestays, backstay, and spreaders stay fully attached. The lifelines have quick-disconnect pelican hooks so that the spreaders aren't resting on them during transport.
2) No nuts and bolts. All of the 9/16 bolts and nuts have been replaced with these: https://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/3443-1v0.htm
3) All 7/16 bolts (rudders, spreaders, boom attachment) have been replaced with trailer coupler pins like these: https://www.amazon.ca/Safety-Coupler-Ma ... 808&sr=8-5
4) Loose footed main (huge time savings in setup) with sail slugs, of course.
5) Added a second forestay above the roller furler, with a turnbuckle and a snap-shackle. Very easy to snap it on, tighten the turnbuckle to pin the furler pin, then back it off again. Plus, the added safety is nice.
6) Snap shackles to attach mainsheet and boom vang.
7) Snap-hook on the boom to attach the mainsail tack-ring with a click.
8 ) Mainsail outhaul run through a quick-release cleat
9) Topping lift with two snap-hooks: one to keep the lift attached while sailing with no tension, the other a bit higher up to hold the boom above the dodger when the sail is down.

The biggest single time saver is to invest a few seconds to check the standing rigging attachment points for snags, and place the stays in the right place vis a vis the stantions and other snag points. You'll start to know what they are after a few trys. The backstay snags the motor with startling accuracy, the sidestays snag the trailer posts and the stantions. The worst time waster is getting the mast up with a snag at height, the second worst is a snag that is out of reach during the lifting process (no MRS here, yet).
Last edited by Starscream on Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

First I think a second person does not makes it much faster, but maybe more comfortable...

If you prepare well u could save time:

Plan exactly what you will do: that means avoid going down often. Avoid going front a back too often.

If you plan well, you could save some minutes.

But as I do it just twice a year... A never managed to get 100% high leveled...

Recently I started to take away the mainsail, it gets easier, but also takes more time. Maybe best could be too take away the boom including the main, I never did...

Maybe just calculate with 1 hour... Go relaxed... And if you are ready earlier the better.
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

I have tried to avoid setting any kind of time limit on set-up and take-down as I find hurrying myself in any endeavor leads to errors. In the case of rigging, de-rigging, and trailering errors can be potentially catastrophic,

That being said, I am very much into doing things efficiently, so this thread interests me.

I will share a mod I did for my 26S that does away with the block-and-tackle for raising the mast and substitutes the trailer's winch. https://macgregorsailors.com/mods/index ... em&id=2149

You may be adept enough at using the block-and-tackle that this would not save you much time, but I find I am much more comfortable with my system as it keeps me at the front of the boat (out from under the mast), and on solid ground. If I have to go clear a snag, I am confident the mast is supported securely. I leave the gin pole and short stabilizing stays in place for trailering, but remove them for sailing.

Keeping the stays attached is definitely a time-saver. I use the wire ties from our used coffee bags to secure them to the lifelines and what-have-you. Plentiful and disposable. I recommend keeping extras in your toolbox, as they are handy for all kinds of things.

As for the mainsail and boom, my approach is to remove the boom with sail and mainsheet attached and stow it in the boat with the sail cover in place. This keeps them out of the way when raising or lowering the mast, and safe inside the boat. I use a stainless steel removable chain link to attach the mainsheet cleat block to the traveler.

I have put marks on my trailer outrigger poles to help me get to the proper depth for launching and trailering.

Having a "system" is probably the greatest time saver. I am still working on that.

I have a question - I strap the boat to the trailer with a heavy-duty ratcheting strap. Is this overkill? I don't do this if I am just going from the marina to my house (5 minutes away), but I do for long trips. Do others do this?
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
LordElsinore
Chief Steward

Post by LordElsinore »

Starscream wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:11 am Added a second forestay above the roller furler, with a turnbuckle and a snap-shackle. Very easy to snap it on, tighten the turnbuckle to pin the furler pin, then back it off again. Plus, the added safety is nice.
I'd love to hear more about that second forestay. Do you have any pictures? One of the trickiest parts for me with the mast raising is getting the stupid forestay pin in, so anything that can help with that is welcome for sure.

I find that the mast wobbles back and forth a lot while raising and lowering, even with the baby stays attached, and it makes me laugh when I see the "so easy a child can do it" portion of the MacGregor video. It's not "hard", but I do find that I have to guide the mast raising system pole to one side or the other to counteract what the mast wants to do on the way up, otherwise it swings far out and bends the base of the MRS.
LordElsinore
Chief Steward

Post by LordElsinore »

Stickinthemud57 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:31 am I strap the boat to the trailer with a heavy-duty ratcheting strap. Is this overkill? I don't do this if I am just going from the marina to my house (5 minutes away), but I do for long trips. Do others do this?
I use ratchet straps from the rear cleats to anchor points on my trailer for sure. I wouldn't trust the boat not to bounce off or slide forward or back without them. My first trip home after buying the boat, I found that the entire front of my (non-factory) trailer that extends up/holds the winch/keeps the boat from moving forward had loosened up and could very easily have fallen completely off! So glad that didn't happen.

I also typically put a long rachet strap through the front bow cleats and down to front anchor points on my trailer as well to help hold that down at least on long trips
LordElsinore
Chief Steward

Post by LordElsinore »

Starscream wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:11 am Sidestays, backstay, and spreaders stay fully attached. The lifelines have quick-disconnect pelican hooks so that the spreaders aren't resting on them during transport.
That's a good tip. I forget sometimes that the front life lines are easily removable, and I have never thought of opening them so that the spreaders can remain attached. I'll have to try that. Also, opening the lifelines up during setup and take down makes sense - probably a lot less to snag on if they are unhooked and dropped down out of the way.

I suppose if I really want to get more efficient at this the key would be to practice, even out in the driveway. My wife will think I'm even nuttier/more boat-obsessed than she already does if I spend a few hours raising and lowering things over and over again in the driveway, but it would interesting to objectively time how long it takes, try to repeat the process consistently each time, and to try and improve
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

LordElsinore wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:50 am I find that the mast wobbles back and forth a lot while raising and lowering, even with the baby stays attached, and it makes me laugh when I see the "so easy a child can do it" portion of the MacGregor video. It's not "hard", but I do find that I have to guide the mast raising system pole to one side or the other to counteract what the mast wants to do on the way up, otherwise it swings far out and bends the base of the MRS.
You are not alone. Many of us have tried to improve this. Here is our discussion of my MRS improvement journey... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27532
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
LordElsinore
Chief Steward

Post by LordElsinore »

Jimmyt wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:31 pm You are not alone. Many of us have tried to improve this. Here is our discussion of my MRS improvement journey... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27532
Ooo thank you. I'll read through that. Looking forward to see what was done
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

I solved the forestay pin problem for me:

I made a very long forestay pin, ca 5 inch long and sharpened it. So I can pin it very easily, like if you use a long screw driver...

Bevore I sometimes used the downhaul and connected it at the Genoa an front cleat.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

LordElsinore wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:50 am
I'd love to hear more about that second forestay. Do you have any pictures? One of the trickiest parts for me with the mast raising is getting the stupid forestay pin in, so anything that can help with that is welcome for sure.
Just so you know, there is a turnbuckle INSIDE the CDI furler that can be adjusted to make the pinning as easy as you want it to be, depending on how tight you want the forestay.

The second forestay is a pretty simple add. A second mast hound added about 18" above the first using aluminum rivets. A 3/8" line to a snap-shackle, a turnbuckle, and a second snap shackle, which is snapped on to the mast-carrying bolt on the bow pulpit.

When raising the mast, just unwind the turnbuckle before lifting, and it snaps right on to the bolt and holds the mast up. Then wind down the turnbuckle to bend the mast forward enough to easily clip the pin in place, and then unwind again. It IS important to make sure the turnbuckle can't spin on its own, because it will, and if you let it it will unattach itself at the worst possible time.

Another use of the additional forestay is when I raise the mast myself (without the MRS). I attach a second line to it at the snap-shackle, and loop the lengthened forestay around the mast-carrying bolt on the pulpit and then back to the mast. I tie it to a stantion with one-hand-release knot. That way, when the mast is up and I'm standing behind it, holding it up, I can use one hand to undo the knot and pull the line tight, and then walk forward holding the line so that the mast doesn't fall. I usually let the furler scrape around on the deck loose, during this process. It IS a little sketchy though, and I'm planning to install the MRS that I bought with the boat sometime in the near future.

The anchor is in the way in this photo, but I think it shows the setup.
Last edited by Starscream on Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Starscream wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:11 am To hit my 30-minute launch challenge:

1) Sidestays, backstay, and spreaders stay fully attached. The lifelines have quick-disconnect pelican hooks so that the spreaders aren't resting on them during transport.
Stay adjusters also work in place of the pelican hook. I drop the forward lifelines and then move them above the spreaders after the mast in stowed.
Starscream wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:11 am The biggest single time saver is to invest a few seconds to check the standing rigging attachment points for snags, and place the stays in the right place vis a vis the stantions and other snag points. You'll start to know what they are after a few trys. The backstay snags the motor with startling accuracy, the sidestays snag the trailer posts and the stantions. The worst time waster is getting the mast up with a snag at height, the second worst is a snag that is out of reach during the lifting process (no MRS here, yet).
+1 on the snags. It's like the outboard has a "backstay magnet" on it. A little attention to the sidestays before raising the mast will usually keep them clear of the stanchions.

I use the "X" MRS but I run the running end of the rig through a rope clutch that I keep locked down. That way I can stop the process at any point to clear a snag. It's my understanding that the "M" MRS has a built in clutch so this would not be necessary.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

kurz wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:43 am First I think a second person does not makes it much faster, but maybe more comfortable...

If you prepare well u could save time:

Plan exactly what you will do: that means avoid going down often. Avoid going front a back too often.

If you plan well, you could save some minutes.

But as I do it just twice a year... A never managed to get 100% high leveled...

Recently I started to take away the mainsail, it gets easier, but also takes more time. Maybe best could be too take away the boom including the main, I never did...

Maybe just calculate with 1 hour... Go relaxed... And if you are ready earlier the better.
I've found the main advantage to a second person is fewer trips from the cabin to the cabin top. After many years of skateboarding (before pads and helmets were in use) my knees appreciate any help they can get. It does not always go faster with a helper; sometimes it even takes a little longer, but it is easier on the joints.

I aim for about an hour setup in either direction and don't worry about it if it takes longer. If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat. :)
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me