WOT test results 26M -propped correctly?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, beene, NiceAft, Catigale, Hamin' X

Be Free
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: WOT test results 26M -propped correctly?

Post by Be Free » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:49 am

It's a world of difference between salt and fresh water. I've gone ten years or more without removing the prop on a "fresh water" engine and it came off like it was new.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D

Be Free
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Be Free » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:56 am

It's true that a partially spun hub can get you home at low speed but I don't think it could get the boat to 17 mph and 5600 RPM. I'm still voting for ventilation. It would not hurt to check for a partially spun hub next time it's in the water though.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D

JeffJuneau
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by JeffJuneau » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:44 pm

As usual, all your information has been very helpful. Thanks! I just had the prop on my DF70A off a month ago. Fortunately, it came off very easily, and was properly lubed. Shaft is in perfect condition. This Solex is a sort of cheapy department store aluminum prop. It has a molded in rubber/plastic hub dampener, and I’m told it is very apparent when one of these are spun, because they really disintegrate. It was fine. I also had the prop inspected. I have my Mac is on the trailer for winter here so it is easy to measure the orientation of the cavitation plate on this DF70A to the bottom of hull. The cavitation plate lines up just between ¼ and ½ inch below a line extended from the bottom of the rounded “V” of the hull. From what I can determine, this is just about perfect for that engine. Also, as far as I can determine, BWY fully rigged this Suzuki outboard, and they seem to be fairly meticulous about setting up Macs properly that come out of their dealership. The local Suzuki dealership here in Juneau looked up the props for this engine, and didn’t even find a Suzuki branded 4-blade prop that is listed to fit it. Does that mean that I might damage the engine if I try a 13.8” dia by 11 pitch, 4-blade? TomF suggested I check to see if my current prop is sucking air from above when underway. That will have to wait till next spring. If am going to do it, I would need to install another prop, before I put it in back in the water. I have operated my Mac, in really nasty 3 ft short period standing waves, and know what the engine sounds like when the prop partially comes out of the water. It revs up and is quite a bit louder than what I experienced. It sounds like from all the helpful input here, I am not wildly mis-propped. So far, I haven’t heard any reasons here why I shouldn’t try that 4-blade mercury prop. Right? Yes, they would supply it with the correct adapter to fit my Suzuki. Also, my previous outboard experience was with a 2014 e-tec 60hp, that was on a light 17ft aluminum runabout. When I pegged the throttle, that boat practically jumped out of the water onto a plane. The 60 e-Tec has a lot of torque. I am capable of getting used to the fact that I am now pushing a much heavier bathtub that requires a gentler hand on the throttle, if the consensus is that there is nothing wrong with my basic prop specifications. Thanks for all the information! Jeff