Macs and Imexus side by side

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Macs and Imexus side by side

Post by BOAT »

I don't act like a bigger fart than you, I AM a bigger fart than you. (My problem is trying to act like I'm NOT a bigger fart - it's hard).
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

I thought the fog was getting pretty thick around here & then my Fume Alert Alarm just went OFF , so is that Gas I smell !!! :D :D :D :P

J 8)
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Ha! :P Yeah, look at me diss' in the 100 thousand dollar boat - 8) that's rich

Okay - it's a nice boat - grumble grumble
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

Yes, but a Seaward 32RK is nicer - and costs about the same. :D
BOAT wrote:Ha! :P Yeah, look at me diss' in the 100 thousand dollar boat - 8) that's rich

Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz »

What am I missing..? I read its $85K + for the Imexus and I thought it was over over $100K for the Seaward 32.. and about $25K for the Mac..The SEaward I really like and have been on a couple.. I am not impressed with the Imexus and surely not for $85K But $85 K Puts it wayyyyyyyyyyyyy out of my range anyway..My brother has found some really nice Blue Water turnkey 35-40 footers for under $50K.. He also has found several for under $20K that he could re-fit to his desires and still be under the $50K mark .. BUT... he doesnt need for it to trailer and he is always coaxing me to sell the :macm: take the money and get a blue water boat ..We too like our :macm: TOO MUCH to just the way it is to make that jump..
dlandersson wrote:Yes, but a Seaward 32RK is nicer - and costs about the same. :D
BOAT wrote:Ha! :P Yeah, look at me diss' in the 100 thousand dollar boat - 8) that's rich

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Oh yeah, diver is right - I think most of us got mac's BECAUSE we were tired of the slip fees and bottom cleanings and repairs blah blah blah - really, even if I had 100 grand to blow on a boat - why would I get the one that I can't park on the side of my house??? Do I WANT to drive down to the marina every time I want to do some work on my boat?? Do I WANT to have a boat that is really getting hard to sail by myself?? Do I really have the time to spend 7 hours getting to Catalina???

It would be great to have the fancy berths and big head and showers and all the other great stuff the big boats have -

If your really REALLY rich I think the best setup is like what Roger Macgregor has: His house is right there in Newport Harbor and his front yard walks down to a big dock. From his four stories of windows he is looking right down at his 65 foot boat on one side of his dock and his 26M on the other side. And Roger can sail EITHER boat BY HIMSELF all the way to Catalina!! (Even a lot further on the 65 footer). Now, THAT is the way to do it. That is what I wanted, but I don't have enough money to do that so I went to the next best thing:

Looking down at my 26 foot boat in my side yard. (Life is good! I wonder what the poor people are doing today!! :wink: :) :) )

Roger brought the dream to the common guy.
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Seaward 26RK. Had it quoted and had even gotten a deal where I would wait for the L.A. Boat show, then buy the show boat from them, thus saving me the transport fees and saving them shipping back. Great people to work with in the sales process by the way.

I was quoted $54K for the base boat, $65 optioned the way I wanted. Shipping to SoCal from FL was $6000 additional. It was a pretty good deal on an excellent boat I thought, but I was very nervous about buying sight-un-sailed. What I really liked about that boat was the big open transom, the tiller steering, larger cockpit, and "real" keel. In fact I still quite like the boat and often wonder if I made the right choice, given that I didn't care at all about the "power" aspect of the MacGregor. I also did not like the bandit stripes at all. It seemed like a wanna-be cabin cruiser rather than a sailboat style to me.

But at the end of the day, being 2X the money is a big deal. A really big deal. I paid $33K for my Mac out the door, and that's exactly half what the 26RK would have cost.

Every time I break or bend something on the MacGregor a bitch a little about cheapness, but in reality, I've only spent a total of $5000 upgrading my boat and it's pretty much the way I want it--at least to the point that I don't have anything I feel like I have to do to it. And its really, really easy to get used to that 16 knots of "get home" speed. It took me less time to get from Sandy Point ramp to Port Annapolis Marina in the boat than it took my wife to drive the tow beast and trailer here. I could also cut across 3 foot shallows safely where all the other sailboats were going around.

We lowered the mast and unrigged the boat for an uneventful 3000 mile cross country in about an hour. That's not a lot of time. Rigging in New York took about 30 minutes, and unrigging to move the the Cheasapeake only took 30 minutes, although I should have spent an hour (as the mast hopped off the carrier at some point). Like everyone else, I was leery about the "flimsy" single axle trailer, but having done 3000 miles cross country on half-inflated tires, I'm here to tell you that the design is just fine and the only issue with it is the steel drawbar. Galvanized or aluminum drawbar and that trailer's doing what it needs to do: Put an axle under a boat. It's the boat's hull that makes the trailer rigid, they act together as a system.

Sometimes I feel like I'm breaking something just about every time I go sailing, but I've built up a pretty good rig box and set of tools onboard. I've got redundant parts for just about everything that can break, and it all fits in a shoebox. The boat itself has considerable redundancy built in as well. I worry about loosing a daggerboard, but If I do I'll just kick up the motor and power home. I don't see any single accident taking this boat out.

All that said, I'm still looking at the 32RK 8)
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Bag that! It's the 46 footer that looks right to me! Wow, now THAT'S a boat! Teak decks - the whole works!! :)
bartmac
Captain

Post by bartmac »

In our house I'm allowed to look ,droll and fantasize.......no touching!!! and that goes for in alphabetical order automobiles, broads (comes up under other headings),bikes (motor),boats, ho sh*t not alphabetical order just the whole alphabet
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

YEAH! if I was all set up like Roger I would have that 46 footer parked at the dock downstairs. Nice.

The house on the water is the first step.
Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz »

Then look for another location.. Ocean Front or even Ocean Access is a pretty big nut to crack in Calif.
BOAT wrote: The house on the water is the first step.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Yup, it will never happen for me Divecoz - I'm just a working stiff - I will never have enough money for a house on the water here - I feel lucky that I even live where I do - as least I can SEE the ocean on a clear day - but I think that's probably about as close as I'm gonna get unless I hit the lottery.

Those SEAWARD boats are really nice - I think Mastreb is right - I think that is better than the other boat in the picture (Imexus) but still I'm glad for all the guys that have a MAC even though they can afford something a lot more expensive - I'm surprised at how many people have big boats in slips AND have a MAC! And they seem to sail their MAC more than their big boats! Couple of guys like that here in Oceanside, (well, they don't LIVE in Oceanside but they have their boats in Oceanside).

Just wait till that 22 foot boat comes out from Florida - I bet they will get FLOODED with orders.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

There's a Seaward 32RK (used) for sale for 90k - just came on this week. New ones are more than $100k. :P
Divecoz wrote:What am I missing..? I read its $85K + for the Imexus and I thought it was over over $100K for the Seaward 32.. and about $25K for the Mac..The SEaward I really like and have been on a couple.. I am not impressed with the Imexus and surely not for $85K But $85 K Puts it wayyyyyyyyyyyyy out of my range anyway..My brother has found some really nice Blue Water turnkey 35-40 footers for under $50K.. He also has found several for under $20K that he could re-fit to his desires and still be under the $50K mark .. BUT... he doesnt need for it to trailer and he is always coaxing me to sell the :macm: take the money and get a blue water boat ..We too like our :macm: TOO MUCH to just the way it is to make that jump..
dlandersson wrote:Yes, but a Seaward 32RK is nicer - and costs about the same. :D

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Well, actually...that's what I do. Kids LOVE going to the marina/beach/cafe/zoo/park/ etc. (they are all together) :P
BOAT wrote:Oh yeah, diver is right - I think most of us got mac's BECAUSE we were tired of the slip fees and bottom cleanings and repairs blah blah blah - really, even if I had 100 grand to blow on a boat - why would I get the one that I can't park on the side of my house??? Do I WANT to drive down to the marina every time I want to do some work on my boat?? Do I WANT to have a boat that is really getting hard to sail by myself?? Do I really have the time to spend 7 hours getting to Catalina???
J.Teixeira
First Officer
Location: ARIANE - Europe - Portugal - Douro Valey - Dehler 24 - Bass Fishing

Post by J.Teixeira »

Hi

How much does and Imexus 28 cost in the USA???

Did I hear 100 grand???

In Europe the price difference is not that big.

A mac is about 34000€ and an Imexus 48000€ with honda 50HP...

About the discussion Imexus/Mac I love my :macx: ARIANE 8)

Jose