A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
beene
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: And THIS is why I can't go sailing

Post by beene »

BOAT wrote:
Tomfoolery wrote:
BOAT wrote:Yeah, sorry - I think I will drive over to New Jersey this summer and stay in the Liberty Harbor camp ground and ride the PATH over to the World Trade Center and ride the subway to Penn Station and take an Amtrak and see you guys in Rochester 6-1/2 hours after the train departs, assuming it doesn't get stuck or have to wait a long time for the freights that own most of the track. What's the best time of year for Rochester?
Fixed it for you.

And he's right. June 1, or at least that's when spring really starts. But September 5 could either be hot summer, or snow. One never knows around here. :P :wink:
Rochester is way over there by the big lakes - I'm on the wrong side of the state. Thanks for correcting me - I keep getting Buffalo and Rochester and Danbury mixed up. Now I know why the Canada guys are making fun of you.

Those Canada guys are a lot of fun.
Ya thanks.... I think 8)

My Fav time to visit NY is in the fall with all the colors

Central Park doing the Literary walk

Got married there in OCT and had all our pics taken in CP

Good times

G
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Been there! From Port Angeles we drove the camper van onto the ferry they put us in with a bunch of cars:

and they dropped us off in downtown Victoria -

to get back home we got on this really cool big ferry at Nanaimo and it dropped us off in Horseshoe Bay. From there we were able to take the 99 back home.

We only got as far north as Qualicum Bay - there was a beach way to the north I wanted to see but I can't remember the name - it had moon like rock things

That BC place is really cool and the people are real nice too.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

All u have to do is attach a chain saw to the end of ur 3ft bowsprit :P :D :D :D

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Yep me too this water front condo been waiting for me to move out there for 10yrs now the inner harbour Victoria BC

Hi G
See ur Dad,s life long career as a Pilot in the C.A.F. has rubbed of on U , I guess it,s now in the blood so to speak , very well done , Mmm r they still on sale ! :|

J 8)
kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet »

Warmer Climes have their problems too ya know :)
IDQ20032
Bureau of Meteorology
Queensland Regional Office

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for ABNORMALLY HIGH TIDES and DANGEROUS SURF

For people in parts of the
Wide Bay and Burnett and
Southeast Coast Forecast Districts.

Issued at 4:51 am Saturday, 27 February 2016.

Synoptic Situation:
At 4am AEST, Ex-Tropical Cyclone Winston was located over the southern Coral Sea approximately 660km east northeast of Brisbane. The system is expected to track northwestwards during the next 24 hours, remaining offshore of the east Queensland coast.

Ex-Tropical Cyclone Winston will retain an intense wind structure through the next 12 to 18 hours. Winds and waves are expected to increase further about southern Queensland beaches south of Sandy Cape today, leading to dangerous surf conditions and significant beach erosion.

Water levels on the high tide will likely exceed the highest tide of the year about exposed beaches of the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast and also Stradbroke and Moreton Islands today and possibly Sunday morning.

The system should start to weaken from Sunday, with waves gradually decreasing along the southern Queensland coast.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Nope, no freezing cold stuff and no tornado or sharknado or even a spout I'm afraid. That still does not happen here in San Diego - we get no hurricanes or "CY-clones" or ty--fooons or whatever they are called (sorry, we don't get that so I don't know what to call them) and the waves don't get that big either unless you go WAY out there (like 60 miles out).

The biggest ground swell we get in Southern California close to shore is about 15 feet - and that's quite manageable on a MAC because they rarely break.

But, because our coastline is in the lee of the islands it shelters us from those big rollers and by the time they get to 'boat' they are down to the blue and green 4 to 5 footers. We only sail in these 4 to 5 foot seas in the months of Feb thru April. The rest of the year it's all blue on the charts (1 to 3 foot swell).

In fact, we are having a bit of a summer set up this week and it looks like wednesday is another great day for sailing, here is the swellwatch chart for wednesday:

This is why cruising to Catalina is such a pleasure - no matter how bad the seas get you usually get a nice lee that keeps the rollers down all the way across the channel. - I have been sailing this area since I was 9 years old - it's always pleasant. Go too far south, and it gets nasty like it is in Australia, go too far north, and it gets nasty like it is on the east coast. But right here in the middle - it's PERFECT - all the time - every time - and never too cold or too hot.

Up north near the Bay area they have the REAL stuff - those guys are more brave than us. (And you Canada and East Coast guys? Well, your my heroes - that's scary stuff you guys sail in).
Last edited by BOAT on Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug W
Captain
Location: Prairie Home MO - Galactica - 2010 26M with Etec 60

Post by Doug W »

beene wrote:My latest video.... lots of dock space available... would have the whole place to myself 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLrz9mafCD0

G
Nice piloting skills. That Phantom 3 seems more stable than my Phantom was.
Doug

p.s. something's wrong with the surface tension of your water up there....
cmagnus4
Deckhand
Location: Öckerö, Sweden Mac 26M 2010 "TYR" Suzuki 15HP Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Post by cmagnus4 »

And this is why I cannot see BOAT's pictures: I get a Google "error 403" instead :( . What can I do? :?: I have tried different programs on different platforms but still this irritating "error 403".
/Claes
grady
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by grady »

cmagnus4 wrote:And this is why I cannot see BOAT's pictures: I get a Google "error 403" instead :( . What can I do? :?: I have tried different programs on different platforms but still this irritating "error 403".
/Claes
I think Boat has been banned from posting pictures! :D :D
cmagnus4
Deckhand
Location: Öckerö, Sweden Mac 26M 2010 "TYR" Suzuki 15HP Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Post by cmagnus4 »

I think Boat has been banned from posting pictures! :D :D
:D :D 8)
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

i DUNNO GUYS, I'm having no luck with Google now - Is there a decent picture hosting site out there anywhere?? :(
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

BOAT wrote:i DUNNO GUYS, I'm having no luck with Google now - Is there a decent picture hosting site out there anywhere?? :(
Tell us something we already don,t know !!! :D :D :D :P

J 8)
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

MAN, if mastreb were here he could teach us how to set up our own picture hosting site and we could make a million dollars selling banner ads for blow up dolls and and non skid whiskey glasses. :x
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

Sign me up I,m in :D :D :D :D

J :wink: