Cabin slide repair

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Cabin slide repair

Post by sunshinecoasting »

So I finally got around to doing the mod where you put fuzzy Velcro on the hatch slides today, don't let anyone tell you it is an easy job, it's not, some bolts just turn and require someone on the outside with a screwdriver helping, I didn't have that luxury so it was pretty frustrating. Some bolt holes don't line up with the bolts so getting a socket on them is tricky and finally the cam clamps at the stern end and the keel pulley at the front are a bugger to undo.

However, what a difference, it is worth all that effort and more, it just slides perfectly now, no noise, no scraping, why they didn't do this simple trick at the factory is beyond me. I recommend this to everyone, just get a friend to help if you can.

Cheers, Den.
K9Kampers
Admiral

Re: Cabin slide repair

Post by K9Kampers »

My :macx: has been ripe for this mod for years, as the hatch usually makes a neighbor-waking screech!
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

It has been a long time since I did this velcro addition. Still works great. Someone with a better memory should reply here exactly how many bolts to remove. You do not have to remove them all, in fact, only a few, and the whole top can slide out to the aft.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Those cabin top slide bolts can be a major leak point, so its a great opportunity to reseal those when doing the mod, I have resealed my starboard slide track and the port is on the cards for this winter.

Might take the opportunity to paint the bits of the slide that have lost their gelcoat with some flow coat to protect the fiberglass from waterlogging
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

How longer, m can one expect the velcro to last before it is ground down to uselessness? Anyone tried any other material that might be more durable?
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

My velcro strips under cabin top slide are fine after 6 years.
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

link here for the old thread

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20827#p248023
paula_ke
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by paula_ke »

I did the Velcro mod a few weeks ago. On my M, I was able to just take the bolts out of one side (port) and only the bolts that had access caps from within the cabin (7 or 8?) Several required that I use a flat blade screw driver to jam the nut so that it would not turn. I did this until I could get the deep well socket on to the nut. When I re-installed (with marine gue) I added an additional washer on the inside so that the nut would be more accessible for the next time (never!)

I was able to move the slat out of the way and remove the cabin hatch.

My approach was to add the fuzzy velcro to the hatch (rather than the boat) then, re-install. I placed the velcro with a slight over hang to keep the hatch centered while sliding

I was lucky. Very little ware in the gel coat. I was able to buff out the marks.

Works great!

Captain Paula of the good ship AirWave

:macm:
Last edited by paula_ke on Mon May 28, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Post by sunshinecoasting »

I found that my slider didn't just wear the bottom of the track but at points along its travel it also wore grooves in to the side of the track as well, so I ended up taking the tracks off completely, anything less would have been a poor attempt, I needed to accurately place 3/4 of the Velcro width on the horizontal part of the track and 1/4 up the vertical part.

For K9 Campers, be aware that the screech you refer to may not be the track but the forward edge of the hatch screeching on the cabin top and slowly wearing the gel coat off the anti slip there, you may end up with black hash patterns on your cabin top, it was just starting to do it to mine. Once I put the Velcro on the top misses the cabin roof by a few mm's, it has never been so quiet or smooth.
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

K9Kampers wrote:My :macx: has been ripe for this mod for years, as the hatch usually makes a neighbor-waking screech!
In some places that would b called ur anti-theft alarm ! :wink:
I done the fuzzy side velcro mod a while back too when I had to remove my sliding hatch to repair water leaks underneath where the hatch slides :(
works like a charm !
J 8)
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

sunshinecoasting wrote: For K9 Campers, be aware that the screech you refer to may not be the track but the forward edge of the hatch screeching on the cabin top and slowly wearing the gel coat off the anti slip there, you may end up with black hash patterns on your cabin top, it was just starting to do it to mine. Once I put the Velcro on the top misses the cabin roof by a few mm's, it has never been so quiet or smooth.
I did just now check that out, and while I dont have black hash patterns as suggested, the non skid gelcoat ahead of the hatch does show wear from said contact.

On the plus side, the screech can be used as a MacGregor call in anchorages looking for other Macs!
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

We also discovered that the screech was the hatch sliding on top of the cabin. We tried to take one side off and add Velcro but the screech started again after a week or two. That is when we discovered it was the contact with the cabin top making the noise. We pulled both sides off (screws) removed the hatch, cleaned the track and then added epoxy to fill in the worn groove. Here is the mod link
https://macgregorsailors.com/mods/index ... em&id=2023
After filling with epoxy we then added velcro and it has worked great for 2 years. Be careful you do not add too much epoxy. Ours was tight at first but after a week it got easier. My wife said that it is one of our best mods.
Last edited by ris on Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warfin
Deckhand

Post by warfin »

I spray sail track wax in every now and again. Happy, happy.
My only concern about the use of velcro is its susceptibility to collecting dust/sand. Ditto the sail wax but my boat lives on the water. :macx: