The "Trips I would have taken in 2020" Thread

This is a place to document your trips with your boat. Tell us about your journeys. Share your experiences. Post your pictures.
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

The "Trips I would have taken in 2020" Thread

Post by Catigale »

This might be bit bleak this year - here is to getting our boats out

WHEN>>>AND NOT UNTIL WHEN>>>>IT IS SAFE

Remember, it isnt about your safety, its about the others who need the protection.
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: The "Trips I would have taken in 2020" Thread

Post by Jimmyt »

Only had one planned, and was hoping to get it in before it gets too hot. I was planning to leave Fowl River and sail to my friend's new house construction site on Wolf Bay. It's about 30 Nm, so a nice day of sailing across the bay, with at least some motoring in the ditch. A meal stop at Lulu's on the way would be nice. I'd overnight at my friend's dock for a night or two, maybe spending a day sailing around Wolf Bay Area and visiting. He's got a trailer on the construction site and is there when work is proceeding. Then, head back to Fowl River when I've had enough. No real schedule. It would have happened already or in the next few weeks. After that, it may be fall before the weather is right again. Although, if I install AC...

Far left teardrop where route lines start; to far right teardrop.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

In June, we were going to take Nice Aft down the Delaware River to the Chesapeake Delaware Canal, through the canal to the Upper Chesapeake Bay, down the Chesapeake to Annapolis, Maryland; maybe even to St. Michaels, MD. About nine to ten days round trip.........NOT NOW :(

July 26-August 9 in Bolton Landing, NY.....:.NOT NOW :( :(
Ray ~~_/)~~
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

NiceAft wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:02 amJuly 26-August 9 in Bolton Landing, NY.....:.NOT NOW :( :(
I had to look that up. Lake George. The other end of "upstate". :D

Sorry to hear about your plans, though. We're supposed to drive to Houston to visit my grandchildren in July. That's now up in the air. The trip there in mid-April is clearly not happening.

As far as the boat goes, I don't know if my in-laws are even coming up this summer, so the boat may just end up staying in their driveway for a year. I'm the caretaker of their summer house, so I store my boat and general garage junk at their place all winter. Maybe all summer and fall and winter again at this rate. :P
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I had to look that up. Lake George. The otter end of "upstate". :D
We have been doing this for forty years, and with Nice Aft for the last fifteen.

We have canceled all trips, right up to and including New Orleans in December. Until there is a vaccine, we are quite content staying put.
Ray ~~_/)~~
WinSome
Engineer

Post by WinSome »

We were going to cruise (mostly motoring a 26c) the Rideau canal from Kingston, Ontario up to Ottawa. 202 km. 45 locks. 6 days. It’s off for now. If you are interested in some history look up the story. It still uses the original locks and gates. Some are still hand operated. Check out the flight locks in Ottawa. Stunning.
If you’ve more time can sail down Ottawa River to Montreal , then up the St Lawrence back to Kingston. The trip will stay on bucket list.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

I just want to get out on the lake and get away from other boaters. We are blessed to live in a big state with lots of open space. I pray others are able to boat in close proximity to others and have distance. Maybe raft ups will have to wait. Most of all, be safe!!!
--Russ
Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd »

I was hoping to get up to Blue Mesa reservoir in Colorado and spend a few days relaxing at the lake. It is the lake where I first sailed as a kid with my Grandfather's in his Mac in the early 80`s.
Todd
'07 26M

:macm:
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Ray, I think by July you might be able to take that upstate trip. I think things will start easing here in June
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Catigale wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:58 pm Ray, I think by July you might be able to take that upstate trip. I think things will start easing here in June
I believe the Adirondacks are one of the safer places in NY, but when all of the flat landers from Coronavirus central (Long Island, Manhattan, North Jersey), and my state of PA migrate north, along with those heading west (Conn, & Mass), I don’t wish to be in that mix. I do thank you though Stephen.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

We had hoped to make it out to Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlette Isands, off the coast of British Columbia) in July. With the border still closed, and no talk yet of opening, that trip no longer seems possible this year. I'm scaling back hopes, with some sort of trip out on Puget Sound, probably around the San Juans, in the later half of summer, anchoring out for the most part.
Catigale
Site Admin

Post by Catigale »

NiceAft wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:57 pm
Catigale wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:58 pm Ray, I think by July you might be able to take that upstate trip. I think things will start easing here in June
I believe the Adirondacks are one of the safer places in NY, but when all of the flat landers from Coronavirus central (Long Island, Manhattan, North Jersey), and my state of PA migrate north, along with those heading west (Conn, & Mass), I don’t wish to be in that mix. I do thank you though Stephen.
I could give you support for a great Hudson River long weekend up near us. Isolated and eagle, osprey, and heron nesting watching. No people. Boat launch deserted today
finding41
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by finding41 »

I was lucky and got out to almost all of my planned trips. I did miss sailing from Manitoulin Island to Great Duck Island with some friends. I was the only one that could go. 2020 has messed up a bunch of my buddies schedules but luckily I've been able to get out.
I've been in Georgian Bay more than my local Yacht club this year. All in 4.5 weeks on 2 different boats. 3.5 weeks in the Mac26D and one week in the Siren 17. (Yea a week in the Siren! It's like pup tent camping.)
We've sailed from Spanish Ont West to the Whales Back and explored around there for a week. Sailed out of Wiarton up to Wingfield Basin at the top of the Bruce Peninsula and back for a week. Sailed from Wiarton and explored the Islands and Owen Sound for a week. I took a buddie for 4 days and sailed out of Wiarton. A couple weeks back I took the Siren to Key River and sailed West and explored all the nooks and crannies along the North shore of Georgian Bay to the French River outlet.
That last trip I didn't lock down the swing keel on the Siren. I used it as a depth sounder. Hit bottom 8 times. Each time it just skimmed over the rock not lifting it very much. I used my Navionics app to mark my tracks. Now I need to sit down and mark the depth on my roll charts.
The Siren keel hangs 4' down. The lake level is almost 5' above datum.
Next summer (and in the years to come) I'll know where I can get into with the Mac.
Marty
Marty Jackson (Finding41)
Mac 26D, Mac 19
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

A SIren 17! My first boat!

I had it for three years before I got the 26X. I slept in it exactly once. That was enough. I can't imagine a week.
That one time I slept in it with my brother, and together we weighted it down enough that the keel bolt was under the tops of the waves, and each passing wave brought in a drop of water. We woke up with water up to the bunks....I dropped my arm down as I was waking up and...surprise!

That little boat was overbuilt. The mast was larger diameter than on my X. Hull was super thick, and you couldn't break it. Large cockpit. Small "cabin". Quotation marks are required when talking about its "cabin".
Bobglas
First Officer

Post by Bobglas »

Missed our annual saltwater trip to little Narragansett Bay where we anchor behind the bar and dinghy, cross over to sit on one ofthe most pleasant beaches in the N.E. However most of the summer was spent on a Lake Champlain practically empty of other boats due to Canadian closure. So not a total loss!