what kind of stove do you use?

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
Brian-Up-North
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

what kind of stove do you use?

Post by Brian-Up-North »

I am curious what kind of stove do most people use: Alcohol, propane, butane? and what model?

is there any reason why we would not want to use a coleman camping propane stove ?

Anything to stay away from in terms of safety / fire risk?
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: what kind of stove do you use?

Post by Tomfoolery »

I use one of these, which came in a plastic case, for about $12.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice ... =Equipment

I also have a small propane kettle grill from Magma, which mounts to one of the cockpit rails. I have an extension rod for it to make it easier to reach. Of course, it lives in a locker below decks when not being used, as it gets in the way otherwise.

Fuel is kept in one of the gas tank lockers in the cockpit.

I usually use the butane stove in the cockpit, but sometimes below decks when the weather isn't good. Just leave ports and hatches open for ventilation.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

I use the Wallas stove, which burns kerosene. It offers a number of benefits, including the following: kerosene as a fuel is readily available, and produces higher heat than alcohol; it is very fuel efficient (2.5 gallon tank will last a month); stove is externally vented, so no potentially harmful products of combustion are released to the cabin, and unlike alcohol or propane, it doesn't contribute to humidity in the cabin; the stove has a hood which can be lowered over the burner element - thermostatically regulated squirrel cage fan turns on and allows the stove to operate as a very effective cabin heater. Now for the disadvantages: it is very expensive (in excess of 2 boat bucks), and it can be very fussy. Beyond the general wear and tear of parts such as fan motor and fuel pump, there are numerous sources of trouble and I've experienced them all. First, it doesn't like old fuel, so I never try burning kerosene from the previous season (I burn it in a space heater I use in my shop). Next, it doesn't like to ignite under low voltage conditions. This has been the source of rather frequent trouble, and I recently replaced the wiring with 10 gauge and a shorter run, all new connections and fuse holder. Hopefully that will eliminate that problem. A couple of issues exist related to the fuel lines, which I've learned how to diagnose. And, if I heel the boat more than 30 degrees, water can enter the through hull exhaust port. This obstructs the exhaust tube, preventing the stove from operating. It's been a long term love/hate relationship, but I'm stubborn, and determined to prevail. However, I've also learned to carry a backup, which currently is one of those compact butane camp stoves, which for short trips, I like a lot.
WinSome
Engineer

Post by WinSome »

We’ve an Origio alcohol burner that works fine -follow instructions- and a propane bbq on the rail. Alcohol is a lot less ‘hot’ than propane
Remember propane is heavier than air and sinks down! Ventilation? When/If it leaks! Do some research as at
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9 ... 74616.html
It’ll all depend on amount of usage and what you want to spend if purchasing.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I have a Dickinson two burner propane stove.

I also have a Magma rectangular grill which attaches to the stern rail seats.

It has legs which unfold, so it is extremely portable; it is used on shore for bar-b-q’s .
Ray ~~_/)~~
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim »

I use a one-burner butane stove, which we use in the cockpit. but all we use it for is coffee.

--john
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Soon to be the West Marine Click 2 Cook Butane 9,500 btu/hr input single burner in the galley.

I've got a Magma propane grill on the stern rail.

Check this thread for a quagmire of cautionary and humorous replies to the safety concerns. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27573

Bottom line, don't store fuel in the cabin. Don't store fuel where vapors from a leak could enter the cabin. Fuel vapors are heavier than air. Fuel storage should be configured so that vapors from a potential leak will be directed overboard.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
rsvpasap
Engineer

Post by rsvpasap »

I have a Wallas diesel stove and it has been excellent for about 1,500 hours of use so far as a stove and heater.
I also have a microwave and a butane/propane one-burner portable that I sometimes use in the cockpit or for shore excursions.

If I was looking for a properly installed propane setup, I would seriously consider the Camp Chef Oven which has two burners and an oven in a compact unit. Would probably need some good insulation and ventilation. https://www.google.com/search?q=camp+ch ... +chef+oven
DownSouth
Chief Steward

Post by DownSouth »

Origo alcohol (mentholated spirits in Australia) stove. The Origo Canisters don’t use pressure like some alcohol stoves very safe lighter than air fuel stove.

As convenient as Butane (LPG liquid petroleum gas Australia) is in other sorts of camping you can’t get away from the fact that Butane is heavier than air and will fall down into the bilge waiting for you to light a match..... 8% LPG to 92% Oxygen is an explosive mix.

DownSouth
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Down south said:
Butane is heavier than air and will fall down into the bilge waiting for you to light a match

This was a concern of mine also. I decided that with the proper precautions, I could lessen the danger considerably. I believe my infrequent use of the stove, along with not keeping any containers of Propane in the cabin, have the source of fuel outside
, and having the cabin well ventilated, would lessen the risk enough to be reasonable. The stove is great.

Ray ~~_/)~~
Kayakeur
Sailboat: Venture 23

Post by Kayakeur »

Lots of opinions on this. Propane seems to be very popular. I'm looking for an alcohol stove because propane and butane are heavier than air. Even if tank is stored in cockpit, a leak would fill the cockpit then spill down into cabin at anchor overnight. Even a slow propane/butane leak would asphyxiate a sleeping person.
I suppose that's rare but I'll sleep better knowing that I'll wake up alive.
Bud
Chiquita
Venture of Newport 23
Virginia

btw: I used a Coleman 2-burner campstove running on Coleman liquid fuel but it was too easy to spill fuel refilling, and pumping the tank bothersome in the middle of cooking. I'd rather have cold soup and cold coffee. Hardboil a couple dozen eggs at home before launching, stock cans of tuna for protein, and choose vegetables that last a long time. Also use those special green plastic bags that keep vegetables from rotting for 4 times longer. Plus potato chips and beverage.
I sold the Coleman on OfferUp for $10 to a landlubber.
Bud
Chiquita
Venture of Newport 23
Virginia foothills of Shenandoah Mountains
Keep the dry side up.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

NiceAft wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:49 pm Down south said:
Butane is heavier than air and will fall down into the bilge waiting for you to light a match

This was a concern of mine also. I decided that with the proper precautions, I could lessen the danger considerably. I believe my infrequent use of the stove, along with not keeping any containers of Propane in the cabin, have the source of fuel outside
, and having the cabin well ventilated, would lessen the risk enough to be reasonable. The stove is great.

That is a REALLY nice stove, Ray! 8)
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

DownSouth wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:46 am As convenient as Butane (LPG liquid petroleum gas Australia) is in other sorts of camping you can’t get away from the fact that Butane is heavier than air and will fall down into the bilge waiting for you to light a match..... 8% LPG to 92% Oxygen is an explosive mix.

DownSouth
True. I chose Butane for mine because of the smaller fuel tank. The propane bottle was close to LEL/LFL base on the bilge volume (space between liner and hull. Butane, although a bit more exciting, was further from LEL/LFL because of the smaller amount in the canister. Estimates based on losing a whole canister in the cabin with zero ventilation...

Gotta ask. Do you light matches in your bilge often? :D

I agree that non-pressurized alcohol is the way to go if you can find one.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
chipveres
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 22

Post by chipveres »

I bid one Origo pressureless alcohol and one Magma grill.

Chip
s/v Sand Dollar.
leefrankpierce
Engineer

Post by leefrankpierce »

Origo single burner, Microwave when in slip.
26X in Dallas Fort-Worth area Texas
Slip at Eagle Mountain Lake
:macx: