Just had my 26 X weighed!!

For MacGregor/Venture owners in Australia and discussions about country-specific sailing-related topics.
Mattyj
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Just had my 26 X weighed!!

Post by Mattyj »

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a 1999 26X. Took her down to the local weighbridge and she came in at 1.84t!! Specs say she weighs 1.1t empty, plus around 300kg for original trailer and have a 60 Yamaha (120kg) that's 1.52t. I'm trying to chase the extra 300kgs!! Al that's left are sails, anchor gear, 2 x house batteries and wiring. Any thoughts on my extra weight? Cheers Matt
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Just had my 26 X weighed!!

Post by Jimmyt »

Fuel, water, oil, spare tire? Is your ballast tank and bilge dry?
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Welcome to the forum. Update your boat and location. Click your name (upper right arrow)->User Control Panel

I'm not sure I believe the specs. Gear, fuel, water can weigh a lot more than you think.
--Russ
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

well 1.85T including trailer? This seems for me a very good.

Recently I had with my :macm: including trailer, NO ballst but 120kg kitchen water on 2500kg...

Ok, the stock trailer was with tandem axle and I have 2500kg in the paper.

QESTION:
@ all stock alu :macm: two axle trailer: How much weight do you have in the papers???
For what max weight the Alu-Frame is designet?
Maybe I could raise the weight, axles, brakes and tyres could take more, but I don't know the frame!
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Batteries, fuel, sails, and gear even for a day sail will run very close to 300kg for me.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
DownSouth
Chief Steward

Post by DownSouth »

Mattyj wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:07 pm Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a 1999 26X. Took her down to the local weighbridge and she came in at 1.84t!! Specs say she weighs 1.1t empty, plus around 300kg for original trailer and have a 60 Yamaha (120kg) that's 1.52t. I'm trying to chase the extra 300kgs!! Al that's left are sails, anchor gear, 2 x house batteries and wiring. Any thoughts on my extra weight? Cheers Matt
Now add food, water, fuel, sleeping gear etc for a week trip and you are over 2 tonnes (I assume you are measuring in metric tonnes and not imperial tons?). And over the Qld / Australian limit for override brakes. This is why I ditched the original single axle trailer that had something like 1400kg rating stamped on it for a proper galvanised, tandem axle, roller bed trailer rated at 2800kg with hydraulic/ electric brakes. It’s bliss to tow and launch from and I feel better which is the most important bit...:)

DownSouth
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Any and all safety gear. Fuel tanks. Water in the porta-potti. Boarding ladder. Boat hook. Marine VHF radio. Dock lines. Heck, even the head sail wasn’t in the original weight, AFAIK; just main sail and boom.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

hmmm, with the 1200kg in the paper, I even ask if the boat is including Mast and boom.

Maybe just the bare boat without anything. And maybe in this configuration Roger made the speed test and reached 22 miles... (not knots... hahaaa)
DownSouth
Chief Steward

Post by DownSouth »

Yes I'm not surprised at the weight - it is why the original Steel Mac trailers are probably not legal in Australia - mine had something like 1400kg stamped on it - clearly overloaded....

My last 21ft Plywood Hartley came in over 2000kg....

DownSouth