Will a 26S trailer work for 26X boat??

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
BogeyLUVS2sail
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Will a 26S trailer work for 26X boat??

Post by BogeyLUVS2sail »

Dear Forum members, I have a 26S along with trailer and found an older sailor with 26X wanting to sell their boat(in pretty rough shape) but they don't have a trailer, so I wonder if you kind folks would know if the 26S trailer could handle a 26X boat, and what mods would be required, if any??? Otherwise, this 26X potential boat buy looks less appealing ; ) Thank you for any advice on this question!! Kind regards, Gypsy Spirit..._/)*.....
pitchpolehobie
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Will a 26S trailer work for 26X boat??

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Ask @svscott He has both I think
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
WinSome
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by WinSome »

Forget the trouble to rebuild everything.
The trailers are different lengths, cross members in different places and different angles (to accommodate the different hull shape) , axle different location etc.
in particular the X needs longer trailer to accommodate the extra motor weight.
I’ve had both trailer side by each checking out the same desire. and they are very different
Just not going to be worth the effort
BogeyLUVS2sail

Post by BogeyLUVS2sail »

Thanks for the feedback; it's very helpful!!
BogeyLUVS2sail

Post by BogeyLUVS2sail »

:macx: Thank you all for the responses and advice. Now I will devote some energy to try to find a fellow Mac 26X sailor who has upgraded their original factory trailer and may want to sell their old, single-axle trailer to me. Please refer to any of your 26X sailor friends! Thank you!!
svscott
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by svscott »

BogeyLUVS2sail wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:21 pm :macx: Thank you all for the responses and advice. Now I will devote some energy to try to find a fellow Mac 26X sailor who has upgraded their original factory trailer and may want to sell their old, single-axle trailer to me. Please refer to any of your 26X sailor friends! Thank you!!
I know there was an X trailer or two in the Buffalo, NY area very recently! I could get in contact with one of the sellers to see if they're still trying to get rid of it.

As mentioned, I fitted a 26M aluminum trailer to my 26d and I love it. I built a hoist in my driveway to lift the boat off the old trailer and then put the new trailer under it and jacked it up to the boat to get proper fitment. I then bolted on new 1/4 wall square tube cross members and added wood bunks in the correct locations for my boat. Fiddly, I unbolted the axle and moved out forward to get the right tongue weight. It takes a little work but wasn't terribly difficult.
1987 26D - Three Hour Tour; 1998 26X - to be named