How to sail to the Bahamas

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

How to sail to the Bahamas

Post by dlandersson »

Pretty interesting 8)

Last edited by dlandersson on Tue May 11, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Re: How to sail to the Bahams

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Seems easy enough. Does the MacGregor group still go?
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
svscott
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Re: How to sail to the Bahams

Post by svscott »

I've read a bunch of trip reports and have been researching this for a long time. With the proper precautions, it seems safely doable. I'd definitely feel safer with at least one buddy boat for the crossing over the Gulf Stream and to help with trip planning.

I've sailed 50 miles (1 way) across Lake Erie from PA to Canada and back twice on the 26D and though there are no real currents or tides in Lake Erie, I think our weather forecasts are less predictable. Lake Erie can get unexpected thunderstorms and waves get dangerous fast when the wind kicks up over 25 mph. The first trip to Port Dover seemed so daunting until we were underway but there weren't many butterflies in my stomach about the 2nd trip.
1987 26D - Three Hour Tour; 1998 26X - to be named
steve4
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Re: How to sail to the Bahamas

Post by steve4 »

I've been wondering about this elusive "MacGregor group that sails to the Bahamas together from Florida" but I've only hit dead-ends and references to trips from decades ago. I think it would be quite a trip and definitely safer as a fleet than solo.
adudinsk
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by adudinsk »

Would be interesting how to go through customs..etc.etc.etc... and all the paper work needed.

AD
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Sign me up! :macx:
Tohatsu 25HP
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

adudinsk wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:35 am Would be interesting how to go through customs..etc.etc.etc... and all the paper work needed.

AD
Especially with COVID. These days I believe you need a lot of documentation to get into the islands.

Sumner sailed his 26D to the Bahamas. Link here
http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015%20Ba ... -Menu.html
--Russ
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Thanks! I always wanted to do a long haul in the 26M...
(but I do not see it in the near future)

AD
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

I'd like to do it - but lets let the quarantine business settle down first. 8)
steve4 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:34 pm I've been wondering about this elusive "MacGregor group that sails to the Bahamas together from Florida" but I've only hit dead-ends and references to trips from decades ago. I think it would be quite a trip and definitely safer as a fleet than solo.
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Great lakes flotilla seems like another option. :macx:
Tohatsu 25HP
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Yes - perhaps a flotilla for each great lake 8)
pitchpolehobie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:19 am Great lakes flotilla seems like another option. :macx:
PSNA
Engineer
Sailboat: Other

Post by PSNA »

You may want to contact the Ft. Lauderdale Tourism or Chamber office. Prior to covid, there was a weekly organized flotilla of sail and power boats that made the crossing. You start just before sunrise.

I have made the trip three times. All had a clear weather window. One was dead calm and we motored the entire way. The second was under sail and fine. The third was pretty bad even for a 42' sailboat. Wind began to blow but the danger was the sea itself. Very confused with large waves. A big washing machine. The current was wicked and the autopilot was kept very busy trying to hold course.

The best area in the Bahamas is the Abacos. Completely protected and gorgeous. You can purchase a permit and pull lobsters off the floor for dinner!
svscott
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by svscott »

pitchpolehobie wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:19 am Great lakes flotilla seems like another option. :macx:
Yes to this!

My vote is to meet up on Lake Erie in Erie, PA but I could be convinced to visit western lake erie and explore Put-in-Bay, Kelleys Island, Cedar Point, etc.

I still plan to trailer to Florida and make that crossing eventually but it is way more involved and still feels like a pipe dream.
1987 26D - Three Hour Tour; 1998 26X - to be named
adudinsk
First Officer

Post by adudinsk »

Great Lakes..

I sale Lake St. Clair.. thats where my club is at..

Been up Detroit River..

Pesch Island.. NICE day spot.
Nice beach.. ruins of Hiram Walker's summer cottage.. Yeah.. the island used to be his Summer getaway.
Nice lagoon for swimming too..
When NON covid.. has washrooms..
BBQs always open.. has a wall to tie too.. (day only )
Anchor by the beach with all the other boats for overnight.

Have friends on Lake Erie.. they warn about the biting flies in the middle of the lake (watch lady K sailing on youtube (not a Mac..).. lol.. he was killing 100's! )
Also it can get shallow.. many friends hit bottom.. (but they dont have macs!)
Also can get choppy VERY VERY fast.. but macs can motor out of trouble much faster.. lol

Lots of cool islands in Erie.. to day trip to.
Boblo Isand is fun.. but $1.59 per foot.. (and the restaurant is closed again..)
(nice beach)
Remains from Boblo Island Amusement Park to explore..

Peele Island.. a bit of a haul .. but nice.. not sure of marina costs..

Many from my club go up from Lake St. Clair.. up the St. Clair river.. then to north channel.. for 1-2 weeks in summer
about 20+hrs solid sail...
Many do it in 2 days or some 3.
I wanted to go.. but we had a death in the family so that was not possible

WAY MORE cool places to stop at visit in USA.. but... we have COVID.. so.. as a Canadian.. could not go.
USA has some FANTASTIC marinas.. Canada.. ok.. but not like the USA...

AD
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

After being on Lake Champlain for nearly the past two months I’d suggest a flotilla of MacGregors to transit Champlain North to South or South to North or both and inbetween! :D :D

There are at least a dozen MacGregors on the Lake currently that we have stumbled upon and we weren’t looking! :o :o There are bound to be more as we have only seen a fraction of the Lake so far. 8) 8)

We are already making plans to come back next year! Lake Champlain is over a hundred miles long and huge!!! It is beautiful here. :) :) The water is clean and crystal clear down to beyond 20+feet!

There are numerous islands, marinas, anchorages, state parks, beaches and restaurants! There are multiple enroute destinations.

It would be a great Mac flotilla location to share with the lucky local Mac owners and those that can trailer over!

Just a thought and our 2 cents!

Just gotta wait until everyone is vaccinated so it’s safe for everyone to get together….

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈