Hull shape and trailer center clearance

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
SLP 61
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Hull shape and trailer center clearance

Post by SLP 61 »

Bought a 26M yesterday and am now looking for a trailer. No luck so far finding one made for Mac, so looking at what I can adapt. Considering this, but am concerned that the center of the hull may not clear the cross beams. Pretty sure that the bunks can be angled but not raised. Thoughts?Image
Jimmyt
Admiral

Re: Hull shape and trailer center clearance

Post by Jimmyt »

Here are some photos of the stock setup for reference. You can probably adapt that trailer, but the boat may sit a bit higher than the stock trailer. As long as you have deep ramps, might not be an issue.

Stock setup is two transverse bunks with a v-bunk at the bow. The boat is in my basement, so I can make a few measurements if you need them.

Note that the center support block is on a cross beam that is mounted BELOW the side rails.

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
SLP 61

Post by SLP 61 »

Thanks Jimmyt. Those photos are helpful. I think I’ll pass on that trailer and keep looking. Clean boat!
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

maybe it helps this...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27256&start=30
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Thanks Kurz!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
SLP 61

Post by SLP 61 »

How about this one? Don’t mind fixing the wiring, but any advice on the rust? It’s only $1300.
SLP 61

Post by SLP 61 »

How about this one? Don’t mind fixing the wiring, but any advice on the rust? It’s only $1300.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

If you check the thread that Kurz posted above, there are detailed dimensions of the stock M trailer. That should give you the ballpark dimensions to look for.

Assuming that the hull section roughly matches the M trailer, I like this one better. Cross beams mounted low with depressed center section should allow the boat to mount lower on the trailer than your previous example.

I'm not a fan of roller bunks, but they do offer some advantages (probably eliminate the need to Macbump the boat when loading). As long as you strap the boat well when trailering (including bow to back of trailer straps to prevent the boat from joining you in the front seat), it should be fine. Remember that you can't unhook your winch strap until the boat is in the water.

If you are going to remove the roller bunks and duplicate the stock M trailer bunk layout, disregard above... Note, if the rollers work for you, it's a win.

The rust I can see doesn't look structural, but I can't tell for sure. I'd be more concerned with the axles than the bunks, though. Replacing the bunk metal wouldn't be too difficult, or pricey if you had to sub it out. Examine the brakes, axle ends and hubs for severe damage. Hubs and brakes can be replaced, but axles start to get pricey.

I wire brush, sand, etc. my galvanized pieces that have rusted, and re-coat with a zinc rich primer. If it's not structural rust, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Surface rust doesn't compromise the integrity of the metal to a significant degree. If the metal is flaking off, leaving the member significantly thinner, or you can push a scratch awl through the piece in places, that member needs to be replaced.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

Jimmyt wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:50 amI'm not a fan of roller bunks, but they do offer some advantages (probably eliminate the need to Macbump the boat when loading). As long as you strap the boat well when trailering (including bow to back of trailer straps to prevent the boat from joining you in the front seat), it should be fine. Remember that you can't unhook your winch strap until the boat is in the water.
I agree, and another advantage of rollers is that he won't have submerge the trailer as far, making it easier to guide between the goal posts, if they're even needed. But he will need a long winch line, or better yet, an electric winch.
Tom
Be seeing you . . .