1987 MacGregor 26 trailer question

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
chuckwalla

1987 MacGregor 26 trailer question

Post by chuckwalla »

Did these trailers come with brake mounting flanges?

I'm assuming it's probably best to just replace the entire axle. Is there an axle length or model people can recommend for this trailer, I'm guessing a 3500 pound rated axle would be a good fit. Also, are there specific leaf springs anyone can recommend?

Also, what is the length of the empty trailer? I'm curious if it would fit in my garage while I have the boat in the water.
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: 1987 MacGregor 26 trailer question

Post by Jimmyt »

chuckwalla wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:55 pm Did these trailers come with brake mounting flanges?

I'm assuming it's probably best to just replace the entire axle. Is there an axle length or model people can recommend for this trailer, I'm guessing a 3500 pound rated axle would be a good fit. Also, are there specific leaf springs anyone can recommend?

Also, what is the length of the empty trailer? I'm curious if it would fit in my garage while I have the boat in the water.
Welcome to the forum!

My empty trailer measures 25'-3" from hitch to lights. With boat, it's about 35'-6" the way I have it stored. You could shorten it by removing the Furling headsail from the mast.

Here is a thread that discusses the M trailer dimensions in detail. It will give you a good idea of the ballpark you're in. Hopefully, someone with a trailer actually matching your Year will weigh in, also.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27256&start=30
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Be Free
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: 1987 MacGregor 26 trailer question

Post by Be Free »

chuckwalla wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:55 pm Did these trailers come with brake mounting flanges?

First, welcome to the forum!
It would help to know which boat you are asking about. I'd guess from the year that you have a "D".

In general, it is usually easier to replace the axles than it is to weld on new spindles. You can get axles with or without brake mounting flanges. Do you see any indication that the trailer used to have brakes (brake lines, surge coupler, etc)? You can add brakes to a trailer that never had them but it will require more parts.

A 3500 pound axle would probably be fine for a "D" (if that's what you have). Unless you have a good reason to change the setup just replace the springs with an appropriately sized set like the trailer already has.

Good luck with your project.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D