Water pump for sink. Advice?

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Bobglas
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Water pump for sink. Advice?

Post by Bobglas »

I fit 4 gallon tanks into the sliding galley (I carry 2 more to replace when empty). Tired of pumping. Planning a faucet/button combo. Thinking a self priming pump is in order. Any suggestions?
rsvpasap
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Water pump for sink. Advice?

Post by rsvpasap »

Quiet. Dependable. Inexpensive.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

viewtopic.php?p=345706#p345706

This is what I did, just for a data point. However, the pump I used is pretty noisy. Otherwise, the arrangement worked out perfect.

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

rsvpasap I will give that one a try. I have one brand in the boat and is not too bad as far as noise so I bought a different one for my trailer as it was supposed to be quiet. As one guy said ours sounds like a woodpecker on meth. Very noisy. So I will get one like yours as a spare for this summer. Jimmyt nice setup, I think we will put a small filter on ours between tank and pump.
Richard
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Jimmyt wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:40 pm viewtopic.php?p=345706#p345706

This is what I did, just for a data point. However, the pump I used is pretty noisy. Otherwise, the arrangement worked out perfect.

Did you glue the blocks of wood to the fiberglass and then screw into the wood?
I just used bolts to attach my pump right into the inside of the compartment. Noisy as all get go and wakes me up quick in the morning when the admiral turns on the faucet.

I wonder if your method would insulate noise better. The pump itself has rubber feet to insulate for vibration, but obviously doesn't work well.

And of course, everything Jimmy does is first-rate. Look at that setup with screens and pressure guages. Nice.
--Russ
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

ris wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:06 am As one guy said ours sounds like a woodpecker on meth...
Richard
:D :D :D

Yep, that's the type I bought! :D
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Russ wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:07 am Did you glue the blocks of wood to the fiberglass and then screw into the wood?
I just used bolts to attach my pump right into the inside of the compartment. Noisy as all get go and wakes me up quick in the morning when the admiral turns on the faucet.

I wonder if your method would insulate noise better. The pump itself has rubber feet to insulate for vibration, but obviously doesn't work well.
Thanks for the kind words, Russ.

Yes, I glued wood blocks to the hull with PL construction adhesive for pump mounting and to strap and contain my water tank (mounted to top of ballast tank). With the cover on, and seat cushion in place, it's not deafening, but would probably still wake me up on a quiet morning. So, I'm going to guess that if there is any attenuation, it isn't much. I need to test it in the water to see if it's any better. I'm thinking the water may dampen some of the vibration. If it's too loud in the water, I may try some isolation pads at the mounts to see if I can tone it down some. If it's still a problem, I may get the pump rsvpasap recommends above.

The water tank was full during my recent outing, where my buddies tried to throw each other off the boat with extreme heeling. I'm glad to say the tank stayed in place during all of that foolishness. :D So, looks like the PL is satisfactory so far.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Here is a baseline of considerations and are a couple options…. For 12VDC powered pumps.

https://soundproofempire.com/quietest-rv-water-pump/

How about a virtually silent operating system?
This is Another option if you’re interested is making a simple pressurized water tank out of PVC pipe (4” or 6” diameter) end caps and related fittings such as tees, elbows, reducers, fill cap, barb fittings, a couple band clamps, tygon vinyl tubing and a threaded Schrader valve.
You fabricate it to fit your particular needs and available space.
You can also fabricate one out of black PVC pipe to mount to your mast as a portable solar hot water shower supply if desired. :) :)

You only need a small amount of air pressure to lift water to the sink or even up on deck from the side or bottom bilge spaces if desired. About 5 to 15 psi of air pressure should be more than sufficient with a hand air pump (small bicycle type is more than sufficient) periodically.
You don’t need much.
You can lead the pressurization line to just about any convenient location as you may desire with a flex line.
No electrical power requirements!
No switch mounting or wire routing!
No pump noise at all! :) :)

We’ve used similar systems in RVs since I was a kid!

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Piddle and Futz
Engineer

Post by Piddle and Futz »

OverEasy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:13 pm ...
How about a virtually silent operating system?
This is Another option if you’re interested is making a simple pressurized water tank out of PVC pipe (4” or 6” diameter) end caps and related fittings such as tees, elbows, reducers, fill cap, barb fittings, a couple band clamps, tygon vinyl tubing and a threaded Schrader valve.
You fabricate it to fit your particular needs and available space.
You can also fabricate one out of black PVC pipe to mount to your mast as a portable solar hot water shower supply if desired. :) :)

You only need a small amount of air pressure to lift water to the sink or even up on deck from the side or bottom bilge spaces if desired. About 5 to 15 psi of air pressure should be more than sufficient with a hand air pump (small bicycle type is more than sufficient) periodically.
You don’t need much.
You can lead the pressurization line to just about any convenient location as you may desire with a flex line.
No electrical power requirements!
No switch mounting or wire routing!
No pump noise at all! :) :)

We’ve used similar systems in RVs since I was a kid!

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
That's a clever idea, OE.

I'm upgrading the pressure tank on our well next week; would re-use the old one if it held more than 0.6 gallons. :-P
https://www.aquascience.net/amtrol-well ... ank-wx-101
so building your own lower pressure PVC tank certainly makes more sense.

I'd suppose that you would want a 120v/12v tire inflator pump around to re-charge the air pressure when you refill the tank with water. Otherwise an air pressure driven system is good for exactly 1 tank of water, unless you keep the air pressure source separate from the water tank. An auxiliary compressed air tank / scuba tank with a regulator might be a workaround. (80 cubic feet of air in a standard scuba tank should push ~600 gallons of water)

OK... now I'm wandering well into "unnecessarily complex" territory.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Piddle and Futz

A scuba tank…. My old one (ancient days of yore :D ) was about 600 plus psi …. One heck of a shower pressure without a regulator! :D :D
Don’t think I’d need soap or shampooo :D :D :D :D :D

Not that you meant to have a single 600 gallon tank but the comic strip image of it came to mind.. :D :D :D But, yeah that’s a bit overkill :) :wink: as I’m not sure a Mac26X or Mac26M could actually hold 600 gallons and still float :D :D :D
I’d have to check……

A 6” ID pipe by about 8.17” long is roughly a gallon of water.
So if you wanted a 5 gallon tank it would be about 41” long (which fits reasonably well in under the bench fwd of the galley on a Mac26X).
One could make a tank as big or small or in as many sub-tank sections as desired to fit the available space.

Yes, the tank being filled then pressurized makes it a closed system until one chooses to depressurize, open, refill, close and repressurize.
Your idea of having a separate air reservoir is an interesting idea though as it would extend the time between air pressure pump ups.
On the RV systems we had a 25 gallon water tank that we’d fill to 24 gallons (as the tank fill port wasn’t at the top of the tank) so it left about a 1 gallon air space which at 10 psi was enough to empty the tank.

While we used a bicycle pump your idea of the 12 VDC inflator is a great idea! :) :)
(We carry one for topping off the van and trailer tires anyway so may as well put it to use. :) :) )
Once set though the quietness of the system was appreciated, especially at night when getting a drink of water and not waking everyone.

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
topcat0399
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 2-24

Post by topcat0399 »

I use a Whale Foot Pump that draws water from tanks I have under the V-berth (4 5 gallon jugs).
Works nicely and doesn't use juice, which is important to me.

Of course I had to run hosing which was a pain...and I do have to switch jugs when one runs out.
Trade offs trade offs....
-Lake Petenwell, WI
-1973 Macgregor Venture V224 (iron keel - Yea!)
-1978 Evinrude 15 Long Shaft Electric Start
Brian
Engineer
Location: Austin, TX 2006 26M "Soñador" white hull MACM0852G506 TLDI 90

Post by Brian »

You can purchase a 12V on demand faucet and pump kit for under $100.

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-009-2 ... 760&sr=8-4

I installed one of these in 2009 and its still working fine.

https://macgregorsailors.com/mods/index ... em&id=1166

The pump is installed in the bilge under the rear berth. It is fairly quiet. It emits an electric hum to let you know it's working. I think the pump is 3.0 GPM. I have noticed that my washdown pump is much louder.

It is usually best to keep things simple. I would not bother with a pressurized system unless I wanted to have multiple faucets.
2006 26M "Soñador" white hull MACM0852G506
TLDI 90
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Brian!

We agree with you about keeping thing simple which is why we’ve been delaying installation of a fresh water system actually.

We’ve been using smaller containers like those ‘Smart Water’ sport top bottles in a bin or where we have unused space.
(They are refillable if one wants to do that 😊😊)
No pumps or lines or wires.
Just open the flip top and squeeze or pour.
We can quickly pack one or two for a shore trip or bring one up to the cockpit when desired.
Lots of convience.

We’ve also used those 2 gallon pull spout types one can get at the grocery store but those aren’t refillable.
We also got a rectangular “Sun Tea” jug with a pour spout and screw on refill lid.
Both work with just gravity but are a bit bulky so the sport bottles are easier to work with for most of our needs.

The pressure system, like the bottle system , is pretty quiet 🤫 though so no waking up the boat getting a drink of water at night 🥰🥰.
It’s what works for us. 🙂🙂

We do however really like the idea of adding a wash down pump and hose system though!
Especially if we can rig it up to the bow when retrieving the anchor to somehow ‘automatically’ wash off the rode, chain and anchor when retrieving. We have a lot of ‘pluff mud’ where we are in SC and it is a mess to say the least. We were fortunate with our slip last season in that we had a hose connection that allowed us to clean things up upon returning but that’s not going to always be the case once we getting farther afield exploring the ICW. The wash down pump is definitely a great idea!

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Bobglas
First Officer

Post by Bobglas »

4 gallon Aqua.tainer from Amazon fits nicely in the 26M galley. I carry one in the forward bilge and one behind the composting head. Hooked into the pump using releaseable hose coupling, other end fits perfectly into the lid (upside down) using a reducer. Easy to switch out. Just tired of the pump thing.

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Bobglas wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:42 am Just tired of the pump thing.
That's where I was, when I installed my pressurized supply system. A foot pump would be fine, but I couldn't figure out how to wash my hands while using one of them to pump water... :( Probably should have posted to ask for instructions. :D
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo