Anchor for 26D, 14# or 22#

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
billder99
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Anchor for 26D, 14# or 22#

Post by billder99 »

Decision made, deposit paid... I'm getting a Mac 26D (Yay!). I've read all the threads here and Cruisers Forum, I read the "anchor & rode selector" info at West Marine (good stuff), and several other Expert Advice articles on anchors. I will be over all types of bottoms for short term (<1 week) anchoring... mud, sand, rock. It seems the best choice of anchor for use on all types of bottoms are the Plow-type... even better are Plows with Roll-Bars (Rocna, Mantus, Manson) at 3x the cost of standard Plow.

My question: Which one? From all I've read, and given the light weight of a Mac 26D, manufacturers say a 14# plow anchor is the correct size... except for the experts who say "buy one size up" which is a 22# plow.

Easy for them to say, they have a windlass on their boats... and probably aren't 65 years old. Assuming I am set up with correct rode (rope&chain) & scope (7:1), what say ye? Suck it up and haul away on 22#? or Save yer aging back and 14# is good enough?
pitchpolehobie
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Anchor for 26D, 14# or 22#

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Not a complete answer to your question - but the correct chain length/type is at least as impt as the anchor type. A Few of my thoughts ...

Commonly recommended= 1 ft of chain / boat length in ft. (25-30ft of chain for the 26x/s/d/m) will make all of the anchoring systems work more effectively and take less emphasis off the specific anchor you end up with. G43 is the type of chain you want. best tensile strength, lowest weight, corrosion resistance of the commonly used chains. slightly more $. However - the weight of that needs to be taken into account for your calculation as well for how much weight youll be manually pulling up. I used this chain: https://www.ebay.com/itm/191687348960

The weight of that is 0.73lb / ft x 30ft = 22lbs of chain in addition to anchor weight (I use a a Fortress FX-11).

The low weight anchors in my experience dont dig into thick vegetation well regardless of type (Mantus / fortress / danforth).

Obviously paired with a correct rope rode - I use this for light anchoring: https://www.ebay.com/itm/393171989445

This is my more serious rope: https://www.ebay.com/itm/373865964979

Having said all that -- maybe consider 2 anchors a light anchor, short chain, long rope for routine attended lunch hooks. and a heavy duty anchor w/ all 30ft of chain, heavy rope for times when youre anchoring in storm or away from boat with 0 tolerance for drag. You could patch together a pretty cheap lunch hook for <100$ and go to town on a 22lb heavy system for 350-500.
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
billder99
Deckhand

Post by billder99 »

Thanks Pitchpole: I'm up to speed on sizing and assembly of rode components (chain+rope+splice+shackle). I'm planning on the bow anchor being 22# and the stern anchor 14#, so similar to what you suggest. I'd prefer to have (2) 14# anchors @ bow & stern, just wondering what all the experienced Mac skippers here think.

I can haul up a 22#'er on a calm day, but when the water is'a buckin' and a heavin'... add 20' of 1/4" STS chain (another 20#) + 2 shackles, now I'm hauling 45#... that's alot on a platform moving in 3 dimensions... let's just say my balance is not what it was. 14# would be more safe... or maybe I just need to suck it up.
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

With about 300 nights or more on anchor from Florida to Lake Superior and many rivers. Would suggest a 1.Mantus, 2. Rocna 3. Manson Supreme (I own the Manson which we bought in 2015) Supposedly Manson does not reset as well as the Mantus or Rocna. That said we anchor with a 15 lb Mantus and have only come loose once in over 300 nights at anchor. The one time we came loose was during the late afternoon on lake Huron in a 50 mph wind in which the boat actually sailed past the anchor and pulled it over. It could not reset as the complete anchor was a ball of clay as big as the roll bar. Also the 15 lb is rated for boats larger than a Mac and that weigh more than a Mac. If I bought today it would most likely be a Mantus as they have a better reset in every test over the Manson. We have 30 feet of I think 1/4 inch galvanized chain with 150 feet of New England 3 strand nylon rope. When we know the winds are going to blow over 40 mph and we are anchored we usually will start the motor and idle on anchor watch until the storm passes. We were in one blow in which 3 other boats dragged anchor but we held idling the motor as the others dragged past us just in case we needed to move. I know 15 lbs of anchor and 30 feet of chain is all I want to haul up every few days as we move from place to place. In a emergency my wife can do it but most likely she would have to cut the rope. We do keep a small axe for cutting firewood and in an emergency to cut the anchor rope if I am incapacitated. I know a lot of folks up the size of their anchor above the stated anchoring size by the manufacturer. I figure they understate the size of boat the anchor will hold so they do not get bad press. If they say 2 ton 30 ft boat it will most likely hold a 3 ton 30 ft boat. To us it doesn't matter as we sleep deep with that 15 lb manson on the end of the anchor rode. We have only used a second anchor out the back once and we tied to shore twice. Our second anchor is a Fortress FX 11 which is 7 lbs. We have used it maybe 5 times just to test it. The rest of the time it lives under the bench seat at the table under the drop in box resting on the hull with washcloths taped on the sharp ends. Hope this helps.
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

https://macgregorsailors.com/forum/view ... 97#p149297

While the above topic is from 2009, it still has good info.

Summary for me, 10 kg Bruce up front, 5 kg Bruce aft, and Lewmar inside as a possible kedge or backup.

fair seas,
Opie
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

billder99 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:42 pm Decision made, deposit paid... I'm getting a Mac 26D (Yay!). I've read all the threads here and Cruisers Forum, I read the "anchor & rode selector" info at West Marine (good stuff), and several other Expert Advice articles on anchors. I will be over all types of bottoms for short term (<1 week) anchoring... mud, sand, rock. It seems the best choice of anchor for use on all types of bottoms are the Plow-type... even better are Plows with Roll-Bars (Rocna, Mantus, Manson) at 3x the cost of standard Plow.

My question: Which one? From all I've read, and given the light weight of a Mac 26D, manufacturers say a 14# plow anchor is the correct size... except for the experts who say "buy one size up" which is a 22# plow.

Easy for them to say, they have a windlass on their boats... and probably aren't 65 years old. Assuming I am set up with correct rode (rope&chain) & scope (7:1), what say ye? Suck it up and haul away on 22#? or Save yer aging back and 14# is good enough?
Congratulations on the purchase.

We use a 13lb Mantus and when it sets, it's not going anywhere. We did have one experience like Ris, when the anchor ripped up a huge chunk of the riverbed and dragged, but the anchor was very well set in that chunk. Wasn't an anchor problem, but a substrate problem.

22 is too heavy IMO and I wouldn't use one. I'm in good shape, I raise the mast alone manually, but I wouldn't want to be wrestling with a 22lb anchor. That time we dragged, it was everything I could do to get the anchor and chunk of riverbed up to the point where I could start clearing the anchor. 22 lbs is just the anchor weight...then you have the chain and all the seafloor that comes up with the anchor.

In a place with a good bottom, a 13 lb modern anchor is more than enough for our boats. I used to hold our 26X in wind and waves with a Mantus 2.5 lb dinghy (lunch-hook) anchor, and it set and held just fine, with a bit of chain. Now I've upgraded the lunch hook to an 8 lb Mantus, and even that isn't going anywhere once it sets.
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

Procedure to raise almost any hard-dug-in Bruce anchor:

1. In hard wind or current, position boat over anchor if possible.
2. Otherwise, pull rode until very snug and cleat off.
3. Motion of boat or just the tension in the rode will break anchor free, eventually.

Granted, 5kg Bruce is easier to raise but 10kg Bruce gives me piece of mind.

My purpose in replying and staying on topic is just to say the choice is yours in anchors. Just add up all the pluses and minuses and choose.

Opie (74 yrs)
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

A long long long time ago when water was liquid and people didn’t wear layers of sweaters and parkas in the spring of 2021….
We saw what appeared to be a cruising sailboat doing the ICW prepping for one of the storms that came through our section of SC.
They set out their anchor with a what appeared to be a 7:1 scope but they tied on a volley ball sized float to the rode at the waterline.

Does anyone else do this?
What might it be for?

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

OverEasy wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:44 am A long long long time ago when water was liquid and people didn’t wear layers of sweaters and parkas in the spring of 2021….
We saw what appeared to be a cruising sailboat doing the ICW prepping for one of the storms that came through our section of SC.
They set out their anchor with a what appeared to be a 7:1 scope but they tied on a volley ball sized float to the rode at the waterline.

Does anyone else do this?
What might it be for?

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
I think so others don't anchor over their anchor on a long scope. Also if you have to cut rode in an emergency u could have your anchor marked for recovery.
Tohatsu 25HP
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

The volleyball could be to function similarly to this.

This is what I use for anchor retrieval.

You drive over the anchor; as you pass over it and keep on going, the float is pulled down. As it descends, the bouy exerts tremendous lifting power, and pulls the anchor free.

The upward force is terrific. The circular ring on mine is now an oval. I use this system when I can’t lift the anchor.
Ray ~~_/)~~
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Does anyone have the Mantus 8lb or 13lb quick connect? Can either fit in the front locker of a 26x. I thought the 8lb could..

https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-qui ... ct-anchor/
Tohatsu 25HP
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi PitchPolePhobie and NiceAft!

Both are great ideas!
An anchor line marker and/or anchor retriever.
Maybe both?
That might be an idea….

Thanks guys!

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Ray ~~_/)~~
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Congrats to you

Ummm.... Pizza? :)
billder99
Deckhand

Post by billder99 »

Starscream wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:09 am We use a 13lb Mantus and when it sets, it's not going anywhere. We did have one experience like Ris... Wasn't an anchor problem, but a substrate problem. 22 is too heavy IMO and I wouldn't use one... a 13 lb modern anchor is more than enough for our boats. I used to hold our 26X in wind and waves with a Mantus 2.5 lb dinghy (lunch-hook) anchor, and it set and held just fine, with a bit of chain. Now I've upgraded the lunch hook to an 8 lb Mantus, and even that isn't going anywhere once it sets.
Starscream, thanks so much for your response. It's not easy to give direct, uncomplicated answers to difficult questions... you really hit the nail on the head with descriptions of your experience, and your advice... "13# modern design anchor is enough is enough for Mac26". THANK YOU!!