Is Denia (Alicante) to Ibiza possible?

An area for discussion of sailing-related topics of particular interest to Europeans
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Is Denia (Alicante) to Ibiza possible?

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Be Free!

As a kid my Dad had a mile swim and 45 minute water treading requirement before being able to take the skiff out on my own.
So I started off from the beach with Dad in the boat and me in the water and swam to the marina on the other side and back then did the water treading holding onto a good sized rock. Turns out it was two miles across in each direction, four mile total, and my brothers never treaded water with the rock! I felt slighted and sorta confronted my Dad about it when I figured it out. His reply was that when I was doing what I thought was a total of a mile and did four miles it was because I was more capable than I gave myself credit for. Ditto for the water treading. Everything is really just keeping at something until it’s done and you always have more than you think. It was a paradigm shift that never left me

The point is the nearness to land is a relative thing but being 50 miles out from land is still something I’m not quite mentally prepared for, at least not recreationally. Now if I “had to” that’s an entirely different thing somehow. :D :D Funny quirk. :D :D

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by kurz »

Killter wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:21 pm
But I never saw the rule that is forbidden to cross a water that is bigger than 12miles.

So far I crossed 2 times from Corsica to Italien main land. That is more than 60miles... But we watched that we had good forecast...
[/quote]

hi Kurz....This is a Spanish Government rule and only covers Spanish Med. A bit more info below.

http://medberths.com/2014/08/new-mariti ... sh-waters/
[/quote]

Interessanting. Nur ist seems to Go Just to boats that are registered in spain... And my M ist Swiss...

In facto they Talk about what you have to carry Like safety Things in each Zone. But do they really Talk that ist fobidden to Sail with a CE C bist in Open Waters? Thus ist mit clear for me....
Killter
Just Enlisted

Post by Killter »

As far as I undertsnad it, it is only for Spanish registered boats. And also as I understand it, it is leggally forbidden to sail a Spanish flagged boat past the zones for which it is allowed.
av8or

Post by av8or »

Killter , I havea a :macx: in Denia Spain under SSR (British) flag, if you are interested DM me
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Kilter!

Hope all goes well for you and your family in the New Year!

While the Spanish boat registration rules limit the zones and or off-shore distances one can sail we are curious if that would apply to the situation if one were to trailer your boat to different zones or to making the crossing to Ibiza via a car ferry as was alluded to previously? (by Kurz)

Given the distances involved and that at best the sailing speed is gonna be at best 6 knots (hull speed) plus any wind speed variables/sea state/tacking-back-n-forth it might be a whole lot more enjoyable to cross over to Ibiza and back on the Ferry. It would save you a lot of time, angst and fuel if that was allowed. Just thinking that if a guy had a runabout on a trailer the rules wouldn’t necessarily limit one to the region of registration…so why would a regional zone limitation apply to a MacGregor that was designed from the start to be a trailerable motor/sailer? (Note: We have regularly road traveled long distance with our Mac26X over 3000 miles over the past 2 years)

It would allow you more time to actually explore the coast, bays, coves and towns of Ibiza. Having your tow vehicle available while there opens up the opportunity to explore the inland and mountain areas too! Don’t forget the occasional grocery and shopping trips! Your tow vehicle could also allow you a storage space for things you might need that you wouldn’t necessarily want on the boat all the time. It would be a unique fantastic and wonderful trip for you and your family without the risk or hazard or sheer boredom of a long long long crossing.

The Mac26 boats are in a unique category in that they were designed as “trailer/sailers” so they are not limited to a particular mooring locale (like other boat with fixed keels which are too ungainly and too tall to actually trailer any distance). Why not take advantage of the Mac’s uniqueness and multipurpose capabilities to your advantage? (If life gives you Lemons….Make Lemonade! :) :) ) Even by Ferry it would still be a thrilling and memorable adventure for you and your family!!!

Just curious….🤔

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈