Leaf spring failure on a 26x trailer info wanted

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
Snowdancer
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Leaf spring failure on a 26x trailer info wanted

Post by Snowdancer »

My leaf spring failed on my 1998 26x trailer from a 6 inch pothole travelling less than 5 mph! I am having so much difficulty replacing it I won’t be inspecting the other for damage. Has anyone replaced one and have pertinent replacement information.
I was surprised that the 4 inch frame was sagging 2” at the center bunk from just the axle weight when the trailer was supported at the outer ends. Has anyone experienced this? Its unlikely the C channel frame has corroded from trapped water under the paint but I will hammer test it.
The 4 inch frame appears to be an additional spring and keeps the weight below the rare.
OverEasy
Admiral

Re: Leaf spring failure on a 26x trailer info wanted

Post by OverEasy »

It almost goes without saying it but “ Please be careful, “

If the leaf springs have corroded enough to fail the stock trailer frame is in all likelihood close behind.
Early Stock frames weren’t galvanized but painted.
The corrosion hides under the paint and within the interior box tubes and the round axles I’ve seen on some trailers.

When dealing with rotten or corrosion compromised metal it takes some skill to determine condition via a ‘knock’ test (except :| in the most obvious cases). If your looking for stock replacement parts contact Blue Water Yachts. They should be able to help.

Rotted trailer frames are a serious problem, not only to your boat or tow vehicle or you & your family, but more importantly to ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE ON THE HIGHWAY, ROADWAYS, AND IN THE AREAS SURROUNDING.
At the very least a disabled trailer blocks a roadway which denies emergency services the use of that roadway when needed.
Please take care and be safe.
No besmirchment of your skills but it’s always good to recognize one’s own limitations when it comes to the safety of the community.
There are professionals skilled in getting things properly evaluated and repaired, even when that evaluation says it’s time to replace.

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Be Free
Admiral

Re: Leaf spring failure on a 26x trailer info wanted

Post by Be Free »

+1 on everything OverEasy is telling you.

Trailer parts are (relatively) standard. If you take the old spring into a trailer shop they can match it. It is almost a certainty that you have other problems on the trailer if the spring broke. Plan on replacing all of the hangers, bolts, u-bolts, and possibly the axle and/or coupler.

Axles of that vintage often had a locating hole drilled in them that lined up with a small pin on the trailer. They are notorious for allowing water into the axle (rotting it out from the inside). The tongue (coupler) of that particular trailer has been known to rust out from the inside, failing catastrophically.

Please inspect it thoroughly.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me