luff line on rolly tasker mainsail & mast gate cover

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
JeffJuneau
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

luff line on rolly tasker mainsail & mast gate cover

Post by JeffJuneau »

The luff of my new Rolly Tasker mainsail, (purchased from BWY) is attached to my mast track using sliding slugs. The slugs for the upper part of the luff extending down to above the mast gate are attached to the sail using small shackles; each shackle is attached to a track slug. The lower part of the luff is set up differently. Each of the lower sail slugs are retained by a 3/16 nylon or dacron line between two shackles on the sail. It think that there are 4 of these in a row on the sail below the mast gate retained by that single line. The lower luff can be tightened by tying the line off (I guess) somewhere on the mast, which in turn, puts tension the slugs. Right now I have that line tied off tight to the reefing hook on the mast. The line isn't long enough to be what I understand to be a "cunningham". It does not extend past the boom to blocks on the deck and come into the cockpit. Though I suppose it could be set up that way. I thought this sail setup was required because I didn't have a cover on my mast gate. Right now, a sail slide has to be inserted just below the last sail slug that is above the mast gate opening. When I reef, and release tension on the mainsheet halyard, that 3/16 line goes slack, and the first reef point on the sail can be tightened down to the boom. I bought a new mast gate cover from BWY, to allow the sail slugs to move all the way to the boom when I lower the sail, or reef.
Questions: When I install the mastgate cover, should I make some change to the way the lower sail slugs are set up? Will that lower line need to be removed, and the sail slugs attached to the two shackles directly? Or does that line still have some function (i.e. changing the lower sail shape)?

I have to apologize in advance if my description is confusing, as I am still new to some sailing terms. I cant take a picture of that part of the sail right now, because were being hit with an atmospheric river storm in Juneau, and the sail is battened down on my mac in the harbor. Thanks for any advice you have for me. Jeff
PSNA
Engineer
Sailboat: Other

Re: luff line on rolly tasker mainsail & mast gate cover

Post by PSNA »

The rope you are referring to is called a "jack line".

It allows for fast reefing of the mainsail.

It shouldn't cause any issues with the hoist or shape of the sail unless it is being used incorrectly.

Just google "mainsail jack line" for more info on use.
JeffJuneau
Engineer

Post by JeffJuneau »

Thanks PSNA, I read through all of the posts associated with with search "mainsail jackline," you suggested. Some of the threads go back to 2005 before BWY was selling the mastgate cover. Overall, it sounds like the sail I have, with it's jackline, can be used with the BWY mastgate cover installed and no sail stop. You noted that that the mainsail jacklines should work fine with my setup, "unless its being used incorrectly". My new mainsail didn't come with instructions, so I have no idea if I have secured the jackline properly, and if am using it correctly. I attached the end of the jackline to the reefing hook, but perhaps it is supposed to be attached to the tack of the sail or the pin that is attached to the mast and retains the tack. I am not sure of the correct location is for attaching it. Any ideas?
wakataka
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by wakataka »

I have the same sail. I found the jackline to be unnecessary so I removed the slugs from the jackline, attached them to the sail grommets, and got rid of the jackline. It works like a normal sail now, with a few extra grommets.
JeffJuneau
Engineer

Post by JeffJuneau »

Thanks Wakataka, So to make sure I understand what you did; for each of the paired holes in the mainsheet, you cut out one of the plastic grommets, and then replace the other one with a sail slug. So each of the points have one plastic grommet and the attached sail slug, leaving the other hole empty. Then you removed the jackline. That all seems like a simple solution to me. Did you have to install new sail slugs and grommets? I don't know if they are designed to be pulled apart and reused. Oh, and do you have any problems how easy it is to reef the sail with that configuration. Again.... appreciate your help. Jeff
JeffJuneau
Engineer

Post by JeffJuneau »

Correction: I intended to say: "So to make sure I understand what you did; for each of the paired holes in the mainsail, you cut out one of the plastic grommets,...", (What I incorrectly said was: "...for each of the paired holes in the mainsheet"...). Guess I need to proof read my emails. Sorry for the confusion. Jeff
PSNA
Engineer
Sailboat: Other

Post by PSNA »

I am just guessing but the mast gate appears to be the problem.

Before mauling your sail, why not just call the company that sold you both items? Surely they can walk you through this.

It really shouldn't be that big of a deal to fit it properly.
wakataka
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by wakataka »

I believe those plastic clips can be pried open then reused to attach a slug directly to one of the two grommets at each location. I don’t remember having to buy and additional clips or slugs, but it’s been awhile and my memory is sometimes faulty these days.
LakeMac26C
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by LakeMac26C »

I also just bought the costal cruising mainsail from BWY and it had the jackline in the luff. I followed the instructions that came with it and don't see the point in the jackline at all. I've never used one before and I may end up just refitting the grommets in the luff with sail slugs as was suggested. I do not have a mast gate either. The jackline is supposed to be for easier reefing, but maybe I don't understand its operation?
JeffJuneau
Engineer

Post by JeffJuneau »

Thanks PSNA, wakataka, and Lakemac26C, I am basically following PSNA's suggestion. The folks at BWY have been out on a well deserved break from the office or I would have contacted them with this question. I have just been using the sail with the sail stop for now, until wakataka pointed out that the plastic clips can be pried apart and reconnected to each sail slug without damaging either one of them. I'll give that a try when we get a break in the rain here.
JeffJuneau
Engineer

Post by JeffJuneau »

Followup on mast gate cover and sail slugs on 26M, after everyone's helpful information. I installed the BWY mast gate cover, removed the main sail jackline and directly connected my sail slugs to the mast groove. With enough pressure, the plastic grommets were pried open, and I reused them. It is nice to no longer have the mainsail jackline getting tangled on the sailstop, and in general, It seems to be easier to operate my lower single line reefing from the cockpit now with fewer things to get tangled. I would like to add one more plastic grommet and sail slug to the luff of my main where the top of the jackline used to connect. I assume I can get these through BWY. That is my update. Jeff
LakeMac26C
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by LakeMac26C »

I ordered new sail slugs from BWY so that I could have a few extras on hand. I also do not like the jackline on the Rolly Tasker sail that I bought, but the slugs from BWY are NOT the same size! And they do not come with the clips nor could I find the clips on the BWY website. I went to WM and bought the smallest size clips, but they were still too long. The Rolly Tasker sail slugs have "Pacific Plastics" written on them. I do not know where to buy the correct sail slugs and clips, but if I remove my jackline, it sounds like I will be short a few sail slugs. My worry is that with the extra length in the BWY sail slugs and the extra length in the clips that the sail will pucker away from the mast compared to the original, shorter setup.

Anyone know where to get exact replacements?

I've attached measurements of the setup I have on my sail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JeffJuneau
Engineer

Post by JeffJuneau »

Thanks so much for posting this question LakeMac26C. I hope someone can help us with an answer, because I just assumed we could get the correct slugs from BWY too.
LordElsinore
Chief Steward

Post by LordElsinore »

Just a "me too" on this - I tried using my new sail as it came and the jack line thing just got way to annoying for me. I removed that jack line and took slugs off my older main that I was replacing and used them in its place. Much happier with it now. Maybe I was just used to the way the old sail worked, but it seemed to me that I couldn't get the right tension with that jack line, it got in the way, and needed adjusting at different reef points.
JeffJuneau
Engineer

Post by JeffJuneau »

It turns out that Pacific Nylon Plastics is owned by Rolly Tasker Sails (see the website online). They make all kinds of specialized hardware for sails and sailboats. They have an online catalog, and both the sail slug and snap on shackle styles that are on my RT sail are in their catalog. The sail slugs are identified by the diameter of the slide. There is a 9mm, 10mm and 11.5 mm. Item #s 17, 18, and 29 that look like the type of sail slug in my sail (like the style in the image provided by LakeMac26C). Not sure which one I have. I see a couple of slightly different sized snap on shackles in the catalog too, that are similar to mine. I didn't see a way to directly order from them. Rolly Tasker identifies BWY as on of 4 US distributors, so maybe we can order the identical Pacific Nylon Plastics sail slug and snap on shackles through Todd.