22 Main Sheet - I'm missing something...

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
Sundew
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 22

22 Main Sheet - I'm missing something...

Post by Sundew »

Newbie here. I have a 22' 1983 Mac. Just stepped the mast and started getting the sails rigged. I think I'm missing something for the main sheet. Does anyone have a picture or two of how the main sheet is supposed to be rigged?

I believe that the main sheet is attached to an eye strap on the port side >> fed over the front sheave of the boom block >> fed through a standup block on the starboard side >> back to the boom block and through the rear sheave >> back to a standup block on the port side and through a camcleat. Does this make sense? :?
kmclemore
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: 22 Main Sheet - I'm missing something...

Post by kmclemore »

Here's a copy of the manual for your boat. It is located in the 'Resources' section of this forum (click the 'Macgregor & Tattoo' logo above, then choose 'Resources' from the menu), if you'd like to see what else is there.

The installation of the mainsheet is described as follows:

Mainsheet:
Attach the double block to the boom end tang with the small shackle. Run the mainsheet through the swivel cam cleat block, through the forward pulley in the double block on the boom, through the pulley on the starboard rail, back through the aft pulley on the boom, and tie the end to the deck eye just aft of the swivel cam cleat.
RogerCA
Sailboat: Venture 23

Re: 22 Main Sheet - I'm missing something...

Post by RogerCA »

Here's a picture of a 23, which has the same sheeting system:

(Note that this guy has also rigged a running backstay, so don't get confused by that.)