New engine

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: New engine

Post by Russ »

I was that guy who forgot to put the red safety kill switch clip on. Of course I had an audience as I tried to start the motor and it wouldn't.

Then someone said, "What's that red thing for?" Duh. :? :o :( :)

I was surprised it would crank.
--Russ
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

My 2007 merc 75HP 4 stroke will crank just won,t fire up how do I know well the other day I cranked no start waited 5 mins cranked again no start I said to myself WTF then sat down says to myself what I,m frickin doing wrong here ! :? gawking at the pedestal & duh ! dumm dork Oh yeah why,s that red clip not clipped onto the safety switch :o :x

sh-t just seems to happen more often these days , too many people distracting me ! that's my excuse what's ur,s :D :D :D :D :P

J 8)
PS if it won't crank it,s usually in gear :|
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Highlander wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:35 pm PS if it won't crank it,s usually in gear :|
Been there done that also. Sinking feeling when turning the key and .......nothing. It was just a little bit in gear. :) :(
--Russ
wakataka
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by wakataka »

Lucky Drifter wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:40 pm Hi Russ we are getting a little bit of water into the crankcase oil giving a honey colour, dreaded corrorsion, the df50 is twenty years old so maybe its time.
My F-50 was getting water in the oil last winter. Turned out the thermostat was stuck open, causing the engine to run cool. The engine needs to get up to operating temperature in order to drive the water that condenses in the crankcase on cool nights out of the oil. If not, the condensate accumulates and the oil turns milky over time.This water is primarily from condensation inside the crankcase, so it's basically distilled water. Corrosion potential is much less than if it was saltwater leaking from the water jacket. Your problem could be a simple as a stuck thermostat.
Luke T

Post by Luke T »

I have a 26X with a 30HP Tohatsu motor. In my opinion it is perfectly, the worst possible motor for my boat. I wish I could reach back in time and talk the PO away from doing this. The motor itself is great, runs well, even has a pull start if you run out of battery power, and has never let me down. The problem is the size. It's too small to go fast, and too big to go slow. Everywhere you go is slow, and you never go full throttle because it won't make you go any faster, just makes more noise and burns more fuel. As I understand, engines like a full run every now and then to stop carbon build up and glazing. Chugging along permanently is not good for them. All you need is a 10 or 15 to get hull speed, any bigger is just weight to lug around when sailing. In my opinion, I think go big or go small, but it's a mistake to go in between. I'm going to upgrade mine as soon as I can to a 60. Hope that helps.
Stickinthemud57
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

Luke T wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:52 pm I have a 26X with a 30HP Tohatsu motor. In my opinion it is perfectly, the worst possible motor for my boat. I wish I could reach back in time and talk the PO away from doing this. The motor itself is great, runs well, even has a pull start if you run out of battery power, and has never let me down. The problem is the size. It's too small to go fast, and too big to go slow. Everywhere you go is slow, and you never go full throttle because it won't make you go any faster, just makes more noise and burns more fuel. As I understand, engines like a full run every now and then to stop carbon build up and glazing. Chugging along permanently is not good for them. All you need is a 10 or 15 to get hull speed, any bigger is just weight to lug around when sailing. In my opinion, I think go big or go small, but it's a mistake to go in between. I'm going to upgrade mine as soon as I can to a 60. Hope that helps.
I hear what you are saying, and it makes sense. A 26X or M needs more HP that that to make it do what it does, namely, plane.

I have an 8 HP Tohatsu 2-stroke that is perfect for my 26S. Starts dependably, sips gas, and has power enough to push the boat to 7 knots. I have looked at 4-stroke replacements, and they all weigh a good 20 to 25 lbs more. I can easily remove my 55-lb motor for servicing and winter storage. A 75+-lb motor would be a good deal more challenging.
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
Rhino
Just Enlisted

Post by Rhino »

I replaced my 1995 Johnson 60 with a Tohatsu 50 two years ago. I decided to stay with the specs. I thought about electric but prices hadn’t dropped enough. So far, the motor is perfect.
Lucky Drifter
Chief Steward

Post by Lucky Drifter »

Thanks everyone, still looking for an engine, thanks Luke your advice & experience is greatly appreciated, looks like its either a 15hp or a 50hp, to keep our 26X as it was designed with a 50 is probably going to be best.
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Unless fuel efficiency or weight is your primary concern you will be much happier with the larger engine.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
leefrankpierce
Engineer

Post by leefrankpierce »

120 2-stroke
Eats gas but everyone knows how to work on em.
Still moves you along even with ballast.
Dump the ballast and I get 20 mph (based on gps program for car)
26X in Dallas Fort-Worth area Texas
Slip at Eagle Mountain Lake
:macx:
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Russ wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:51 am I was that guy who forgot to put the red safety kill switch clip on. Of course I had an audience as I tried to start the motor and it wouldn't.

Then someone said, "What's that red thing for?" Duh. :? :o :( :)

I was surprised it would crank.
Several years ago I took some fellas out for a sail. A few minutes after leaving the slip, the motor shut off. Nothing I could do would start the motor, so I raised the main and headed back to the slip. I sailed NiceAft right into the slip. I dropped the sail early enough so as to glide into the slip and grab a post to stop us. The guys with me were impressed with how I never showed any concern (inside I was about to have a coronary), and superbly demonstrate sailing skills. That was the first and LAST TIME I hope to ever do that again. :(

After it was over, I discovered a red coiled cord on the sole, and that I had knocked off the kill switch. :( :D
Ray ~~_/)~~
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

NiceAft wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:49 am
Several years ago I took some fellas out for a sail. A few minutes after leaving the slip, the motor shut off. Nothing I could do would start the motor, so I raised the main and headed back to the slip. I sailed NiceAft right into the slip. I dropped the sail early enough so as to glide into the slip and grab a post to stop us. The guys with me were impressed with how I never showed any concern (inside I was about to have a coronary), and superbly demonstrate sailing skills. That was the first and LAST TIME I hope to ever do that again. :(

After it was over, I discovered a red coiled cord on the sole, and that I had knocked off the kill switch. :( :D
LOL. Good on you. Never let them see you sweat.

I've never done that. Don't want to. And my slip is around a breakwater so I'd have to do some creative tacking. But other showoffs on the other side of the marina sail into/out of their slips.

re: red cord
Had a similar event. Was trying to start the motor. Of course I had a big audience of strangers watching. Nothing. Then it came to me. The red cut off switch. Felt pretty dumb. I'm sure I'll do it again sometime.
--Russ
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Same here. After a day of sailing I found the engine was stuck in the "up" position. I ended up sailing it down a narrow canal, around a couple of overhanging tree limbs, and right up to the dock. Naturally, there was no one there to see it. :(
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Be Free wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:07 am Same here. After a day of sailing I found the engine was stuck in the "up" position. I ended up sailing it down a narrow canal, around a couple of overhanging tree limbs, and right up to the dock. Naturally, there was no one there to see it. :(
Naturally :|
--Russ
DownSouth
Chief Steward

Post by DownSouth »

I am in a similar position in Australia. Our original Honda 50hp works okay but I have never trusted 20+ year old outboards as my crew has never responded well to being potentially stranded in difficult locations...

A new 50 is a lot if money in Australia so I have been looking at smaller motors. It is very windy here sailing in coastal or large bays connected to the sea. We rarely blessed with water smooth enough to plane on and if we are it’s often in speed restricted areas.

The 9.9hp Yamaha high thrust with electric start, tilt and trim with an alternator seem like best option. They would likely push the Mac to hull speed a lot better than a standard 15-25hp as far as my knowledge and research have worked out.

DownSouth