Restore /refit of my 1988/89 26D

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Restore /refit of my 1988/89 26D

Post by OverEasy »

Yeah, I’m with ya on getting any fiberglassing done before things start to freeze up! The fast cure stuff was originally gotten for a cool weather project (40-50F) where slow cure would have taken several days (weeks? :| :wink: ) to cure out. But at 80-90F in the shade it cooked off nearly as fast as it was mixed :D !

Humidity blushing can be a problem so you are well up on the curve!👍 You are doing a great job with your project! Just wish I had a lighted pole open side barn like yours! That is really nice when working with resins as you’re not having the concentration of fumes. Down side is the dust and ambient conditions though… (Since retirement and down sizing I dearly miss the prior high 2-1/2 bay insulated garage and 1/2 basement workshop …🥺… but not all the chores that went with keeping up with all the chores associated with keeping up the attached house and property :D :D :D or the 60 hour work weeks!) A time and a place and a season for everything.

Have fun!
You’re doing great!
No doubt you’re gonna have a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment with doing and using your project!

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
kenfyoozed
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by kenfyoozed »

Got the first coat of fairing on the starboard side. Got the first coat of fairing sanded on the port side. All in 5 hrs today. Maybe this evening I can get a second coat of fairing on the port side. The curves in this area make it a slow go but getting there slowly....
kenfyoozed
First Officer

Post by kenfyoozed »

Since the last post I have applied a second coat of fairing on the port, sanded it and have applied a third coat. Starboard side was sanded as well and a second coat applied. Devil is truly in the details.....
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

Photos! We want photos! ;)
kenfyoozed
First Officer

Post by kenfyoozed »

Just typical fairing work. I am using SM Fairing compound from US Composites alone with their 635 Epoxy. Sand pretty easy, well easier than the gelcoat that was original. This is the 3rd coat on the port side. I hope to get it all sanded smooth today. I will be switching to Total Boats Toal fair soon as I am about out of epoxy. I used US composites due to their price and good reviews. Ordering isn't point and click, you have to fill out an online form with the item number you want, but overall I like their products.

Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

Coming along nicely!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
kenfyoozed
First Officer

Post by kenfyoozed »

Got some help in sanding today and somehow it still took 4hrs to get it all sanded. Not sure how that works....it must be some sort of a sanding paradox.

pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

What a job. Looks like its gonna turn out great when all done.
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
kenfyoozed
First Officer

Post by kenfyoozed »

Used a little over a gallon of Total Boat Total Fair. Not sure if I am a fan of this stuff. Super thick! Arm hurts from mixing and spreading this paste. Took me 3 hrs tp mix and spread this stuff on. I would like another option for compound but Ill start another thread to inquire about this.......

pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

What are you planning - an invasion?

Re: https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery ... ete-armor/
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
kenfyoozed
First Officer

Post by kenfyoozed »

:D i can see the resemblance, unfortunately I get to sand most of this off. Just trying to get the best shape. I am doing my best to do it properly and have it look well. Sanded the port side. My back said it was enough for today and it needed a break. Took me 20% less time to sand the one entire side so at least this new fairing compound sands easier. Im thinking one more coat in key areas before I hit it a guide coat and then start with the 17" long board and the real back breaking work :x
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

NOTE: NOT REFERING TO YOU AND THE EXCELLENT WORK YOU ARE DOING KENFYOOZED IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM
==> JUST the concreted tank armor posted by PitchPolePhobie! :D :D

Reminds me of a friend long time ago who used 6+ gallons of bondo and 4 cans of expanding foam to “restore” his Pontiac LeMans after it got got banged up slamming into a tree after High School. :D :D I swear it listed to one side because of all the filler when driving! :D :D
(I gotta give him credit though for EXCELLENT sculpting skills! He did such a remarkable job that I doubt anyone ever noticed it wasn’t original bodywork until they tried sitting in the rear seat or opened the trunk! He was a truely talented individual!👍👍

While the picture below isn’t of my friends actual car it does give one an appreciation of all the compound curves he modeled back.
He had a lot more ability and skill than I ever could have at that time! I’ve lost rack of him over the ensuing decades but I sincerely hope he got the appreciation for his talents!

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
kenfyoozed
First Officer

Post by kenfyoozed »

I hate when a delivery isn't on time, but a tool that is defective is even worse. I ordered some sandpaper for my 1/2 sheet sander and it got delayed. But the 17" sanding longboard I ordered would not clamp the paper properly. So that left out my plans to get the freshly laid fairing compound sanded smooth. So I switched gears and got the lazarette cleaned up and got a layer go gelcoat applied. It didn't come out as glossy as I had hoped but it still looks better than it did. Fresh and clean. Except a few of those darn lovebugs came out of nowhere but Im sure I can pick them out. I did a medium single coat. It probably needs another but after contorting to get under the motor well and the port side, I am not in any hurry for a second coat.... but then I have a "use window" on my gelcoat so now that I am thinking about it I guess I need to sand and add a second coat ASAP.... :x

will post pics when server is working properly....
kenfyoozed
First Officer

Post by kenfyoozed »

kenfyoozed
First Officer

Post by kenfyoozed »

So its been a little while and things are going slower than I want but doesn't it always? I sanded down the first coat of gelcoat. Washed it down with a strong dose of TSP. Then a through wipe down of Total Boat wax and grease remover, Twice. I had to leave town for work and now will only be home every other weekend so work will be even slower now, but I should be able to make it by spring, I hope. Yesterday morning I climbed in and put a 2nd and 3rd coat on everything that is on the port side. Today I cot the 2nd and 3rd coat on the starboard half as I could reach all the ares on this side from the outside of the lazarette. So now everything has several thick coats. I used a 1/2" nap roller. Added some styrene to thin the mix to hopefully allow it to flow out a little better. I did not use wax on the final coat. I plan to spray PVA over the entire thing after letting it sit for two days to cure as much as it can with the cooler temps rolling through at night. I think It came out well. Its not to the quality I wanted but then its a lazarette. You can see the tape edges and some areas when resin was haphazardly applied from the factory. Overall I would give it a 6/10 rating but a 9/10 over what I started with.