Quick Trip on Mobile Bay

This is a place to document your trips with your boat. Tell us about your journeys. Share your experiences. Post your pictures.
kenfyoozed
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Re: Quick Trip on Mobile Bay

Post by kenfyoozed »

Very slow, working out of town right now so Im only home 4 days a month. Last time I was home it rained the whole time. I don't like to use any of the resins while raining even though I am working under a cover. Im close to being finished with the initial fairing on the deck hull joint. Then time to start chasing all those spider cracks.
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

kenfyoozed wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:36 am Very slow, working out of town right now so Im only home 4 days a month. Last time I was home it rained the whole time. I don't like to use any of the resins while raining even though I am working under a cover. Im close to being finished with the initial fairing on the deck hull joint. Then time to start chasing all those spider cracks.
Tough to get stuff done when you've only got 4 days per month at home. Maybe the weather will improve soon and you can get back on it. Thanks for the update.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Bennkat81
Just Enlisted

Post by Bennkat81 »

Hey Jimmy I sail out of dog river also. Boat is stored at Alba Club. Just recently purchased 2008 26m. Had sails up first time 10/22/22.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Bennkat81 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:22 pm Hey Jimmy I sail out of dog river also. Boat is stored at Alba Club. Just recently purchased 2008 26m. Had sails up first time 10/22/22.
My buddy with the Potter 19 lives across the river from the Alba Club. That's a nice spot to have your boat. Hope to see you on the water sometime. We are a rare breed in this area.

Have you been getting out much? Since I trailer every time, I wait for days like Friday if I can. I like 10-15kts, prefer not over 20kts, but will go if needed (kid in town and wants to go, etc). Also, I have friends with boats. So I've been sailing more on other boats than my own for the last year. After I got my keel buddies out on my boat, they've been happy to go with me. Actually, they are like me. Give us a washtub, a tarp, and a pool cue, and we'll go sailing in it - at least once. :wink:

How do you like your Mac? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. What is your sailing background?

Welcome to the forum!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Bennkat81
Just Enlisted

Post by Bennkat81 »

Not a lot of sailig. Started with catalina 22 in 2014. Sailed it went to a couple of races. Sold it and got 26X got took on that deal didnot know what to look for. The boat had been rewired with alarm wire. It did have Billy box ac, tv , shore power, battery charger and converter DC to AC, custom built galley gas and electric stove top. So many issues with hull, motor and steering. I decided to let it go and not sail anymore. Then came across the 26m, back to sailing again 3 years later! I like the 26m but prefer the 26X interior layout and larger cockpit.
First time out with sails up I took my sister and her grandson from Oklahoma. Keaton is now hooked on sailing. The wind was just right about 10 knots seas smooth. Perfect for a newbie. I also work out of town but will be on vacation 11/17 to 12/28 hoping to get some sailing in. ⛵️
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Had to use the industrial buffer, but it did the trick. :D Actually, dabbed a bit of marine Tex on it. :wink: Not a perfect color match, leaving the rudders a bit blotchy. But, it will get me back on the water.

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

That looks great. I can't see any sign of damage.
--Russ
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Russ wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:44 am That looks great. I can't see any sign of damage.
Thanks, Russ!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Be Free »

Good work. Looks great!
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Be Free wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:53 am Good work. Looks great!
Thanks, Bill! As my daddy used to say, "even a blind hog finds an acorn once in awhile".

How'd the storm treat you? Everything ok?
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Haven't been able to get my boat out in awhile. I finished my radiation treatments, but have about 3 months of androgen deprivation therapy left. Having some odd muscle/joint issues that make trailer sailing the Mac a bit of a challenge.

But, no worries, as I have friends with boats who love to sail. Got a call from my buddy Charley this morning, asking if I wanted to go sailing. We took Fish 1 out of the Bucaneer harbor around 10:45. The almost imperceptible 2 knots of breeze eventually turned into a rather sporty 11 gusting into the upper teens. We got in the lee of Gaillard island to have a short run without the fairly significant chop that was building. Running 6.9 knots in calm water makes for pretty sweet sailing. Maybe the lake sailers get this all the time, but we have to look hard for a spot to get wind and calm water at the same time. Beautiful weather to be outside doing almost anything - especially sailing. Big following seas running back to the harbor with all the wind we could ask for. Made for quite the ride.

If we had been racing, I'm sure Charley would have brought down the gaff and gotten the wrinkles out of the main. But, we were joy riding... 8)

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Looks like a great day out Jimmy. *envious*

Sorry to hear about your health challenges. Fair winds.
--Russ
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Russ wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:48 pm Looks like a great day out Jimmy. *envious*

Sorry to hear about your health challenges. Fair winds.
Thanks Russ. Glad that I don't have anything worse than aches and pains at this point. Won't know what the future looks like until sometime around August. But, nothing too serious either way, as far as I can tell other than the amount of medication and tinkering they're going to subject me to.

My biggest problem seems to be too many doctors. My dermatologist won't let me get in the sun. When you have to stay out of the sun in an open boat, the hazing from your buddies quickly takes your mind off your worries. Lots of pirate and terrorist wise cracks... :D

From my last fish boat trip - but typical fish boat fashion statement; no matter how hot it gets. Sure miss the Bimini on my Mac, but mighty glad to be out sailing. 8)

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Looks like you are ready to rob a bank. 8) :wink:

A little hazing is worth getting out sailing. Good on you for doing the right thing protecting your skin.
--Russ
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Be Free »

Glad to hear you are doing well and are able to get out on the water. My prayers are for continued improvement and full recovery.

I know what you mean about good wind and smooth water. I don't see it very often here either. My part of the gulf gets pretty lumpy once the wind comes up. There is a very small window when the water and the wind are both enjoyable.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me