Genoa only sailing

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Herschel
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Genoa only sailing

Post by Herschel »

pitchpolehobie wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:24 am :macx: :macx: I have sailed quite a bit with just my roller furled 150 Genoa and no main. Typicaiy on lazy days when I just want to move and don't care so much about speed (usually BC I have to be on the phone for work). Just with a guess ID say I get about 75% of typical speed with just the one sail. As far as pointing and sailing to weather maybe I lose a few degrees. The boat is still very maneuverable with any real wind.

I use the quick release https://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/4306-1v0.htm
For my genoa sheets mounted in the cockpit rails. They're recommended for light to modrate wind and Ive used them without issue up to 20knots.

So in summary, I like it, simplifies sailing, give it a shot. I think you'll love using the boat that way. You wont heel as much so its harder to spill your drink..
Question: Do you mount these forward or aft of the Genoa track block? I was thinking putting them forward would give you a little more mechanical advantage. Right?
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I have the Boats by Bill version, they look identical. I have mine mounted aft of the blocks. They work quite well.

I would think that a block being behind would contribute to the Genoa sheet being inadvertently lifted as one pulls the sheet, also it may be more difficult to pull down and lock the sheet in the camcleat.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

NiceAft wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:14 pm I have the Boats by Bill version, they look identical. I have mine mounted aft of the blocks. They work quite well.

I would think that a block being behind would contribute to the Genoa sheet being inadvertently lifted as one pulls the sheet, also it may be more difficult to pull down and lock the sheet in the camcleat.
Roger that. Just thought I would ask. In uncharted waters here. :)
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

I bought this used Drifter on E-Bay down in Florida for $330.00 in mint condition I,m thinkin of maybe getting a pocket sewed into the luff then run it off my CDI Spinnaker furler, Luff 28.6 ft x Foot 18ft x Leach 25.6ft 3/4oz cloth this is a totally flat cut Drifter just like ur Genoa & it,s approx 198%
Now if I get pocket sewn into this drifter I could basically use it as a code zero if u have just hank on sails us can just use this on it,s own by using ur mainsail halyard :wink: this should give u lots of Ump ! :D

J 8)
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Does someone have a pic of how you run the Genoa jib sheet to the block on the Genoa track? Does it go outside of everything, or do you run outside of all shrouds and through the stanchion set/loop at forward end of cockpit?
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I don’t have an :macx: so I’m replying solely from my use.

I would not use the stanchion set/loop. I just don’t believe the angle of the sheet to the Genoa block is a good one, but then again, I don’t know where your Genoa track is on an :macx: .
Ray ~~_/)~~
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

NiceAft wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:29 am I don’t have an :macx: so I’m replying solely from my use.

I would not use the stanchion set/loop. I just don’t believe the angle of the sheet to the Genoa block is a good one, but then again, I don’t know where your Genoa track is on an :macx: .
On the cockpit coaming.

NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

I just run it outside of everything.
Ray ~~_/)~~
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

NiceAft wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:22 am I just run it outside of everything.
Roger that. 8)
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Ditto 8)
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

Well, folks, the Admiral and I finally got out on the water to check out Genoa sailing. The Genoa track cam cleat was a great tool that made trimming the sail easy. I kept the boom rigged with the boomkicker and boom crutch in place with the main sheet pretty taut. That way I could use the boom as a railing to hold onto as I moved about the cabin top. I was very pleased with how the boat handled. Easy tacking in winds of 8-14 knots. Good speed---3-5 knots. The Admiral was pleased with the mild angle of heel in those winds when tacking upwind, as well. I had to chuckle once, however. I needed to make a head run, so I asked the Admiral to take the helm during a period of light wind and hold a 100-110 course direction. I'm down in the head, and I hear her laughing as the boat seems to be turning a tad. I'm in the head remembering I haven't actually taught her much about steering a compass course. She prefers to have a thing on the shore to steer by. I arrived on deck eventually to find the Genoa taking us on its own preferred course, sort of like a horse that you aren't really controlling anymore. I took the wheel and gained control and resumed my course. 8) We both had a good laugh about it. She claimed whichever way she turned the wheel the "numbers just kept falling"! :o

I have to say, my trips to the head have been problematic a couple of times recently. On an RV trip with travel trailer this summer, we stopped in Deming, NM, and enjoyed a nice steak dinner at a local country steakhouse located on open range land that appear to cater to hunters. Food and drink were outstanding especially for a tired traveler. Adobe Flats if you are ever in the area. Finished a gigantic ribeye and went to the head. Halfway through the trip to the urinal, the brown "deodorant cake" sprouted 8 hairy legs and turned out to be a crawling tarantula. :| :o

pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

Glad Genoa only sailing worked out! I really enjoy it. Currently in OH with the boat out of the water...I'd take any type of sailing I could get.
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

pitchpolehobie wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:15 am Glad Genoa only sailing worked out! I really enjoy it. Currently in OH with the boat out of the water...I'd take any type of sailing I could get.
This is a follow-up after three Genoa only sailing experiences in moderate winds of 8-12 knots on a roughly circular inland lake. A quick background reflection. I keep my boat in a Central Florida marina. I took off my mainsail because bats kept trying to use the covered mainsail as a nesting place dropping their scat on the sail and on the deck. My basic "working" jib had been torn slightly by hurricane Ian/Nicole and had to be taken down and sent to Doyle for repairs, so the Genoa that that been stowed away for 15 years was bent on. The bare boom was reinstalled with its Boomkicker in place and the main halyard attached to the end of the boom. Now for the follow-up report: (1) The bats were a blessing in disguise. :o (2) The Genoa provides all the sail power the Admiral and I need for our day sails on our lake. Yesterday we logged over 5 mph on a broad reach in 12ish knots of wind. 3-4 mph boat speed is common. (3) We typically heel between 5-10 degrees, only once going past that briefly. (4) Underway reefing is very simple and quick, as is "shaking out" the reef. (5) the boom makes an excellent "handrail" for "septuagenarian traffic" on the cabin top! :wink: So, I am not planning on bending on the main anytime soon. And the bats seem to have moved on to darker places! 8)
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Ditto 8)
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Herschel wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:06 pmI have to say, my trips to the head have been problematic a couple of times recently.

Halfway through the trip to the urinal, the brown "deodorant cake" sprouted 8 hairy legs and turned out to be a crawling tarantula. :| :o

--Russ