NOAA Coast Pilots

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Be Free
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

NOAA Coast Pilots

Post by Be Free »

On another thread I recommended the use of the Coast Pilot to find information regarding a bridge opening. I thought it would be useful to post information about these excellent resources for future reference.

If you are a coastal or Great Lakes sailor I strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with the Pilot(s) that cover your "stomping grounds". They contain a wealth of information that you should know about. I keep a PDF copy on my boat computer of the one(s) that cover any area I plan to visit.

Quoting from the NOAA website:

"The United States Coast Pilot® consists of a series of nautical books that cover a variety of information important to navigators of coastal and intracoastal waters and the Great Lakes. Issued in ten volumes, they contain supplemental information that is difficult to portray on a nautical chart."

"Topics in the Coast Pilot include channel descriptions, anchorages, bridge and cable clearances, currents, tide and water levels, prominent features, pilotage, towage, weather, ice conditions, wharf descriptions, dangers, routes, traffic separation schemes, small-craft facilities, and Federal regulations applicable to navigation."

The Coast Pilots are free to download and are updated weekly. You can get them at: https://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/publica ... ast-pilot/
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me