Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Removable wine glass holder

Post by Stickinthemud57 »

Russ wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:13 am
Stickinthemud57 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:56 pm Image
Nice.

Where are you planning on mounting it?
Places like this (please excuse the mess), or anywhere else it might be handy. I might play around with making a mounting face that will clamp to a stanchion or other non-flat surface.

Here's the drink can version

Thingiverse link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6382581
The key to inner peace is to admit you have a problem and leave it at that.
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Winter Projects 2023-2024 -- Post Yours

Post by Russ »

What is clever about that holder is that it is removable.
--Russ
Stickinthemud57
Captain

I agree. Keeps them out of the way when they are not needed or are in the way.

BTW, that location in the photo is one that I don't use when underway as sheets and lines tend to tangle with drink holders when mounted there. Those mounted further back in the cockpit aren't as prone to that.

I would add that the dovetail fitting makes it easy to assemble, and if one part breaks you don't have to reprint the whole thing (unless you have glued the parts together of course).
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

This is one more reason I need to ask Santa for a 3d printer.

I'm surprised nobody has made these commercially. I've seen all kinds of drink holders, none like this.

At this point, I just gave in and decided traditional wine glasses won't work in the cockpit and use these hideous things with standard drink holders.

--Russ
Stickinthemud57
Captain

Well, maybe I need to open a shop on Etsy, hmm?

Something that drives product design is the means to reproduce items in mass quantities quickly and cheaply. I don't think this design lends itself well to injection molding, and even if the two sections could be molded, they would have to be assembled, adding to the cost. Add to that the fact that it's a bit of a niche market and that many boaters are averse to the idea of drilling a screw into any surface and that creates a marketing challenge.

3D printers have gotten amazingly affordable. Mine is the Ender 3 V3 SE, available new at Creality.com for $190. Very little assembly, and the self-leveling feature makes it very easy to use. I have been cranking out dozens of fun and practical projects in month or so since I got mine.

I will warn you, though, 3D design and printing is time-consuming and downright addictive. It is also tons of fun and can be very useful. For instance a bracket on our dishwasher handle broke, creating an annoying situation in need of repair. I was able to design and print a replacement, much to The Admiral's delight. She is, of course, also pleased with the wine glass holder. So, if you get one, be sure to sprinkle in the occasional home improvement project.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

I use these great on the patio & boat & dock , I bought mine at wally mart $2 each , u can buy them in stainless steel also

Also these double up as coffee mugs , wine & beer coolers

for keeping my beer cold these r great while walking around the docks & marinas

J 8)
mac n cheese
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by mac n cheese »

While on the topic of beverage holders I think found a perfect removeable one for the cockpit or cabin. Intended for use on
bed railings, arm rests, trolleys, rollators, wheelchairs or walkers...yeah...everything but boats but I find it ideal on the binnacle.

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Stroller- ... 285&sr=8-6

C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

mac n cheese wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:16 pm While on the topic of beverage holders I think found a perfect removeable one for the cockpit or cabin. Intended for use on
bed railings, arm rests, trolleys, rollators, wheelchairs or walkers...yeah...everything but boats but I find it ideal on the binnacle.

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Stroller- ... 285&sr=8-6

Those are nice, but do they hold a wine glass?

Jeff
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Ok, winter spring projects almost done.

1) added two more light fixtures, an easy process of parallelling the hot wire of the existing lights and running wire behind the headliner. All lights are LED so I'm not worried about amps. This add made a huuuuuuuge difference to night-time liveability. Highly recommend. https://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/8201-1v0.htm. There are cheaper ones on Amazon, but these fit almost perfectly on the X headliner.

2) Added a 300W inverter and a 24" Insignia FireTV. Planning to spend more time at the boat at the marina this year, so having the bigger screen will be nice, instead of laptops or tablets. I mounted the inverter under the aft dinette seat behind the cooler tub on the head wall using rivnuts, and wired a dedicated 25A on/off switch and 30A fuse. I bought a 6$ Amazon extension cord, cut it, and wired it from the inverter face to a surface-mount electrical box with a regular plug so that normal things can be plugged in on battery power without having to run the cord down to the inverter. This allowed me to mount our rechargeable hand-held vaccum cleaner in the head and plug in the 120V charger for it, meaning that if its batteries get low we can recharge while we are out somewhere. Love the vacuum.

3) Added the Raymarine AIS700 and wired it into the SeatalkNG backbone. Looks functional, but time will tell.

4) Bought an Ozone generator off of Amazon to combat the mold. Early spring temperatures and good tarping caused a mold bloom inside the boat and sprays/wiping is a losing battle. Ran the generator for over an hour and the whole boat smells like ozone. Then a wipedown, and my special home-brew concrobium anti-mold spray into the bilges. Ozone generators get mixed reviews on the internet, with a major criticism being that they may not produce enough concentration to actually kill mold. Well, my thought process is that they're talking about concentration in a building living space, the smallest of which is likely around 1,000 cu.ft., so I figured if I ran it in the closed bilge for an hour in around 100 cu.ft. of space, it should do a decent job. It should also help with the hidden spiders.
Stickinthemud57
Captain

Projects I managed to complete:

-Dousing sock for my drifter
-3D printed sheet guides
-3D printed boat hook holders
-3D printed wine glass holders
-3D printed can holders

As I type I am printing parts for a folding can holder with a modular design that will accommodate different container heights, circumfrences, and even shapes. Pic to come.
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

C Buchs wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:54 pm My list this year includes:
1. New 12V cooler. I bought the Mossimo one from Costco, but it died after 3 years. I'd like the Dometic, but $$
2. New standing rigging. I'm pretty sure mine is original. It looks OK, but ...
3. New lifelines. The plastic coating is all cracked.

Not too much this year :D

Jeff
1. Done. I got the Dometic CFX3-45 from West Marine. They sent out one of those $100 off emails and I pulled the trigger. Total cost was about $750.
2. I purchased the parts, but I haven't started this one yet.
3. The new lifelines look great. I had BWY make them with pelican hooks on all four of them. Taking them loose in the cockpit is a requirement in my opinion. I also like the option to take them off in the front. Getting on and off the front is easier with them out of the way.
4. New foam for the cockpit cushions. We got new covers 3-4 years ago, but we reused the original foam. It was crumbling, so I've ordered new foam that should be delivered this week.

Jeff
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Wow!!!
Y’all been BUSY! :o 8) :D
Ah gotta get busy myself!!!

Minimum List:
—> New bottom paint ✅ Done
—> Make aft support frame to hold boat hull up off of trailer bunks ✅ Done
—> Remove/inspect/replace keel hinge bracket & pin
—> Remove/inspect/replace keel lift line with Dynema and add traveling pulley system to reduce the required lift force by half
—> Annual engine service — water pump, anodes, oil & fuel filters, upper & lower oil changes ✅ Done
—> Wax hull ✅ Done ( not happy with it :| )
—> Shore power exterior connect and separate interior 115 VAC power panel — covered marine deck connector, two VAC circuit breakers, GFI outlets, galvanic isolation, plug-in overboard galvanic anode
—> Clean-up, Clean-up, Clean-up

Best Regards,
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈