Mac 25 Trailer drawings or specs?

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
AlanButler
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Mac 25 Trailer drawings or specs?

Post by AlanButler »

My trailer was stolen so I need to find or have built a new ine for my 25. Any information, measurements etc will be very much appreciated. Search only returns results for the 26 not the 25.
Wyb2
Engineer

Re: Mac 25 Trailer drawings or specs?

Post by Wyb2 »

They were welded up out of 3”x1.5” C channel with a 3”x3” square tube tongue. I don’t know the measurements off hand, but could take some basic ones of mine.

But my guess is the cheapest and easiest route will be to buy a standard boat trailer and fabricate some bolt-on bunk supports and a keel support to fit the 25. I would take the opportunity to go for a tandem axle, as I think the original boat/trailer combo is slightly overweight for the single 3500 axle they used.

Well actually easiest would obviously just be to buy a used 25 trailer, but guessing finding one might be an issue.
AlanButler

Post by AlanButler »

Thanks! Measurements would be great. It was stolen from a storage facility which will pay for the replacement.
Wyb2
Engineer

Post by Wyb2 »

Here are quick measurements of mine:

The trailer is about 21’ L x 6’ W. The V block is about 21” back from the ball hitch and 16” up from the frame. The axle is about 88” (not sure how these are measured, that’s roughly tire center to center). The bunks are about 32” apart and rise from 4” up to about 6” up from front to rear, and the bunk supports are 90” apart front to back. The V for the keel to sit in drops about 13” from the frame rails.
4knsb

Post by 4knsb »

I'm curious. Does this trailer look a bit short for a 25?
Wyb2
Engineer

Post by Wyb2 »

That’s the original trailer. They do look short, but that’s the design. The keel should be lowered into its cradle, which reduces the weight on the back of the bunks.

I do wish it was a little longer because at some point I’d like to convert it to tandem axles, and I’m not sure there is enough frame to mount the rear most spring hanger. Plus right now I can’t leave the outboard, fuel tank, and rudder all attached for trailering, the tongue weight gets too light, so I’d prefer to move the axle center back even further.
4knsb

Post by 4knsb »

Thanks. You're absolutely right on the tongue weight. Anything extra behind the axle would be foolish.

I appreciate your response.