macgregor 26X Bent Mast

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
macsailor2024
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

macgregor 26X Bent Mast

Post by macsailor2024 »

Hi all,
In a storm last fall, my starboard spreader broke, and the port spreader was still connected. My roller furler/jib was swinging free and since there was no tension on the starboard side, the swinging jib bent the mast at the point where the spreaders are connected, leaning portside around 10-15 degrees.
I wanted to straighten it once off the boat by hanging counterbalanced weights on the top end of the mast. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked. It's the opinion of fellow sailors here on the island that I need to get a new mast, but I'm at a loss as to where to go to find another one. I have unsuccessfully tried the marine graveyard, and for craiglist for sale sites in the area.
Blue Water Yachts will order them but it's just a long tube that has to be slotted for the main and all the holes drilled; and it's expensive, to say the least.
Any Ideas?
By the way, and this might sound goofy, so forgive me... I can get my hands on a Mac 19 with a great mast, furler, and rigging for free. Even though the mast is 23' 8" compared to the Mac X 28' mast, could it still be used? My logic is this: In the south end of Puget Sound, nine days out of ten there is virtually no wind. We motor everywhere, so not being able to gather as much wind with the smaller sails, as the normal Mac 26X won't win any races, it really doesn't matter, as long as I can hoist a main and release the jib! Thoughts? (be kind).

Thanks
Macsailor
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: macgregor 26X Bent Mast

Post by Russ »

Some thread topics. I think somewhere I read a Hobie mast will fit.

viewtopic.php?t=26793

viewtopic.php?t=25532

viewtopic.php?t=18602
--Russ
leefrankpierce
Engineer

Post by leefrankpierce »

macsailor2024 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:37 pm Hi all,
In a storm last fall, my starboard spreader broke, and the port spreader was still connected. My roller furler/jib was swinging free and since there was no tension on the starboard side, the swinging jib bent the mast at the point where the spreaders are connected, leaning portside around 10-15 degrees.
I wanted to straighten it once off the boat by hanging counterbalanced weights on the top end of the mast. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked. It's the opinion of fellow sailors here on the island that I need to get a new mast, but I'm at a loss as to where to go to find another one. I have unsuccessfully tried the marine graveyard, and for craiglist for sale sites in the area.
Blue Water Yachts will order them but it's just a long tube that has to be slotted for the main and all the holes drilled; and it's expensive, to say the least.
Any Ideas?
By the way, and this might sound goofy, so forgive me... I can get my hands on a Mac 19 with a great mast, furler, and rigging for free. Even though the mast is 23' 8" compared to the Mac X 28' mast, could it still be used? My logic is this: In the south end of Puget Sound, nine days out of ten there is virtually no wind. We motor everywhere, so not being able to gather as much wind with the smaller sails, as the normal Mac 26X won't win any races, it really doesn't matter, as long as I can hoist a main and release the jib! Thoughts? (be kind).

Thanks
Macsailor
I would jump on a free mast and not worry about the loss of a few feet. For what we are, we tend to be overpowered anyway.
It is just a pole in the air that holds a sheet of cloth. If you decide to keep the rig and get custom sails, I have found custom ones to be about the same cost as the pre-made sails. The only real comment I have is that you might have to make custom stays. Given the way our rigging is setup, it should be easy to shorten the 26X rigging if needed. As far as the foresail, you can move the mounting point higher up and get the same overall height as the regular setup. I find a main sail is useful to balance the wind pressure on the boat. You might be able to run the 26X mainsail reefed, or get one for the Mac 19.

You might consider just running a giant genoa. Lots of people do not even run a mainsail but a giant genoa that sheets to the rear of the boat. That way you do not even have a boom. Any height above where the forestay mounts is wasted in that situation and you would never notice the shorter mast.
Check out the following:
https://macgregorsailors.com/forum/view ... hp?t=29331
26X in Dallas Fort-Worth area Texas
Slip at Eagle Mountain Lake
:macx:
macsailor2024

Post by macsailor2024 »

Guys,
Thanks for the quick feedback! It gives me a couple of options that will, I think, fit the bill! Glad I joined the forum!
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Get the shorter mast/boom/sails and run without ever looking back! :D :D
You’ll have a blast and enjoy the sailing!

The Mac19 masts sometimes have a secret feature that I’d like our Mac26X to have… a two piece interior-able stowing capability!
No more having to leave the mast out when not on the water or when trailering!

Best Regards,
Over Easy 8) 8)