Stock 08’ 26M Forestay Length?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Shane anthony
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Stock 08’ 26M Forestay Length?

Post by Shane anthony »

Hi everyone, still going through the standing ringing and looking again at the cables. Now that I’ve figured out what I’m looking at I see the PO had replaced all the rigging with 5/32 and it looks new. I’m going to raise the mast for the first time to check things out and wanted to make sure before hand that my forestay is the correct length. I’ve removed it to inspect it and it measures at 133”. The PO had a couple quick links hooked to the forestay telling me maybe it was short or something else might have been changed. But forestay length would be easy information to start with . I have a turnbuckle with a 1” U bracket connected to the furler. Thanks
Russ
Admiral

Re: Stock 08’ 26M Forestay Length?

Post by Russ »

I can't get to my boat and I wouldn't trust my measuring anyway.

I would call Blue Water Yachts and ask. Very friendly folks and probably the source of that forestay to begin with. Phone: (206) 282-4261
--Russ
Shane anthony
Deckhand

Post by Shane anthony »

Russ wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:03 pm I can't get to my boat and I wouldn't trust my measuring anyway.

I would call Blue Water Yachts and ask. Very friendly folks and probably the source of that forestay to begin with. Phone: (206) 282-4261
Thanks! That was the first thing I did but got impatient waiting for a callback.
Shane anthony
Deckhand

Post by Shane anthony »

Just talked to BWY and got a Forestay measurement from them for a Forestay with CDI furler on a 08’ 26m should be 26’4” and mine is 26’ even. So I’ll order a new 5/32 of the correct length and install a cut down version of the old one for redundancy.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Shane anthony wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:56 pm Just talked to BWY and got a Forestay measurement from them for a Forestay with CDI furler on a 08’ 26m should be 26’4” and mine is 26’ even. So I’ll order a new 5/32 of the correct length and install a cut down version of the old one for redundancy.
Good information. Thanks for posting an update. Others might need to know.
Is there a difference in years? I think later Ms had rotating mast and earlier versions not. Not sure about that.

I ordered a mast hound from BWY and mounted it Above the existing one. I then ran a line from it to the bow pulpit for a "safety" forestay.
--Russ
Shane anthony
Deckhand

Post by Shane anthony »

Russ wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:56 pm
Shane anthony wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:56 pm Just talked to BWY and got a Forestay measurement from them for a Forestay with CDI furler on a 08’ 26m should be 26’4” and mine is 26’ even. So I’ll order a new 5/32 of the correct length and install a cut down version of the old one for redundancy.
Good information. Thanks for posting an update. Others might need to know.
Is there a difference in years? I think later Ms had rotating mast and earlier versions not. Not sure about that.

I ordered a mast hound from BWY and mounted it Above the existing one. I then ran a line from it to the bow pulpit for a "safety" forestay.
I couldn’t find that measurement so I definitely wanted to post it. My 08’ has the rotating mast, I’m replacing the worn out mast base bearing upgrade with the 3 bronze washers from BWY. Thanks for your post about mounting the mast hound above the original one for your safety forestay. Take care
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

BWY has a thrust bearing replacement for the bronze washers at the base. Mine have been in place now for 10 years and surprisingly are still in good condition. It made a big difference. Also, not overtighting the bolt is key.

I have the standard forestay. I did replace it once because the strands at the top were frayed from fatigue. I may upgrade to the stronger one like you did.
--Russ