New Mac 26 Roller Furling for Main

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
smartcubic
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: New Mac 26 Roller Furling for Main

Post by smartcubic »

Jimmyt wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:29 am
DownSouth wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:59 pm rolled up and ready for bed.....
Very cool!

Thanks for the pic!
i'm newbie here. I saw your roller furling mainsail and thought it was an improvement over mine. I've seen the drawings of the brackets that connect the mast and roller furling mainsail you drew. My product is wired from the mast to the bent tube that connects to the boom. I tried talking to the builder of this product, but I don't live in the US so I can't get his help. I guess I'll have to look at your system and modify it myself. I want to know how the red parts of the picture are connected.

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

smartcubic wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:46 am [quote=Jimmyt post_id=341961 time=<a href="tel:1588681782">1588681782</a> user_id=16979]
[quote=DownSouth post_id=341960 time=<a href="tel:1588654796">1588654796</a> user_id=17988]
rolled up and ready for bed.....
Very cool!

Thanks for the pic!
[/quote]

i'm newbie here. I saw your roller furling mainsail and thought it was an improvement over mine. I've seen the drawings of the brackets that connect the mast and roller furling mainsail you drew. My product is wired from the mast to the bent tube that connects to the boom. I tried talking to the builder of this product, but I don't live in the US so I can't get his help. I guess I'll have to look at your system and modify it myself. I want to know how the red parts of the picture are connected.

[/quote]

Thank you for posting this! Welcome to the forum!

Yep, you have a couple of problems there that need to be addressed. But, I think we should be able to get you going.

The front bracket is missing. I don't believe you can make it work the way it's rigged, due to the tension required in the center cable - which serves as the rotation axis for the furling drum. You could fabricate a bracket that mounted to the mast that might work ok, but it has to be better than what you currently have.

You may need to get the sail off the drum so you can photograph the drum and we can see if anything else is missing. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

There is a tensioning line inside of the boom that allows you to tension the cable. It has two blocks in the boom to give you a mechanical advantage when tensioning. Mine was not rigged properly when I got it, so I had to take the curved tube out of the back of the boom and correct it.

I'll post the pictures I have and we can start working through it.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Notice that the front drum bushing is riding on the pin through the bracket. The pin is connected to the cable inside the furling drum. That cable is pulled tight so that the back end of the drum can rotate on the tight cable while maintaining the drum alignment with the curved tube at the back of the boom.

This photo shows the mast configuration with the bolt rope pre-feeder and slot feeder in relation to the boom attachment.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

I'll have to wait until tonight to get pics of the tensioning line arrangement. I had cancer surgery last Friday, so the Admiral has forbidden me to climb ladders or get on my boat if she's not here (or probably even if she is here :| but maybe she can take the pics when she gets home from work...).
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Here's the front bracket info.

Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
smartcubic

Post by smartcubic »

Jimmyt wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:56 am I'll have to wait until tonight to get pics of the tensioning line arrangement. I had cancer surgery last Friday, so the Admiral has forbidden me to climb ladders or get on my boat if she's not here (or probably even if she is here :| but maybe she can take the pics when she gets home from work...).
I also don't have access to my boat right now. It's a business trip itinerary until the middle of next week.
smartcubic

Post by smartcubic »

Jimmyt wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:03 am Here's the front bracket info.

I saw this information and contacted you. This is really useful information. Thank you for providing this information.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

The line on the boom, just forward of the main sheet connection, is for tensioning the cable that runs through the mandrel that the sail rolls on. There are two blocks in the boom, the forward block is anchored to the bolt at the mainsheet connection; and the second block is attached to the end of the cable. And, yes, it is a pain to rig.

Ignore the extraneous lines on/near the furling drum - other than the furling line. One of my wind whispering buddies had rigged an outhaul on that trip. He brings a bucket of small lines to fine tune the rig to get every last drop out of it.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Resurrecting an older thread on the topic, due to a recent inquiry.
Quick ping to find out if you still have the main roller furler. I have just discovered that not mentioned before the purchase of my recently bought MacM has the Inman, and it is broken, missing parts etc. It has a new main, cut to fit and I REALLY do not want to spend the extra money to get a new main, boom, and all hardware just to get in the water. I have scoured the internet, and your posting from a couple of years ago is the closest I have come to anyone that even knows what it is, let alone some pictures. Any chance you can help guide me with what is missing if I send some pictures over ?
There are several pics in this thread, showing the Furler. Post some pics of your Furler and we'll try to help you get it sorted.

Also, check this current thread, which is more about rigging, but still pertinent....
https://macgregorsailors.com/forum/view ... 25#p360725

Depending on what you have, the Inmon Furler was a mod to a stock boom. You may be able to use the sail you have on a stock configuration of the boom - if you don't feel up to fabricating the missing parts... We'll just have to see what you have to work with.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo