Macgregor 65/70 Discussion

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
User avatar
Highlander
Admiral
Posts: 5987
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:25 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '
Contact:

Re: Macgregor 65/70 Discussion

Post by Highlander »

Boat Said !
HEY HIGHLANDER!! Did you get your bottom fixed yet?

OMG ! I hope thats not a proposition :o , my butts just fine thx U :P

I known u r talking about my trl center bunk failure ! :D " I Hope"

The hull repair is only 75% repaired due to early cold weather , next spring need to sand & prep for final finish coat then she,s go to go , the boat trl center bunk mod is all complete , but requires the boat off the trl to tighten up the installed U-Bolts that will prevent that really F@#%ing cheap unbelievable 3 wood screw original factory installation from ever happening again totally irresponsible that someone let that kinda crap go out the door like that 50# grocery carts r built 10,000 times stronger than that , what the hull were they thinking ! :evil: , their was certainly not alot of thought process put into that design :evil: & if anyone wants to challenge on that be prepared to not only lose the battle but the war ! Just look @ the design then check out the weight of the boat its a no Brain-er anyway enough said , :cry:

J :o
User avatar
BOAT
Admiral
Posts: 4968
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:12 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Oceanside, CA MACMJ213 2013 ETEC60

Re: Macgregor 65/70 Discussion

Post by BOAT »

Yeah, I knew that you did not put a wood screw in your butt - I think you said you put it in your bottom. You were gonna sand your bottom, not your butt, right? (Hey, who sands their butt anyways - well wait a minute, I do remember you once telling me to pound sand - is that what your talking about? :? )

Anyways, I'm glad your bottom is getting better - I think your post about the trailer is important; butt, I will not elaborate here, (although I too have considered launching from a shopping cart).

But back to the subject: The big question on everyone's 8) mind here is when is Highlander going to buy a MAC 65 or a new 70 and modify it to have THREE masts! Then it will be even faster than Rogers boat! 8)
User avatar
RobertB
Admiral
Posts: 1863
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:42 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Clarksville, MD

Re: Macgregor 65/70 Discussion

Post by RobertB »

Ha - I will not be impressed until I see the square rigged clipper ship version :wink:
tek
Chief Steward
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:08 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Prairie Village KS
Contact:

Re: Macgregor 65/70 Discussion

Post by tek »

BOAT wrote:What Highlander is trying to say is that I am full of it. Everybody already knows that - tell us something we don't already know like: how much does the 70 cost?

Still, Highlander makes me think - are you sure the 65 was not always a pilothouse boat? Are there any pictures of a 65 without a pilot house?
Hull #1 to hull #24 (1984 to 1987) did not have the pilot house and were a stripped down racing version with just one head, one cabin, and the rest was open space with bunks for crew. 75 pilot house versions from 1988 to 1995 were built. The pilot house had a more complete interior with two heads, showers, and a larger galley area. It is interesting to note some of the changes. Later versions had dinghy davits from the factory (might've been an option rather than standard). Also in the last couple of years 1994/1995 The engine was moved from being midship to an aft engine room separated by a bulkhead.

There are pictures of each on the two page linked below, as well as showing the significant differences in the floor plans. The 65-1 in the picture has been repainted, they started out with the recognizable Macgregor faux wrap-around window look.

For reference:
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2869
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2820
User avatar
BOAT
Admiral
Posts: 4968
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:12 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Oceanside, CA MACMJ213 2013 ETEC60

Re: Macgregor 65/70 Discussion

Post by BOAT »

tek wrote:
BOAT wrote:What Highlander is trying to say is that I am full of it. Everybody already knows that - tell us something we don't already know like: how much does the 70 cost?

Still, Highlander makes me think - are you sure the 65 was not always a pilothouse boat? Are there any pictures of a 65 without a pilot house?
Hull #1 to hull #24 (1984 to 1987) did not have the pilot house and were a stripped down racing version with just one head, one cabin, and the rest was open space with bunks for crew. 75 pilot house versions from 1988 to 1995 were built. The pilot house had a more complete interior with two heads, showers, and a larger galley area. It is interesting to note some of the changes. Later versions had dinghy davits from the factory (might've been an option rather than standard). Also in the last couple of years 1994/1995 The engine was moved from being midship to an aft engine room separated by a bulkhead.

There are pictures of each on the two page linked below, as well as showing the significant differences in the floor plans. The 65-1 in the picture has been repainted, they started out with the recognizable Macgregor faux wrap-around window look.

For reference:
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2869
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2820

I wonder who invented that wrap around window look?
User avatar
Russ
Admiral
Posts: 7677
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:01 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Bozeman, Montana "Luna Azul" 2008 M 70hp Suzi

Re: Macgregor 65/70 Discussion

Post by Russ »

BOAT wrote:I wonder who invented that wrap around window look?
Probably Roger Macgregor.
Wasn't his daughter Laura, she got rid of it on the Tattoo.

The question should be, will it be continued on the new 65/70 boats?
User avatar
BOAT
Admiral
Posts: 4968
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:12 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Oceanside, CA MACMJ213 2013 ETEC60

Re: Macgregor 65/70 Discussion

Post by BOAT »

Does anyone know when was the first time that those wrap around windows first appeared on yachts? I know they appeared on the big yachts first like in the James Bond movies? I just wonder where it all started.

Everyone must have been copying somebody because in the 80's they were everywhere - were they copying a boat that Roger made?
User avatar
Russ
Admiral
Posts: 7677
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:01 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Bozeman, Montana "Luna Azul" 2008 M 70hp Suzi

Re: Macgregor 65/70 Discussion

Post by Russ »

BOAT wrote:Does anyone know when was the first time that those wrap around windows first appeared on yachts? I know they appeared on the big yachts first like in the James Bond movies? I just wonder where it all started.

Everyone must have been copying somebody because in the 80's they were everywhere - were they copying a boat that Roger made?
Dunno. Got pictures?

The 80's also gave us the color teal, big hair
Image

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgZ7gMze7A
User avatar
Russ
Admiral
Posts: 7677
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:01 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Bozeman, Montana "Luna Azul" 2008 M 70hp Suzi

Re: Macgregor 65/70 Discussion

Post by Russ »

Latest Bond flicks are going retro. Classic wood sailing yachts.
Image

Image

Now Mr. Inmon, how about some photos of this new girl? Stripes? Wheelhouse? What's she gonna look like?
User avatar
dlandersson
Admiral
Posts: 4592
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:00 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Michigan City

Re: Macgregor 65/70 Discussion

Post by dlandersson »

That's quite a ummmm...boat. :wink:
RussMT wrote:Latest Bond flicks are going retro. Classic wood sailing yachts.
Image

Image

Now Mr. Inmon, how about some photos of this new girl? Stripes? Wheelhouse? What's she gonna look like?
tek
Chief Steward
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:08 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Prairie Village KS
Contact:

Re: Macgregor 65/70 Discussion

Post by tek »

BOAT wrote:Does anyone know when was the first time that those wrap around windows first appeared on yachts? I know they appeared on the big yachts first like in the James Bond movies? I just wonder where it all started.

Everyone must have been copying somebody because in the 80's they were everywhere - were they copying a boat that Roger made?
The earliest I am aware of is the MacGregor 36 (Catamaran) built in the late 70's and early 80's. It had the wrap-around window on each hull. Does anybody here know of an earlier example of the wrap-around window styling?
tek
Chief Steward
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:08 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Prairie Village KS
Contact:

Re: Macgregor 65/70 Discussion

Post by tek »

RobertB wrote:I generally like the MAC65/70. But one thing makes me uneasy about the design. I understand it has a diesel engine running a high flow pump to switch the water ballast from side to side depending on the tack (at least the 70). What happens if this engine/pump and/or associated valving fails and the ballast is on the wrong side? Sounds like there needs to be some kind of backup fail-safe system otherwise this sounds like it could be pretty dangerous.
Smaller racing boats use gravity and a valve between the ballast tanks.. simply open the valve and let gravity move the water to the leeward side just before the tack, then close the valve and it is time to tack, which results in the ballast already on the windward side coming out of the tack.

It is the primary system on those smaller boats, I see no reason this couldn't be the backup system on a larger boat, or even use it as primary when you don't want to utilize the engine for that purpose. Moving ballast with the engine might give you that edge when racing though.
User avatar
BOAT
Admiral
Posts: 4968
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:12 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Oceanside, CA MACMJ213 2013 ETEC60

Re: Macgregor 65/70 Discussion

Post by BOAT »

Mike Inmon said the transfer of water from one side to the other was not in minutes, he said it was in "seconds".
tek
Chief Steward
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:08 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Prairie Village KS
Contact:

Re: Macgregor 65/70 Discussion

Post by tek »

BOAT wrote:Mike Inmon said the transfer of water from one side to the other was not in minutes, he said it was in "seconds".
I second RobertB's question regarding the ballast system. Is there some sort of backup system or fail-safe?
User avatar
BOAT
Admiral
Posts: 4968
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:12 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Oceanside, CA MACMJ213 2013 ETEC60

Re: Macgregor 65/70 Discussion

Post by BOAT »

You just open the gate and flood the entire ballast system just like we do on the 26 boats. That is the back up - you still have a lot of ballast on board but you just can't move it from one side to the other - in short it becomes just like a regular water ballast system if there is no pump.
Post Reply