26X trailer swap

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
hart
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Foley, AL 2001 26X "Wind Song" 50 hp Mercury Classic MMSI/DSC: 338081191

Re: 26X trailer swap

Post by hart »

USMSea Hootch wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:40 pm What model it your Venture trailer?
The model is VATB-5925.
jpaszk

Post by jpaszk »

Thank you for the post
I am looking to buy new trailer for my 26x
Did you try to tow it with new trailer?
How it is working for you?
bobbpopp
Just Enlisted

Post by bobbpopp »

I am also interested in how the VATB-5925 works for you.
The Bow Eye to Transom Maximum is listed as 23ft.
Did you have to move the axles for better balance?
hart
Captain
Location: Foley, AL 2001 26X "Wind Song" 50 hp Mercury Classic MMSI/DSC: 338081191

Post by hart »

So the new trailer has been working well. I do have a few adjustments to make. The bunks need to sit a little better and I want to adjust the bow post. Here is a pic from about 2 weeks ago:

No I have not moved the axles. Following advice I found online I put the winch area of the boat over the front axle. She tows well.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Very nice! The old girl cleaned up nicely. Good for another 20 years. 8)
Tom
Be seeing you . . .
hart
Captain

Post by hart »

After all the sweat, blood, and money we’ve put in to her I sure hope so.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi Hart

Just RE-reading your post about your trailer swap.
You did a nice job of solving a challenging problem. Kudos to you!🎉🎉

How goes things with the new trailer after it’s newfound mobility?
Any further adventures?

(Just an aside:?Some have found that the addition of Gide poles fwd about two or so feet of the fwd axle makes launching and retrieving a bit easier as is the addition of a guide rope from the aft guide posts to the top of the winch post.)

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
hart
Captain

Post by hart »

New guide poles are in my garage. I’ll install them one of these years!

The boat got sidelined this past year due to some health issues and family stuff.

We were just talking the other day about trying to take her out for some late summer and fall sailing though.
PhysicsTeacher
Deckhand

Post by PhysicsTeacher »

One thing to look at:
My friend replaced his original 98X trailer with a double axel aluminum. Things worked great, but he noticed that his centerboard cable snapped once a year or so (which was very unusual). He finally realized that the OEM trailer had a board right underneath the centerboard which kept it from bouncing up and down while trailering. His new trailer didn't, so the centerboard cable was taking a beating while trailering (since the board was constantly bouncing up and down a couple of inches). His solution: after putting his X on the trailer, he drops the centerboard so that it's resting on the trailer crossbeam. Then, at the ramp, he pulls the centerboard back up before launching.
Problem solved.

Just something for you to keep an eye on.

Kelvin
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

hart wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:41 am New guide poles are in my garage. I’ll install them one of these years!

The boat got sidelined this past year due to some health issues and family stuff.

We were just talking the other day about trying to take her out for some late summer and fall sailing though.
Glad to hear from you! Sorry you had a rough spot. Hope things get better and you can get back on the water. Well, if the weather improves... :)
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

PhysicsTeacher wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:52 pm One thing to look at:
My friend replaced his original 98X trailer with a double axel aluminum. Things worked great, but he noticed that his centerboard cable snapped once a year or so (which was very unusual). He finally realized that the OEM trailer had a board right underneath the centerboard which kept it from bouncing up and down while trailering. His new trailer didn't, so the centerboard cable was taking a beating while trailering (since the board was constantly bouncing up and down a couple of inches). His solution: after putting his X on the trailer, he drops the centerboard so that it's resting on the trailer crossbeam. Then, at the ramp, he pulls the centerboard back up before launching.
Problem solved.

Just something for you to keep an eye on.

Kelvin
That's the way my aftermarket trailer is set up as well. It also has a small piece of vinyl attached to the crossbeam to reduce damage to the keel while it is resting there.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me