Wind Song (26X) repairs and mods log

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
hart
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Foley, AL 2001 26X "Wind Song" 50 hp Mercury Classic MMSI/DSC: 338081191

Re: Wind Song (26X) repairs and mods log

Post by hart »

I just couldn’t stand it and bought a new fixed mount VHF. I went with a Uniden UM725 for the sole reason it fits in my existing mount so the swap was a 5 minute job. I tested the new radio with my backup antenna and it works fine so we should be good. I’ll test on the main antenna next time we raise the mast.

My secondary anchor setup arrived as well so I put together the new Fortress. There are two small but interesting differences from my 10+ year old anchor (both Fortress FX-7). On my original, the instructions said to install the mud palms for mud and silt bottoms. The new instructions say to permanently install them for all bottom types.

So I put them on both anchors. The other difference is the OD of the nuts used to attach the palms is just slightly different. Same thread and pitch size for the screw though so it doesn’t matter.

I ordered line and chain from Amazon for this anchor. The line seems ok and has a reflective tracer in it. That’s handy. I’m not sure about the chain. Firstly it’s only 6 feet of stainless. I did that on purpose as this will be our beaching/lunch hook and I wanted it lighter than the main anchor. The main anchor has much longer and beefier proof coil. But now I’m having second thoughts on the new chain and may swap it out. It seems too light.

It also came with two bow shackles I don’t like the looks of.

The addition of the ring ding would seem to be nice at first glance to keep the pin in, but it allows it to unscrew most of the way. That seems unwise as it puts the load on just a few threads. Plus that pointy end of the ring looks like something that will snag a line or crew member. I’ll be seizing the shackles properly instead.

We’ll try it, but at the sacrifice of the crew’s (read wife) convenience I really see me upgrading the chain if we end up using it for anything more than perfect weather days.

I also removed the galley sink faucet yesterday. It wouldn’t prime. After a ten minute soak in a water/vinegar solution it’s working again so I reinstalled. Easy fix.

Last trip, the in hull transducer wasn’t functioning. Apparently it’s sprung a leak. My oldest child refilled it with water a few times during the last trip and that worked temporarily. I need to climb down there and figure out where the leak is/repair. I suppose it could be the o ring on the cover but I suspect it’s at the hull/transducer joint. I used wax from a plumbing ring (like you install a toilet with) to mount it 15 years ago. My guess is the wax has dried out. 15 years was a good run but probably time to replace.

The kids are waking up. Time to get them moving and get myself ready for work. The repairs will continue this evening.
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

Yea, that shackle looks a bit janky. Ring dings just don't make sense to me on an anchor. I'd replace it and wire it shut.

I'm not sure what you mean by transducer sprung a leak and you refilled it with water.

I just upgraded my chartplotter and used this putty to bed the transducer. It seems to work well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Ben ... /100212441
--Russ
hart
Captain
Location: Foley, AL 2001 26X "Wind Song" 50 hp Mercury Classic MMSI/DSC: 338081191

Post by hart »

Mine is a similar to this one - Navico P79 in-Hull Transducer (37370) https://a.co/d/cLizlgK

There is a chamber you attach to the hull and fill with fluid. Typically either marine/rv antifreeze or mineral oil.
hart
Captain

Post by hart »

We had an eventful evening. My oldest was helping me install new cup holders and I taught him how to seize the shackles on the anchor chain

I let him raise the mast (his first time) and then we were repaired the lazy jack system the previous owner had designed. I really need to remember to get pictures of it. It’s clever.

While we had the mast up we retested all the nav lights. And we tested the radio. Everything works.

And while we were on the boat the Admiral surprised us with her own mod for Wind Song:

I’m looking forward to proudly flying it.
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

Looking good!
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
hart
Captain

Post by hart »

Yesterday I took a look at the transducer. I swear I installed it with wax. Either I’m wrong or at some point I rebedded with what looks like 3m 4200.

At any rate, it was still holding water from our temp repair and I can’t find a leak. I drained it and dried everything off. There was some bilge funk on the silicone O ring on the screw on lid. Maybe that was the issue? I gave all parts a little cleaning and put a little silicone lube on the O ring and refilled with marine antifreeze. Hopefully that solves the problem.

My oldest gave the topsides another wash with Orpine. I’m so proud he’s starting to help take responsibility for the boat.

When I bought the boat in 2008 it came with a 2 burner propane stove screwed into the galley. I used it for a long time blissfully unaware of the danger it posed. One one trip many years ago the system leaked. How do you deal with a propane leak on the water? I don’t know since we don’t have a blower and vent setup for our bilges. At any rate that leak scared me enough I quit using the stove but never uninstalled.

Yesterday the admiral and I removed it. And it was a chore! The bolt and nut attaching it to the galley were seized up. After several applications of PB Blaster, a few attempts with the heat gun and pulling out the “I’m not asking” tools the bolt finally sheared off.

The galley top seems so big without the stove on it. I’d like to find some sort of replacement at some point but I think we’ll sail a while just using the grill in the cockpit for now and reserve the galley top for meal prep and other chores.

We then organized the boat a bit going through all the lockers and removing various detritus accumulated that we no longer need.

We also dropped the table. One issue with long trips and a family of 5 on board is storage space. For us, the table ends up being covered with stuff and not used.

So we’re going to try using it for storage this next trip. Food and light weight supplies on top. Heavier stuff below the table on the sole. It should be easy enough to rig up some netting to keep stuff from sliding around. I also think I’ll get one of those rubber non skid mats like you put under a rug and lay it on the table top.

Is there more to do? Always! I need to replace the lifelines this year. The plastic coating is degraded and worn away in many spots. I’m pondering using Dyneema as a replacement. Anyone tried it?

There’s various gouges in the gel coat and it’s flat out worn away in a couple spots. The trailer is serviceable but needs some love to stay that way. But the boat is in better shape than it’s been in many years.

We splash in 7 days for a six day adventure, BEER cruise 2023. I have one last small project to do before then. My two older boys are both Scouts and they’ve asked to be able to do flag ceremonies in the mornings and evenings. Rather than using a working halyard I’ll attach another small block up the mast for a dedicated flag line. Should be easy enough.

PS. I forgot one. Dollar Tree has these outdoor pillows for $5. I bought a handful.

I’m quite sure they won’t float, but I think they’ll be a comfortable addition to the cabin as well as in the cockpit when anchored.
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

Looking good. Post more on the BEER cruise when you can.

hart wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:09 am Yesterday I took a look at the transducer. I swear I installed it with wax. Either I’m wrong or at some point I rebedded with what looks like 3m 4200.

At any rate, it was still holding water from our temp repair and I can’t find a leak. I drained it and dried everything off. There was some bilge funk on the silicone O ring on the screw on lid. Maybe that was the issue? I gave all parts a little cleaning and put a little silicone lube on the O ring and refilled with marine antifreeze. Hopefully that solves the problem.
Interesting that the "transducer box" is bedded in 4200. I guess it needs to be.
A simpler solution is to just bed the transducer directly in wax or putty or silicone caulk. I've never been a fan of those liquid boxes. Need to be filled?

Is there more to do? Always! I need to replace the lifelines this year. The plastic coating is degraded and worn away in many spots. I’m pondering using Dyneema as a replacement. Anyone tried it?
Mine are bare SS cable. No plastic. Dyneema might work, but seems like it would be rougher than wire. And how would you tension it?
Rather than using a working halyard I’ll attach another small block up the mast for a dedicated flag line. Should be easy enough.
What are you planning flying from the top of the mast? (etiquette?)
To fly something ABOVE the top of the mast, you will need a pig stick.
https://sailuniverse.com/2017/04/07/how ... pig-stick/
--Russ
hart
Captain

Post by hart »

The transducer “box” is basically just a pipe the actual unit screws onto. It doesn’t have a bottom. So you seal around the edges and fill with liquid. I like it personally.

My biggest concern with switching to dyneema would be rope burn to the crew and possible chaffing through the stanchions. I think you could get the tension right using the existing chain plates.

As for the flag and etiquette I don’t know yet. I’ve thought about a pig stick. Typically we fly all our flags for beer cruise as it’s a special event. The US flag off the stern, and various others on the stays and sometimes partially up the mainsail halyard.

I’m thinking I might rig a halyard to run 2/3 up the back stay for this trip - https://stingysailor.com/2019/07/27/mak ... -colors-2/. And as I was just typing this, it occurred to me I can probably adjust my topping lift a bit and let them use it instead. Hmm.
hart
Captain

Post by hart »

It’s a Monday morning at about 6:00 am. I’ve been working on the boat about an hour packing and organizing for BEER 2023. At some point I’ll start a log in the trip section for the event. Plan is to launch on Thursday.

We’ve packed everything except perishable food and clothing. Most likely everything we need is boxed up in the garage, and everything we don’t need is loaded up on the boat.

While packing I’ve noticing a few things I want to add to my repairs log as a personal reminder.

There’s a fair bit of rust staining on the starboard side of the hull above the dinette. It’s probably time to inspect the chain plates and see if anything needs replacing and then reseal everything up.

It also looks like I need to seal around the top edge of the rubrail too. Will black 4200 be enough or do I need to use 5200? Something else? I’m not sure.

Need a new water bag/tank… something for the sink in the head. We don’t really use that sink but I like having the extra water capacity.

I’ve switched all the nav lights to led but the two cabin lights are still incandescent. That’s kind of silly and a waste of precious battery power. Time to figure out what I want instead and install.

And finally I found a couple 12v outlets buried deep in the bilge I bought years ago. I really should get around to installing those one of these days.
pitchpolehobie
First Officer

Post by pitchpolehobie »

The bwyachts cabin lights do not require knowing polarity of DC source like typical LEDs. Buy theirs. Easy drop in replavement. Im very happy.

https://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/8407-1v0.htm

For the rubrail i used the following sealant and have had no water intrusion since. I believe it was on the recommendstion of someone here. I just ran a bead of thid around where the rubber meats thr fiberglass. Then angled and smoothed likr you would for interior caulking. Took 20min. I would personally avoid 4200 or 5200 on that type of job. I believe they used 4200 or 5200 when putting the hull together by the thru-bolts on my 26x.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-10-1-oz ... /100137850

Post pictures of the meet up wish i could make it
2002 MacGregor 26X: Remedium
Tohatsu 25HP
Cruising Area: Inland Ohio, Lake Erie
hart
Captain

Post by hart »

pitchpolehobie wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:56 am The bwyachts cabin lights do not require knowing polarity of DC source like typical LEDs. Buy theirs. Easy drop in replavement. Im very happy.

https://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/8407-1v0.htm

For the rubrail i used the following sealant and have had no water intrusion since. I believe it was on the recommendstion of someone here. I just ran a bead of thid around where the rubber meats thr fiberglass. Then angled and smoothed likr you would for interior caulking. Took 20min. I would personally avoid 4200 or 5200 on that type of job. I believe they used 4200 or 5200 when putting the hull together by the thru-bolts on my 26x.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-10-1-oz ... /100137850

Post pictures of the meet up wish i could make it
We’ll do. I like to do Facebook live videos too. I’ll try to remember to make them public and list a link in the trip reports.

That sealant looks interesting. Flexible, UV resistant and not silicone. Thanks for the tip on that and the bulbs.