Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: So I just bought a Mac X....

Post by opie »

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

I use one rudder all the time for going into and leaving the marina. I don't know that I would actively sail that way. 8)
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

svscott wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:25 pm

Quick ? to anyone who may know... how do I size my pictures so you can actually see what going on when I upload the pic? I know you can click on the image to make it bigger but there's no way to zoom in on the pic I've opened unless you save the image to your device or screenshot it.

You can click the image and copy the raw image address. Then post that image (paste) into a post and use the [ img ] tags to display it.

--Russ
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Drifter wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:27 am For those curious, the GPS on my watch (Garmin 5X) claimed the top speed was 13.99 knots, then later 15 knots, though that was when the tide was changing, so might be with, against or neutral. That's 3 adult men, ice box full to the brim, with full water containers in the head and galley, and all the usual gumph on the boat.
I'm assuming that's WITH ballast. Not a bad speed. These boats do not get the brochure advertised speeds. Even without ballast, that would be close to expected speeds.
--Russ
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Awww... say it ain't so :P
Russ wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:41 am These boats do not get the brochure advertised speeds. Even without ballast, that would be close to expected speeds.
Drifter
First Officer

Post by Drifter »

There's no way to adjust the pics I don't think.
Drifter
First Officer

Post by Drifter »

[/quote]

I'm assuming that's WITH ballast. Not a bad speed. These boats do not get the brochure advertised speeds. Even without ballast, that would be close to expected speeds.
[/quote]

Nope, ballast empty and not carrying the mast (still in the garden).

In fairness I simply took the engine to 6,000 rpm, though I suspect there was more throttle left. That I could redline the thing suggests the engine is running OK, and I held it there for 30 seconds to see if it would overheat, and it seems happy enough.

We've talked about the prop before and I think the one on there is pretty standard, but it did feel too low-geared, in that it was easy to rev it up to the red line on flat water. I guess that's better than a max top speed but no torque on rough water?

I still want to find a little backup engine that suits, then i'll be happy to cruise fair distances in the thing. It's not fast but if you give yourself a few hours or a day or two then even 5 mph will get you places :) For sure it's a different vibe from my speedboat but it's actually about as fast as my previous 19 ft deep V with a 90 hp 2-stroke. But vastly more space, comfort, style and safety, with drastically better fuel consumption!

Actually fuel was a pleasant surprise. Did around 22 nautical miles, both with and against the current as we hopped around various fishing spots over a 7 hour trip. Started with something less than a full tank, ended with 3/4 of a tank still, according to the gauge. That really is a drastic and welcome difference. :D
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Glad you had a good outing! Really glad you got the motor running better.
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Drifter
First Officer

Post by Drifter »

Me too :)

What I'm trying to find now is a replacement hydraulic oil filler cap for the tilt. My one is pink from the sun (brittle?) and badly chewed up. It can be used but I'd really like to replace it, plus I have no spare and it looks easy to lose.

I have the shop manual but I'm still not sure of the part number. Just says "Oil hole cap" and not to re-use the O ring, which I obviously do because no spare parts...

Anyone know the actual part number so I can search for it?
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Drifter wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:21 am In fairness I simply took the engine to 6,000 rpm, though I suspect there was more throttle left. That I could redline the thing suggests the engine is running OK, and I held it there for 30 seconds to see if it would overheat, and it seems happy enough.

We've talked about the prop before and I think the one on there is pretty standard, but it did feel too low-geared, in that it was easy to rev it up to the red line on flat water. I guess that's better than a max top speed but no torque on rough water?

I still want to find a little backup engine that suits, then i'll be happy to cruise fair distances in the thing. It's not fast but if you give yourself a few hours or a day or two then even 5 mph will get you places :) For sure it's a different vibe from my speedboat but it's actually about as fast as my previous 19 ft deep V with a 90 hp 2-stroke. But vastly more space, comfort, style and safety, with drastically better fuel consumption!

Actually fuel was a pleasant surprise. Did around 22 nautical miles, both with and against the current as we hopped around various fishing spots over a 7 hour trip. Started with something less than a full tank, ended with 3/4 of a tank still, according to the gauge. That really is a drastic and welcome difference. :D
Yep, may be under propped.

Looks like that motor WOT is 5500-6000
https://www.rubexprops.com/boat-propell ... make=Honda

If you still had more juice in that throttle, it's probably too small of a prop.
--Russ
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

+1 on the prop and RPM range. If you still have throttle at 6K on that engine then you are underpropped.
Bill
2001 26X Simple Interest
Honda BF40D
"If I were in a hurry I would not have bought a sailboat." Me
Drifter
First Officer

Post by Drifter »

Now that the mothership Big Mac is nearly complete, time to play with the babyboat... The Little Mac :)
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Nice!
Jimmyt
P-Cub-Boo
2013 26M, Etec 60, roller Genoa, roller main
Cruising Waters: Mobile Bay, Western Shore, Fowl River
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Nice "little" tender. Catch looks yummy.
--Russ
Drifter
First Officer

Post by Drifter »

What I really really want is a little nesting dinghy.

Something like this: