Where is ;Madd Mike’ and Zeno’s Arrow

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Where is ;Madd Mike’ and Zeno’s Arrow

Post by Ixneigh »

Beh. Why limit yourself to one side. No way. See BOTH sides. Don’t worry about northers. The boats draft will allow you protection in many places. Even on shallow banks in the middle of nowhere. Here’s what I’d do for like two weeks:

Launch at county line marina after stocking in Fl. city. Cross key first night. (dog run beach but it’s tiny) from there, sunset cove, waterfront dining.(tarpon basin if you don’t want water front food) Next, islamorada, Lorelei restaurant district. Two days here because there’s lots of stuff to do on shore. From there, book it to marathon, and get any last minute stuff.(there a public park and ramp) Next day, stop at Ohio key, just past 7 mile bridge. Park in the cuts behind the small bridges. This is a very pretty place for kayaking. But don’t get hung up. Next, go down into big Spanish channel. (Leave Ohio key at dawn) If the tide is high, work your way across the shallows near the end of big Spanish channel to the content keys. It’s pretty shallow. If you don’t want to risk it, go out the end of big Spanish channel
and sail in the gulf instead. The access to Content Keys small harbor is vague. You’ll have to be able to read the water unless you have a GPS waypoint from someone. There is a very unpleasant rocky ledge near by. Do not do this in strong onshore conditions the first time. I usually choose the shallows option. Content keys and surrounding area is lovely. It’s very like the Bahamas.

Expect strong current in these cuts where you’ll be anchoring. From here, go to Tarpon Belly keys. This is popular with weekenders. There’s some other pretty areas to the southwest also. The Unpleasant Rocky Ledge is a recurring theme on the deep water gulf side of these keys so be careful. Don’t mess around there in bad light, or bad weather. Or check things out first in the dinghy. Further notes on this area: The scary “stars” (*) that can be seen on the chart on the shallow side hereabouts seemingly do not exist. I actually looked for them and couldn’t find them. There is probably also a bit more water here than shown. 6 inches probably. Some areas have considerable more.
So you’ve spent three days here and probably would like to not leave. Sorry. It’s time to return to Ohio key, Or go out in the gulf back towards Fl. Bay and then head for seven mile bridge depending on weather. Go under the bridge and and spend a night anchored by Molasses Keys. Both little keys are private property and landing is forbidden, but the surrounding water is very pretty. It’s a popular weekend place. Next, stop at boot key harbor if you need anything. It’s tempting to try to get Bahia Honda park into this trip. But that’s for another, lower keys adventure.
From boot key, stop at Long Key Bight and dinghy over to beachcomb the SE shore, OR skip that and stop at Indian key. This is a fascinating historical area. There are also some Atlantic reefs not too far away. From Indian key you have a choice: Return to the gulf side via snake creek draw bridge and return to Countyline marina, or continue to angelfish creek on the ocean side. Depending if your prefs. There are plenty of nice snorkeling reefs in hawk channel all the way to angelfish creek. Stops include Rock Harbor (last place to pick up any supplies) garden cove, old Rhodes key and nearby creeks. Then back to county line marina with a last stop at Alabama jacks and cross key.
This itinerary requires good anchors. 2, Minimum 25 pounds, chain etc. it assumes you want to anchor out as much as possible.
I carry a fifty pound fisherman anchor, a delta 12 (useless here) and an FX 35 fortress in the aft bunk locker. The fisherman has 80 feet of 1/4 inch chain and fifty feet of 5/8 nylon. All this is overkill but I just kept getting larger anchors till we didn’t drag much any more. (Keys are notorious for difficult anchoring) The ability to read the water depth is handy but not imperative until you get to the middle keys. Everything is pretty well marked but once in the Big Spanish channel/Content Keys district, you’ll be doing it by eye. Have good sunglasses. Spare prop too.

Ix
"Shoal Idea"
2011 M, white
Etec 60
South Fl.
lobodoug

Post by lobodoug »

Hey Mike, I stumbled upon this update for you today. I knew you when you were in the Virgin Islands, working for Nauti Nymphs, if memory serves correctly. I was captain on the cattle-maran Calypso back then. I think we met on Peter and Gail's boat? I just remember sitting in the cockpit of a boat telling travel stories after running trips through the day.

I ended up leaving St John and sailing to the Philippines and hung out for 3 years or so, then finishing the loop around and going back to work on the big tourist boats in St John to get funds to retire. I even sold my boat (Fellow Traveler, a Morgan 461) and bought a little shack that I slowly turned into a St John Shack-teau. All was on track to retire when my license came up for renewal at 62 - but then Hurricane Irma hit us - wiped out most of the tourism for over a year! I spent another year on the shack-teau and sold it and retired to the Philippines on the proceeds and a small SS check each month. I miss St John and friends there, but don't miss the high cost of living! Live is good here. I've got a little cottage in the country with views of a couple old volcanoes from the yard. No boats. Too much work! A fine finish to a life squandered on useless things like sailing, seeing new places, and meeting people from different cultural backgrounds! I hope you will update your travels on the new boat here (or post a link if somewhere else). Doug
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Doug.

You were doing so well, until this;
A fine finish to a life squandered on useless things like sailing, seeing new places, and meeting people from different cultural backgrounds!
:D
Ray ~~_/)~~
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by OverEasy »

:D :D Wasn’t there a story that ended about a guy walking inland with a oar over his shoulder until someone asked what it was?…🤔🙄 :D :D
SpainishAngel1

Post by SpainishAngel1 »

Wow, this forum has been a blast from the past! Mike and I first met on the radio when we were both sailing from the Turks and Caicos to the Dominican Republic way back in 1998, him on Zeno’s Arrow and me on my first boat Excor. The next morning, when we met in real life in Luperon, we must have hit it off because we were actually still speaking to each other up until a few years ago when Hurricanes Irma and Maria knocked me off this planet and I lost track of pretty much everyone. I have to thank my wife, Gail, for getting curious about Mike and finding this forum. I don’t usually read forums and I really don’t like to post anything. In fact, this is the only forum I’m a member of (as of today) and it is only because of Mike. I also avoid Facebook like the plague so please call me an outlier.
Mike and I explored much of the USVI and BVI together sharing many anchorages and even more cocktails. That was when I was an expert Goombay Smash mixer. I'm sure I never heard all of Mike's stories, but many of them I heard more than once.
Many years later, after both of us left the VI, and I had a new boat, Spanish Angel, and a new wife, Gail, we both surprisingly met back in St John USVI and shared an anchorage for several years (the dates are muddied in my memory). Who else lived in the anchorage with us, Fellow Traveler (lobodoug). I haven’t heard from Doug since he moved back to the Philippines after the hurricanes. It was a surprise to see his post. Doug, if you read this, how about a couple of visitors this winter?
I haven’t seen Zeno’s Arrow since that infamous parking lot in Minden, Nevada. To tell you the truth, she looked a little dry and lonely being that far from the ocean, but Mike was thriving. Hopefully, she is getting sailed more now and is happier having a bunch of boy scouts to take care of.
I saw Mike a couple of times since then, once when he pulled into my driveway in Taos with his land yacht. Unsurprisingly, he was pulling a trailer for his car and in typical Mike fashion, once the car was unloaded, the trailer could be used as a platform for his inflatable hot tub. Mike always likes to have a conversation piece!
The last time I saw him was in St John after he and Ann got married. It is good to know that as of at least two years ago, when he last posted, that all is going as usual for him - always another adventure in sight!!! Fair winds and following seas Mike!

Thank you all for the memories, Peter and Gail
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Any time. Come again soon, yahear. :)
Ray ~~_/)~~
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

These stories are so much fun to read. Live vicariously.
--Russ
OverEasy
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by OverEasy »

A very wise person once told me :

“Every life is a novel … some waiting for the words … others waiting to be read … all are potential best sellers”

“The shared stories of our lives weaves the fabric of a constructive supportive fabric of a progressive functional society”

“Every time a vessel leaves its slip is an adventure to be remembered upon its safe arrival and should be shared.”

“We are all travelers on the journey of a lifetime adventure that leads us all to paths and futures to destinations undreamed of.”

“We are all the acting authors of our lives responses to the challenges that are beyond our control… one needs courage to choose to do the next right thing based on our skills gained by ceaseless preparation and knowledge.”

“By choosing to live with kindness, acceptance and empathy when dealing with others in distress we can become the often unsung heros in the life story of others.”

“Always chose to be your better self when confronted with difficult circumstances .. it will always make for a better story.”

Best Regards to All
Over Easy
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Poor Richard has told me much. This one applies.

“If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.”
Ray ~~_/)~~