BWY Pedestal Guard + Table for 26X

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Democritus
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

BWY Pedestal Guard + Table for 26X

Post by Democritus »

Hi all,

I'm interested in purchasing the BWY pedestal guard + table ( http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/6304-1x0.htm ). Looking through the site, I see a number of people have installed it but I couldn't find any documentation or pictures of the install. Is it fairly straightforward? I'm guessing you just drill straight down through the cockpit sole into the rear berth and bolt it on? Are you then gouging out chunks from the top of your head or back on the exposed bolts as you crawl around the rear berth? :D It's fairly pricey so I didn't want to get one without knowing what I was getting into. Thanks!
Vince
"Spiraling Shape" 2002 26X
Tohatsu MFS50A
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: BWY Pedestal Guard + Table for 26X

Post by kmclemore »

I can't give you an answer as I don't have one. However, the folks at BWY are very knowledgeable and honest, so you could simply ring them and ask their thoughts on your questions - I'm certain they can tell you, and may even offer tips to make it easier.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

I have this pedestal and table, factory installed.

There are no exposed bolts on the aft berth. Everything is done behind the liner. There are a few holes in the liner to plug afterwards.

There is a huge amount of space inside the pedestal for wiring and electronics. The table is so-so, it's small, not fiddled, and slippery. But better than not having a table at all.
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Here, I just went and took some photos:

Holes in the headliner.

Looking straight up into the holes:
Excuse the traces of putty: I just brought the Autopilot motor cable down from the pedestal and had to remove all the duct-seal putty that I was using as a spider-stop.

The autopilot cable is the one that comes down through the central hole, which has a sleeve, and then back up into the adjacent hole and behind the headliner. I was able to fish it through the styrofoam and have it come out pretty close to where I mounted the EV-1 sensor core, well close enough that it's invisible to anyone who isn't looking for it in the aft berth.
Democritus
Chief Steward

Post by Democritus »

Thank you so much, that's really helpful! So: Make sure to order some liner plugs with the table.

And, yeah, I know it's not the nicest table ever, especially for the price, but I am no craftsman so I'll always go with something pre-fab than me wasting time and money trying to make something that will turn out hideous. I also miss the having that hook for the mainsheet on the guard as opposed to the pedestal (I had it on my previous Mac). It's a fairly small difference but it's significant!
Vince
"Spiraling Shape" 2002 26X
Tohatsu MFS50A
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

We have the table you are considering. We use it constantly, on every trip, for meals and snacks. The mainsheet loop on top is very desirable and useful.
While the table is narrow, it suits the two of us. When we have more people on board for snacks or meals we bungee on the top of the narrow table one of the Mac's plywood seat storage board covers, size varies, thus making it twice as large.

Sorry, never thought to photograph it.
Opie
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

p.s. - IMO, add those white BWY drink holders to your order.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Hi StarScream!

That aft berth light is really cool!
(I’m afraid that the Admiral is gonna ask me if we can do something similar! :D :D )

Could you post what lights you used and where you got them?
Are they 12 VDC or did yo have to make an adaptation?

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

OverEasy wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:26 pm Hi StarScream!

That aft berth light is really cool!
(I’m afraid that the Admiral is gonna ask me if we can do something similar! :D :D )

Could you post what lights you used and where you got them?
Are they 12 VDC or did yo have to make an adaptation?

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈

Hi O.E.

Those lights were just a roll of LED strip-lights from Amazon for $30 CDN. They are kinda cool, and add a very nice ambiance. In their white-color setting, they can be used to read.

They come with a 120V/12V adapter, and all you have to do is cut the 120V transformer part off and wire the 12V directly through a fuse.

They need their own on/off switch though, because they automatically come ON when the power is turned on. That's OK if they are the only thing on the breaker, but if you have other stuff on the same main breaker it's convenient to have a dedicated switch to keep them off. When I installed the Autopilot I added a second breaker panel on the starboard side, so the LEDs get their power from there. I have a couple of USB switches on the same breaker, so if I want to use the USB but not the LEDs I have to manually turn the LEDs off with the remote. Not a huge deal, but I may go back and add the on/off switch.

They come with an adhesive backing, so it's simple to install, and you can cut the roll to any length you want if the 32.8 ft is too much. I would recommend, though, a careful cleaning of the fiberglass before sticking on the LEDs; I didn't do a great job of cleaning in a couple of places and the light strip is hanging loose in a couple of (non visible) places because of it.

They do draw a fair amount of power on the high setting, but that drops down a lot when they are dimmed down a bit. I forget the numbers, but on the high setting it was enough draw for me to remember not to use them for too long on high when out on anchor.
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Thanks StarScream!

Appreciate the help!
(I’m thinking I might be able to sneak these into the boat to surprise the admiral :) )
The heads up on the power draw is also a good thing to know…. (🙄given there is every probability of me draining the battery …🙄)

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈